• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Two post lift

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm sure this has been discussed a gazillion times over the last few years but I wasn't in the market then and thus was not paying attention.

What are desireable features, things to avoid, etc. I will be using it 99% of the time for the Healeys or Elva, but might want to put my Toyota Tundra up once in a while. What brands did you wind up buying and why?

Country flag
I bought this one from Eagle: https://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-ETP/MTP-9F It was several hundred dollars more at that time (01/06) but included shipping.

With only a 9'3" ceiling, I had to use a floorplate type; if you have the height, I recommend getting one with the cables and hose run overhead, to allow for a completely clear floor. Seems whenever I'm pulling a trans out of an M Rdstr, I have to compromise on the jack location due to the "hump" covering the cables/hose. Of course, even that is still miles better than doing the job on your back!

About a month ago, one of the connectors for the hydraulic hose was getting a little damp, so I ordered a replacement hose, and at the same time got new rubber pads. Other than that, it has been trouble-free, and I use it A LOT.>

IMG_2930.jpg

Another little talked about advantage of the lift, is being able to wax the rocker panels while standing straight up.; I just finished compounding/buffing/waxing BN6L-942 on Monday; sure wish there was a local car show this weekend...

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Michael, I do not have any personal experience yet but have been reviewing the possibility of buying one myself. Since I do not have more than 8.5 feet ceiling i have been looking at that possibility. There is a short post version that has post that are less than 8 feet. The post are actually portable but seemed to me to be very hefty. I believe the lift capacity was 7000lbs. It also did not have a floor plate. It would seem that this might be rickety but the post were very substantial. I'm sorry that I do not remember which company was supplying them. (years ago as a teenager I worked in a garage were we lifted cars with two air jacks, one front and one back. The air jacks had extended forks to reach under the cars.)
In talking with a mechanic friend, he recommended that if I were to buy one, that it would be wise to buy one that has the unequal length lift arms. With the longest arms (the trailing arms to the rear). This allows the post to be more forward in your bay and might allow some work in the bay without the car being between the post. It also keeps the post away from the doors when the car is in the air so that the doors can be openned.
Happy hunting,
Dave C.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave--

Thanks for the info. Luckily I have plenty of ceiling height.

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Michael,

I have been researching two post lifts for some time and have decided on a lift manufactured by Greg Smith Equipment. In my opinion this lift will meet my needs and priced under $2,000.00. The particular model I am considering is their Atlas OH9000. The specifications are below…

Capacity 9,000 LB.
Lifting Time Ask Your Salesperson
Overall Height 140 ½" (11' 8 ½")
150 ½" (12' 6 ½")
Overall Floor Width 132 3/4” (11’ 3/4”)
Outside Column to Outside Column 124 ½ (10’ 4 ½")
Maximum Lift Height 72 7/8" (6’ 7/8")
(With Adapters) 82 7/8" (6' 10 7/8")
Minimum Pad Height 4"
Inside Column 111 ¼" (9’ 3 ¼")
Column Size 6 3/4” x 10 5/8”
Column Thickness of Steel .150”
Drive Thru 96 ¾” (8’ ¾”)
Base Of Lift 15 5/8” x 15 3/4”
Cable Diameter .367"
Motor 2HP, 220 Volt, Single Phase
Shipping Weight 1,460 LBS.

Greg Smith Enterprises has a location in Norcross GA in the Atlanta area fairly close to me. I plan to drive to Atlanta and pickup the lift in December. Another location is in Delaware closer to you.

As Randy indicated earlier, an overhead cable system allows for work underneath the car without the cable enclosure in your way. I have enough ceiling height in my garage to easily clear the 12’ 6” taller height. I built my garage with the lift height as a design consideration.

My only concern is the minimum pad height of 4 inches for the BJ7 but it is not a problem for the TR6 or the 330CI. The pad height is consistent with other lifts that I have considered.

I enjoyed the Hunt Club Classic last October and meeting you and the other DC area club members… I have a project in Winchester, VA that will be installing in October 2010. I will try to make the 2010 event also.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Big Question:
I have read all of the reasons for looking into a two post lift.
I too am looking to have a place to work on autos more efficiently.
But, why not a four post lift system, they are about the same price and you can
store two cars in one space??

Country flag
Four (4) post lifts are good for parking on, but the 2-post variant allows unobstructed access to the undercarriage, and immediate access to remove wheels, work on suspension, brakes, etc.

A 4-post lift requires the use of a rolling jack (or tray) between the rails if you want to lift the wheels off the runners to remove them, then you have to do your work while reaching across said runners (though I suppose they'd make a good place to lay down tools).

I regularly store two (or more) cars in the space under my 2-post:

jbv_002.jpg

amr_001.jpg

This shot best illustrates why I used a photocell type of interlock on the pump motor; when the beam cannot be bounced back to the controller by way of its reflector, the electricity is cut from the motor via a contactor.

amr_003.jpg

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
OK--Last question:

The "ideal" lift for me would be the Eagle 7000LP which has the following features:

1. 12' ceiling clearance (No problem)
2. Assymetric post setup (Saves on garage width)
3. Ultralow ground clearance pads (2")
4. 7000 lb. capacity (I will only be lifting small cars)

The MTP9A has the following features:

1. 12' ceiling clearance (again no problem)
2. Assuymetric post set (Same deal--no problem)
3. 4" (Standard) pad clearance
4. 9000 lb. capacity (more than above)

I don't understand why the lower clearance pads should cost so much---and I assume that both models have quality American-made cylinders.

Can anyone explain the big difference in price for that one feature, and that on a lift with lower weight capacity? Please go to the Eagle website and compare the 7000LP to the MTP9A--maybe I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Country flag
Just a hunch, but the 7000LP may be (nearly) 100% American made.

The construction of the arms would not warrant the price differential, but Chinese to American labor could. Compare with their Bend-Pak prices.

You'd think they would be promoting that fact...

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Okay Randy,
What is the material that BMW uses as a thermal screen between the floor pan and the exhaust? Sure looks a lot nicer than Dynamat Extreme!

Lin

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Randy;
Nice info on the 2 post lift. It looks like you have the posts attached to the ceiling of your garage.
Is that true??

Country flag
They're aluminum stampings; real honest to goodness shaped panels. They're embossed at the mountings, so that they maintain about 1/4" airspace between the heatshield and the floorpan.

They're pretty thin, and easily deformed, but likewise, easy to straighten back out again.

Another shot, this being a Z3 version of the M Rdstr:

IMG_3600.jpg

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Randy--

Your answer as to what the difference in price between the Eagle 7000 LP ($3599)and the MTP9A ($1499) is due to was 100% correct: The 7000 is made in the US whereas the MTP9A is made overseas.

Country flag
Michael Oritt said:
Randy--

Your answer as to what the difference in price between the Eagle 7000 LP ($3599)and the MTP9A ($1499) is due to was 100% correct: The 7000 is made in the US whereas the MTP9A is made overseas.
Even a broken clock can be right twice a day. :wink:

Given unlimited (or even more than comfortably available) funds, I'd buy the American made, but other than a weeping hose, I've had no trouble with my import.

I did however, shorten the rear arms by about 10-12" to allow the majority of the car's weight to sit more evenly between the columns, as I was concerned about uneven wear on the rub-blocks. I guess they really don't have our short wheelbase cars in mind during the design stage.

Country flag
BabaKahawa said:
Randy;
Nice info on the 2 post lift. It looks like you have the posts attached to the ceiling of your garage.
Is that true??
Actually, no.

They lied; where the lift is installed, the celing height is 9'3", and the specs on the columns were 9'3". In reality they were more like 9'4-1/2", so the 2 x 10 floor joist is notched and sitting on the column. I am not concerned about it having weakened the floor, especially as it rests on the column.

Somewhere on my "to do" list is dressing those openings off with some trim, but it likely won't happen until the house is made ready to sell...

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have been looking for a two post lift on the West coast. I see lots of used ones, but I worry about potential problems and pointed out on other threads, I don't want to under the car when I find a problem with the lifting process. I may go the the Sacramento Autorama this year. They usually display a few there and might be able to save on shipping.
Like someone else above, I hit the double nickles next year and find it harder to crawl around on the floor as I used to.

Anyone have a West coast brand or source that sthey like?

Jerry