• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Painting begins

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Tomorrow the painting begins, the underside of the bonnet gets its base coat and clear coat. Pics comming

Hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Ok Brosky
here are 2 pics, one of the light I am using, the kind that lights up parking lots, and one of the base coat on the hood, the pic after the clear coat for some reason was really blurry, looks like I need a new camera, seems a lot of pics are comming out blurry

Hondo

Attachments

• 19248.jpg
    19248.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 639
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
the light.. the booth is working out fine, the fan really clears the booth good too.

Attachments

• 19249.jpg
    19249.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 654

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Looks good. Make sure that your setting didn't go to macro or off auto focus.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds like mebbe there's some ~fumes~ catchin' up to th' photographer? :shocked:

JOKING!!!

danstr6

If I lived near you, I would come help. Love painting cars. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Pic of Bonnet underside with clear and overnight cure. It might be next weekend before I can paint the top side, finders and boot, still getting the doors right,

HOndo

Attachments

• 19255.jpg
    19255.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 536

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Look at the paint coverage in the holes and slots in the hood from all angles. If you don't get a full spray in there, you will see the primer color when the hood is open.

I'm sure that you've guessed how I know that to be true.

dklawson

Yoda
Brosky, is that an area that can be hit with a touch-up gun or an air brush? On my projects I'll often use an air brush to put down a "pre coat" in tricky areas like that and on seams and edges.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hondo, don't try to get in there with a wide spray. Cut it down to a needle, reduce pressure and walk around in a circle for each hole. If you can get to it now before the paint is fully cured you could only have to mist a clear coat over that area, then buff it out when all cures.

Where in Charlotte are you, I might be able to get there and help, if you think you need any, that is. You might know more than me, who knows???

Wayne

pware

Hey Hondo. I work up town. If your in the shop one day this week shoot me line. I am getting ready to try my first paint job. Would love to see it for some inspiration.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Well, hey, if you're going to have a painting party, let me know when and where. Would love to meet some of the others here in Charlotte. Oh, and I have painted four or five cars over the years. Also have some air brushes if you need them.
Do I sound too needy?

Jim

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My will be done with an airbrush in the spring. I never noticed it and neither did the paint shop, but when the hood is up, the polished stainless radiator shroud shows a few that have "dark circles" inside. With a stock black shroud, I never would have seen it.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Wayne,Pware and Jim, I actually live in the south park area, but my office is in indian trail, thats where the painting is being done. I looked at the holes and I seem to have gotten good coverage in the holes. I was thinking of actually getting some board like what the radiator shroud is made of or simular, cutting out pieces to match the holes and gluing them in. Guys check your pm

HOndo

Tom74TR6

That was the hardest part for me to paint. Watch for runs when spraying inside the cavities. It is impossible to sand anything on the inside of those holes. I will end up covering the holes and center sections with some sort of decorative cover.
Tom C
paint002.jpg

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well the painting has come to a screeching halt, I sprayed the fenders, bonnet and door edges and seems somehow I have something that is not compatable with the the dupont base coat, when I sprayed it the paint wrinkled up is some spots. the only thing I can figure at this point is when I was sanding and sanded back to bare metal I used a can of duplicolor self etching prime on those spots. Every thing else was recommended by the paint shop. Every pannel had dried and cured at least a week after the last primer was applied. I have a test pannel that I sprayed the dupli color on and will spray it with the base coat and see if it wrinkles up, and If it does I will have to either sand every think back or try to figure out where all the spots are. BUMMER

Hondo