• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to the game

clyde

Freshman Member
I have just purchased a 73 TR6 about 90% restored. I am now in my second childhood and this is the first classic auto I have ever had. Therefore you may be hearing from me often in the future.

My first question. If it has not been driven for a day or more, it has to crank for a rather long time before it gets enough gas to start. Is this typical? Would it help to change to an electric fuel pump? or is there a one way valve that can be installed in the fuel line?

Thanks,
Clyde

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Welcome Clyde.

It could be the the fuel pump or the carbs. Do the carbs leak? If the fuel is leaking out of the bowls, that could be your problem.

An electric fuel pump would probably help (or even fix the problem); however, if your mechanical fuel pump is in good shape (and the carbs aren't leaking), it should hold pressure.

Do you smell gas around the car at all?

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Clyde, congratulations, and welcome to our world. I got the disease over 40 years ago, and it hasn't faded yet. The 6 is a wonderful car. When you begin to grumble about elbow room or rattles, just focus on the exhaust note and all is well again.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome Clyde!
I see you've been registered for a few days but this is your first post. Keep it up! Good Luck with your 6. This is the place for help and encouragement, just stay in touch.

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My GT6 has an original-style fuel pump with the priming lever. This is a really great feature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif A few pumps of this to fill the fuel bowls and she will fire right up no matter how long between starts.

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Clyde - Welcome - my 2 cents worth - Check to see if your choke is in proper working order - Dashpot carbs have no accelerator pump to give the engine a "Starting Shot" so the choke sorta compensates by lowering the jet to richen the mixture temporarily - So if you don't pull your choke all the way out, or it's misadjusted it'll roll over for a while before it catches -

This isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway - When I start my Sprite and GT6 i usually roll the motor over until I see pressure register on the oil pressure guage then pull the choke out and bump the key again - usually starts nicely and you've avoid some of the wear associated with oil starvation on start up.

Make it easy on your self - Buy a Bentley workshop manual - that is if you don't want to be committed to an institution for the "Car-iminally Insane" somewhere down the line.

Welcome, Good luck, Have fun, Pull the choke out, not your hair.....

Bob M.

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Clyde,

Are you pulling out the choke when you try to start it? Sometimes when I start my TR6 after a few days rest I have my left hand turning the key and my right hand pulling the choke out as far as it will go. This typically gets me going on the first crank.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifWelcome Clyde!

I'd investigate a fuel leak from the bottom of the carbs and/or the starter boxes themselves. Since the hard start occurs only after sitting a few days, fuel must be draining from the bowls somehow. Alternatively, a float needle may not be seating and allowing fuel to trickle up the jet into the manifold (the head pressure from the fuel tank is sufficient to drain completely through a carb with a faulty needle valve). This over-rich condition could contribute to a hard start; pull the air filter housing after a few days and see if the carb throats are wet with fuel (they shouldn't be).

Is your oil level increasing? It is possible the fuel pump diaphram is shot, allowing fuel to fill the crankcase. Pumps are cheap; if uncertain of it's condition, replace it.

Also, the bowl floats may not be set to the proper 17 - 18 mm height. But that's a bit more involved at this point. Also remember that you should verify the ignition side of the house is in order before indicting the carbs.

Good luck!

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Clyde:

The responses that you've received already appear great.

One word of caution... I bought a '72 TR6 last fall, with the intention of doing a little work and just driving it. After finding this forum, the car is now in several places: the body is off for a new paintjob, someone else is cleaning up the engine, the convert. top frame and seats are in storage, and the dashboard gauges, pedals, and other misc stuff are lined up on the workbench for a cleaning... This is also my first attempt at doing this stuff. These folks are trouble...get out while you can... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You'll thank me later...