• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm a dummy

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Put the top up on the Wedge to take to an alignment shop today. Installed the fresh air intake in the engine compartment and went to check the battery in the trunk to see if it was connected and
"what the ..."
The gas cap was gone.
Got gas last week down the street and drove it straight home.Dang. Drove back to see if any one turned it in. No luck. Wife ,dog and I retraced the route too see if I could find it. Nope. Of course 90% of the leaves have fallen in that time so I could have walked right by it.
Thanks to the generosity of the List I will have a new one soon.
Never did get to the alignment shop!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Better than leaving the only rotor you have on a bench and then cleaning the bench the day before trash pickup. You know the rest of this story doesn't get any better.........

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I "fixed" that possibility, Don... a piece of brass pull-chain (think terlet tank) attaching the cap to an inner hinge screw of the access lid.

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think I know what's really bothering you. The fact that it's still out there, under some leaves, sitting cocked between a few rocks, in a spot not entirely expected, blending with the landscape.

I once walked three miles of road looking for my jet centering tool. Didn't find it. But I did find my gas cap once, and it was thirty feet off the road, farther than I would have guessed.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Gas Cap? That's nothing! Back in '07 I was at VTR in Valley Forge PA. I topped off with oil before leaving on the 4 hours drive home. Driving 2 hours toward home on Saturday, taking a short break at a rest area and popping the hood to find oil EVERYWHERE! But there was the oil cap sitting on the battery where I had left it. As bad as it looked, it was mostly splatter and not enough was gone to even add oil to the engine. The "mostly splatter" took all day to clean up. The good news is that it happened on the way home and not on the way to the convention! :driving:

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
SCguy said:
We've all done it! Now I always leave the cap on the car when filling up.
Larry, that's where i put it.
I always have a paper towel under the nozzle when I pull it out so it won't drip on the car. Went to throw the towel away and got in and drove away.

DrEntropy said:
I "fixed" that possibility, Don... a piece of brass pull-chain (think terlet tank) attaching the cap to an inner hinge screw of the access lid.

Doc, no access lid on a Wedge.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DNK said:
SCguy said:
We've all done it! Now I always leave the cap on the car when filling up.
Larry, that's where i put it.
I always have a paper towel under the nozzle when I pull it out so it won't drip on the car. Went to throw the towel away and got in and drove away.

DrEntropy said:

Doc, no access lid on a Wedge.

Screw it into the cap from inside and attach the chain IN the filler neck somehow, then. I'll be 'engineering' this for Her MG shortly, methinks.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob,

I did the same thing before going on a car run.
I topped off the oil,set the cap somewhere in the engine
compartment.I drove to a resturaunt where we met for
breakfast,about 8 miles away.
After leaving the resturaunt,I noticed something
shiny on the road.Yep - it was the cap,undamaged!

- Doug

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Me too! I have two spares now, which should assure that my next "big dumb" will be something unrelated. BTW if anyone ever needs one I should have you covered.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Most CB MGB's seem to carry a "spare" gas cap trapped in the bumper over-rider just below the filler. :smirk:

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
The wife's Jag has a magnetic cap that sticks to the cover(or anywhere else)Per haps modern epoxies can be put to use here??? At least the cap would still be stuck to the car when you got home....
MD(mad dog)

D

Deleted member 8987

My cap (Jag), Factory, Locking.....you can't get the key out unless you re-lock it.
Helps when your ignition key is on the same ring, and you CAN'T drive off until you lock the cap back on

Country flag
DrEntropy said:

Velcro works fairly well too....

T

Tinster

Almost funny. I have spares and triples of of most parts of my
car that make it operational.

I had no spare gastank cap and wouldn't you know it. Someone stole
it ( I think at a shopping center) I guess I better find a spare.

dale(tinster)

swift6

Yoda
TOC said:
My cap (Jag), Factory, Locking.....you can't get the key out unless you re-lock it.
Helps when your ignition key is on the same ring, and you CAN'T drive off until you lock the cap back on

Similar to this, I have a locking gas cap on my wedge and you have to use the key to relock the cap. So I leave the kes in the cap while it is off.