• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 windshield isntall

griff

Anyone in the greater Raleigh NC area use a local glass co to do their windshield isntall?

I have taken a couple of shots using the TRF supplied gasket matl but I am thinking it is just too thick and I am not getting close.

However with fresh chrome, I don't want to hall it around to everywhere (risking damage)to find one with the skill and interest to do it.

Advise welcome and yes I have tried lubing the gasket while wrapped on the glass, I tried installing the gaskett in the frame, lubing it inside and sliding the glass in etc etc.

Thanks,

Griff

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Re: TR3 windshield install

Aloha Griff,

I can't help you with a local auto glass shop. If you can't find one and are still having problems with the glazing strip here is some advise from another forum member, Don Elliot. I saved it because it is a job I'm going to have to do sometime soon.

"TR3 WIND SCREEN GLASS REPLACEMENT, Don Elliot

As for the rubber seal that goes around the glass where it sits in the frame, I used 4 layers of black electric tape over the edge. I determined this by measuring the thickness of the glass and subtracted this from the dimension of the groove in the chromed frame. Four layers of tape means 4 layers on each side since it was taped over the edge. 8 layers at 0.004" each is 0.032" total. Then I slid it all together, screwed the corners, etc. and using a sharp knife, I trimmed off the excess tape. It looks great and is much easier to do than the thick, stiff rubber that is available for supposedly doing this."

D

DougF

I reused the original material. It resembles friction tape, which is what I'll use when I get the frame rechromed.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan

I ran with the 4 layers of electric tape for several months but rain leaked in all around. The tape stretches as you pull it tight and especially in the corners where it goes around the bottom corners, the tape gets very thin.

Then I found that I had a roll of the correct tape with the perfect thickness sitting on a shelf in my garage and it worked like a charm. It is from Moss and is wide enough to leave an excess all around. Then I trimmed off this excess with a sharp pointed knife.

Attachments

• 19323.jpg
    19323.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 245
OP
G

griff

Dave,

In this same string Don indicates that the tape was a temporary solution and started leaking so he switched to the Moss supplied Gasket.

Anyone successfully use the TRF gasket? Whats the secret?

Griff

Don Elliott

Obi Wan

I bought and used a TRF gasKet for the windscreen in 1990 during the restoration of my 1958 TR3A. I don't know what they are supplying now but I'll relate what I found out about the roll of gasket shey sold me in 1990.

The roll looked like the one from Moss, but it was a like a foam cell sponge. The cells in the foam were "open-cells". This means that it will absorb water into the open cells like a sponge and it leaked rain - almost as if it was not there. Also it was so stretchy that when I tried to pull it tight, it became much thinner and actually cut right through itself on the sharp lower corners of the glass. So I took it out even after sealing the edges with clear silicone bathtub sealer in a squeeze tube.

If TRF have switched to the solid rubber similar to the Moss-supplied glazing rubber, I'd say buy from them. But another time, I bought a roll of this from TRF and while it was like the Moss product, it was too thick to fit it all into the frame and the rubber was too hard (not flexible enough) to easily wrap around the glass. I tried holding this rubber glazing strip over the edge with masking tape till I could finish the assembly but I never succeeded. So at that time, I removed it and re-used the original (from 1958) textured tape remnants that I still had from the time when I dismantled the windshield in 1987.

OP
G

griff

Don, Thanks for all of the detail.
I believe I am in the latter situation. The one I have from TRF appears to be the "right material" just a bit too thick. I did find it worked a bit better after a blast with a heat gun so I may try that along with your masking tape idea and perhaps a wipe with some WD40 to see if the combination will get it in.

I actually doubt it as I think it is just tooooo thick.I will post tomorrow after my attempt. If that doesn't work a glass shop may be in my future.

what should I expect to pay to have a glass shop install it?

Thanks,
Griff

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

griff said:
what should I expect to pay to have a glass shop install it?
Back around 1977, I paid $15 and they supplied the appropriate glazing strip. According to DollarTimes.com, that's about $55 in 2009 dollars.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Mid 90's $50 for the 6

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

I am starting to do my windshield also. (the brooklands are not made for cold mornings) It has been sugestted to use baby powder to help on the assembly.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Aloha Griff,

I see Don has added additional information gained from experience to the post I copied awhile ago.

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

DON'T USE WD-40 ON THAT!!! I did the same when I installed my TRF glazing and the WD-40 reacted with the rubber to pruduce a tar-like slime. I'd suggest a water/soapy mix as a lubricant or maybe try a silicone spray on a test area before applying to the whole thing.