• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My First Jag

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have always loved Bitish sports cars, especially Jaguars. I learned to drive in a 1960 Jag XK150 that belonged to a friend of the family (I was 12 years old!) Ever since then I longed to own o Jag of my own. One day, while driving down Hampton Bldv in Aurora, CO, I spotted a Jaguar XKE Coupe sitting at a service station with a FOR SALE sign in the rear window!. I called the number and learned the car belonged to a couple who were selling it because they were expecting a new baby and needed a more practical car. What luck! I had a 1963 Pontiac Catallina! I was only a Junior in High School at the time (1971), but was able to trade my Pontiac to the couple and talk my Dad into co-signing a loan for $2200 which was the agreed-to difference. I was in 7th Heaven! Here I was, a Junior in high school and while all my friends were tooling around in beat-up Chevy's and Mustangs, I was driving a 1967 Jaguar E-Type Coupe. The car was Valentine Beige (a non-standard color that had been special ordered and factory painted by the original owner). I have never seen another that color. It was beautiful!<br> Anyway, I sold that beautiful car 28 years ago when I joined the US Air Force and I regretted that decision all my life. (I eventually did get another E Type, but that first one was something special). For years I wondered whatever happened to that car when one day about a year ago, I saw a posting on a message list about someone with a Beige 67 E-Type. I managed to email the guy and eventually spoke to him on the phone and learned to my amazement that he owned my old Jag! It is still in very very good original condition and he sent me a picture as it looks today! (I'll post it later) Not long ago, while visiting my sister-in-law in Denver, I looked up the current owner and he invited me over to see my old car. When I got there, not only did I get to see it, but he let me drive it around a bit! What a thrill to drive your old high school car 28 years after selling it!

Basil

COUNTACH

Cool story basil. I still have my 1st Ferrari I bought when I was 25. its an 84 308QV GTS, not much on hp but it looks great, handles wonderfully, & the brakes are pretty amazing.
I have an older friend who was 1 of the first to show me the path onto the automobile hobby. He used to have several porsche 356s & 1 spyder, a 1970 911 Carrera with about 1000 miles, a 55 T-bird, & several other cars. He sold them all & he always tells me to never sell any of my toys.

Gene

I picked up my first Jaguar, new, in Paris, in 1958. It was a new 3.4 Series I sedan. Black, with a red interior. The beginning of many Jags over 40+ years.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Gene, would that be a "Mark I"? Love those early sedans. I learned to drive in a 1960 XK150. Countach, would that be the same 308 like Magnum PI drove?

Basil

PS: I will soon be installing a much better version of this message software that will allow individual replies to posts (plus lots of other features).

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Here's a picture of my first Jag, which I sold 28 years ago. This is as it looks today. Owner is Ben Schwader.<p>
Tancat2.jpg

COUNTACH

Very Nice Basil /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I'm amazed by how advanced the E type was in 61 when it came out. It was like the Countach in 1970, Way ahead of its time.

I havent decided if I get an XKR if I should get a coupe or a roadster

Gene

Yes, "Mark I" it was. However, in those days, I do not recall that label being used. We referred to it as a "3.4 sedan" to differentiate it from the "2.4 sedan" both of which were available as were the Mark VIII and the XK150.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Gene,
That and the Mark II are my wifes favorite cars. We have even toyed with the idea of getting a "Vicarage" Mark II. Have you heard of them? They do total restorations of Jags and also "modernize" them with power steering, brakes, etc. Not sure what the cost though.

Happy New Year,

Basil

COUNTACH

Ive heard of Vicarage, not cheap, almost as much as a new XKR. in www.https://jcna.com
the jag club site, they have a story about a guy who redid a 66 E with modern parts & XKR wheels & fat modern rubber. It says he may build more if people are interested. Nice
STory is "Gary's Silver Hammer"

Gene

Yes, I have heard of and talked to Vicarage but, I am too much of a traditionalist for those products.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I was just thinking of it in terms of the daily driver for the wife, but I can understand the traditionalist ideal. If it were to be my car, I'd just prefer a good restored Mark II.

Basil

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Basil said:
Here's a picture of my first Jag, which I sold 28 years ago. This is as it looks today. Owner is Ben Schwader.<p>
Tancat2.jpg

Wow! What a beauty...

Whats the jag you own now look like?

Still have that Red C5?

Country flag
Basil,
Cool story and love that color on the Jag. My first Jag was late S2 71 XKE roadster. I got it from the original owner in 76 while I was in college. I had worked my way up from a TR3 to TR4 and TR6 each year of college. I sold the XKE to my then Uncle who trashed it. I built it back for him and he sold it to a guy I knew from college. Someone (?) stole it and then burnt the car. I had a chance to buy it back from the Insurance company but thought it was too far gone. Big mistake, the 68 I have now was probably in worse shape before I restored it.
I have a 51 XK120 FHC that will probably be my next big project.

Marv

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

I thought I was chimming in here way too late when I looked at the dates that this thd. started.

My 1st. Jag was an "XK140-OTS". I was in my early stages of working Outside Sales (Mid 70s) & was driving thru "Plainfield, NJ" and saw a 4 stall garage with all doors open. It took me 2yrs. to break the mans arm to sell it to me but I got it.

Next came a `67 E-Type OTS, Then a `69 E-Type OTS, Then a `64 E-Type OTS & My last one was a `61 E-Type OTS (VIN 875190). You can check it out on www.xkedata.com. What a jerk I was to sell that one but I still do have the "Hert. Cert" framed and hanging in my living room just as a reminder "How stupid I can be"!!

Will there be another Series I or II E-Type OTS in my future? I sure hope so but with the prices going thru the roof; I may have to wait for that "Illusive Winning Lottery Ticket".

Best Wishes to All,

Russ