• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Brake Rotors

mwagon

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
When adding rear Disc Brakes will the Mk 1 Front Rotors work on the rear as well or is another standard rotor needed? I plan on using the Jaguar XJ rear calipers, as the Welch kits are designed around

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello mwagon,

I don't believe the Mk1 rotors will fit over the rear hub.

From memory I thought that Welch were using a Jaguar one on the rear. I thought they said on their website.

I do know (because I've done it) that a Jaguar Mk9 (1960) rear rotor fits the Healey rear hub with some spacers in the stud holes.

best regards,

bundyrum.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No - The front rotors will not fit. The rear disc brake system for the big Healey requires a special rotor that will clear the bearing carrier and provide the correct depth. There are few sources for this special part, all in the UK. DWR and Rawles Motorsports as well as AH Spares and Cape In't all carry them.

Dougie

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello mwagon,

the DWR website says they use either Jaguar XJ6 or XJS rear rotors.

Aftermarket rotors are available here in the US for about $30 ea

Best regards,

bundyrum.

OP
M

mwagon

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Can you tell me the source & part # for these rotors? Previous post says I'm forced to buy from Welch etc at high prices

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi you guys, Dougie is correct. The calipers are xj6/xjs, but not the rotors. I don't know about the 1960 Mk9 rotors, but I know the xj6/xjs rotors won't work. Dougie gave you all the sources I'm aware of.

Dave

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello red57,

I obviously made a mistake in what I read on the DWR website. When I went back and re-read the details on the rotors I can see it differently now. Yes they say the calipers are from the XJ6/XJS but of course don't say anything about the rotors.

As I said the Jaguar MK9 rear rotors fit but finding these is really difficult.

There is nothing to stop DWR from having new rotors manufactured to fit the job.

Hello mwagon,

It may seem as though you will have to pay the price DWR wants.

The rebuilt calipers are available from the sources I gave you only they are a lot more money than what I told you for the rotors.

There are at least 2 different types of caliper for the XJS. The early ones are mounted directly on the differential (inboard) and have 2 pistons per each caliper. The later ones have the caliper mounted out at the wheel hub (outboard) but only have 1 piston per caliper. I believe all XJ6 calipers are the 2 piston type and were mounted on the differential.

Sorry for any mis information I may have given you it was not intentional.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
FWIW, The Healey Marque magazine had an article about converting the rears to disk brakes using parts from a Chevy Camaro. Might be cheaper and easier to find.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I have the Cape International rear disc brake kit on my car. The rear rotors are from a Rover vehicle. I have the specifics somewhere but not handy now. But, definitely Rover.
Lin

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have the Cape International rear disc brake kit on my car. The rear rotors are from a Rover vehicle. I have the specifics somewhere but not handy now. But, definitely Rover.
Lin

Lin -

I would be very interested if you had a Rover Part number for your rotors. I know most of the big Healey vintage racers would love to have a source in the states for replacements.

Dougie

OP
M

mwagon

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Is a brake balance or proportioning valve needed after adding disc's to the rear?
The front Mk1 Calipers were Girling 14's. These seem hard to find new or rebuilt without a core. The Volvo early 240 series Girling 16's will bolt onto the late BJ8 axles & can be purchased rebuilt for $53.00 range. Is there any reason why I couldn't make a front caliper adapter plate to accommodate the Girling 16's? Or do the 16's require a servo?

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello mwagon,

There is no reason why you couldn't manufacture your own adaptor plate to take the type 16 to the Mk1 stub axle assy.

The type 16's don't necessarily require a booster it's all up to you to design the system to work without one. If you don't happen to like a booster then you don't have to have one.

Hello Lin,

Now that's not fair, giving us that little tidbit of information then leaving us to our own devices.

Now you have everyone hanging around waiting on your next answer regarding exact model of car and part #. Don't you know we are an impatient bunch that need answers yesterday.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I am pretyy sure that they are from a Range Rover, but I will see what I can find this weekend.
Lin

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Here is a link to a rear disk conversion from Magnus Karlsson. It looks like there is something wrong with some of the photos on the PDF file there. If anyone is interested, I have the complete file from Magnus and can e-mail it. Larry Varley's site

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello GregW,

Thanks for the link. There is a lot of good information in there. I knew about the link but it was when I had a computer that was so slow it couldn't do pictures very well.

The interesting item about this article is that even Magnus doesn't say what type of vehicle the rear discs come off because he hadn't been able to find out himself. Of course that article was written a few years ago.

Best regards,

Bundyrum.

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello mwagon,

That last site is good to have, yes so is the time to be able to go through it.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,

bundyrum.