• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The joy of new parts

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been ordering some of the things I need for the completion of my car, including some tools I've wanted to get for a while. I purchased from Sprots and Classics, Moss and a local guy who mwkes a few specialty I just love when the new parts arrive. I spent the night looking over everything that has come in so far.

I really like the reproduction single bolt side view mirrors. the quality of the chrome looks excellent and they were very inexpensive. (crazy fact, you can get a seperate reproduction plate for the back of the mirror that has "Lucas" stamped in it. this little quarter size plate costs almost as much as the mirror!!!)

The seatbelt I got from Sports and Classics look good, except that the chrome finish on the buckles is a little pocked. It does not look like a high quality job. The MG/Austin Healy badge attached to the buckles looks good.

The reproduction Unisynch tool looked to be of very good quality, as did the reproduction SU tool kit. I needed these to do the final tune of the engine, I also need to get the Tach working in order to time the engine properly.

The knock-offs came from S&C and really look excellent. Maybe even better than original. I think they are the same as Moss sells, but I was really impressed with the quality of the chrome and the sharpness of the lettering.

S&C also has the replacement helmet head positive ground battery cable (Moss does not have it) for a reasonable price, but it is covered in black plastic. I'm not sure that is original, but is sure looks a lot closer than the red cable with the pinch clamp I'm using now.

S&C also has the correct style engine-to-frame ground strap that is exposed, woven metal with a silver finish. The one I bought from a Moss distributor some months back was covered in plastic and is the wrong wire size.

I bought one of the Moss Motors front end alignment gauges. It looked so cheap and crudly made when I opened it, but after assembling it and testing it on the ar, it seems that it will work just fine. I'm currently suffering from too much toe-out.

The off-set bushing to adjust front camber look excellent, but I probably won't install these until after the car is completed and I have driven it for a while.

I bought the little rubber cap for the high beam switch and popped it on last night. It fits great.

I bought two front fender hardware kits, because I noticed my restorer had used generic bolts at the bottom of each front wing rather than the correct style bolt and washers. The replacements look great, but I will have to very carefully replace them and then paint them by hand after they are installed. (PITA!!) I will have a bunch of bolts left over for the fender to shroud connection, if anyone needs some.

The wire wheel spoke wrench was interesting. How the heck are you supposed to get the thing on to the spokes? It is a real "forced fit" and clearly something that should be done after the wheels are stripped of paint and before they are repainted.

The new bezel and screen for the speaker opening in the console look about 10 times better than my old ones. While they are pricey for what little you get, they are a bunch cheaper than trying to refinish the old ones.

I ordered another rubber grommet kit because I still have some holes in the bulkheads that need to be plugged. However, the holes I have seem to be samllaer than the plugs included in the kit. I may return the kit as I do not need any of the other plugs and grommets.

I'm not waiting for the metal spacers for under the seats and a piece of veneer for the inside of my glove box.

Now all I need is time and motivation to finish installing that carpet kit!!!