• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mercedes?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Some of you guys already know this, but just in case ...

I'm looking to buy an early 1960s Mercedes Benz 220S or 220SE, manual transmission (Hydrak if possible). In roadworthy condition, with a sound body and chassis, all service documentation, just needing some interior and engine/mechanical work. Another large 1960s or early 1970s MB sedan is also possible.

I'm planning a 48 state "retirement adventure" for late in 2010, visiting friends, family, and former students. Why the 220S? I learned to drive in a 1961 220S - back when it was new! My parents had planned to do the same trip when they retired in the 1980s, but cancer and heart attack came between them and their dream. This ol' retired teacher is planning the trip in their honor and memory.

This blatant "ad" may be completely improper here (if so, drop a hint and I'll delete this post). But if anyone comes across "the car" - please let me know.

Thanks.
Tom in Connecticut

mercedes_220s_ad_60.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
Some of you guys already know this, but just in case ...

I'm looking to buy an early 1960s Mercedes Benz 220S or 220SE, manual transmission (Hydrak if possible). In roadworthy condition, with a sound body and chassis, all service documentation, just needing some interior and engine/mechanical work. Another large 1960s or early 1970s MB sedan is also possible.
Thanks.
Tom in Connecticut

What an awesome project Tom - I'm envious.

Not sure what my choice of these two would be

https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles...QAdIdZ163853374

https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles...QAdIdZ158533121

keep us posted!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WHOOT_WHOOT!!! :laugh:

That's a great plan!! When ya hit th' lowest of th' lower 48, be sure to announce your arrival!

And if I run across a good example you'll get the info. :thumbsup:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great adventure, indeed! I wanna tag along!!!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mickey Richaud said:
Great adventure, indeed! I wanna tag along!!!

Hey - you're certainly welcome to tag along! (you have good track shoes, right?)

Reminds me of that great scene in National Lampoon's Vacation, when the cop pulls them over, holds up the (empty) dog's leash, and says "poor little fella tried to keep up for a mile or so ..."

T.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Great idea....I'll keep my eyes out for one.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I rememeber driving a diesel Fintail to Watkins Glen in '69. My friend's Father lent it to us and my friend had worked the previous 12 hours, so I drove it the entire way to The Glen.

At the time, I noted that it was even slower than my well-worn 948 Bugeye. Fuel consumption was decent, but not better than my Aunt's 144 cu in Falcon, which was faster and seemed similar in terms of comfort and handling.

For whatever reason, I don't get real excited about old MBs, but if I had your family connection story, I think a road trip in one would be great.
I guess if I ever make a trip like that, I'd choose a 144 Falcon. :jester:

I know that Per Schroeder (an editor at Grassroots Motorsports magazine) has been looking for one since he just finished up and sold his SAAB 99 project.

As with most old cars, rust is your enemy.
G'luck in your quest!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A member told me about one for sale here in Connecticut. I stopped by this morning, and actually found it's an early '60s 220 series MB. Unfortunately it needs a bit more work than I can handle. Has been used in drag racing (!), and needs a new engine, plus lots of body work (I have no skill in that at all), suspension, drivetrain, and interior replacements.

Other than that, a great "project" for the man with his own shop and a skilled staff. If I take off my glasses and squint, it *sorta* looks like the one in my first post above ... sorta ...

DSC00395.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Dear, oh dear. If ya think an LBC is costly to restore...

:shocked:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lemme tell you - you don't want a Mercedes that hasn't had all its maintenance kept up to date....you don't want one that's had multiple owners....& you definitely don't want one that's just been sitting out in a corn field!

& I speak from experience with them.....Jerri is on her 4 one in 4 years of marriage...1 was a "minor restoration project" that cost me an arm & a leg.....& I have my 380SL.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"you don't want a Mercedes that hasn't had all its maintenance kept up to date....you don't want one that's had multiple owners....& you definitely don't want one that's just been sitting out in a corn field!"

I hear you there! I've been looking on and off for about a year now. Funny thing - if you go to SearchTempest or eBay, do a search, *then* filter out all the commercial listings ... you lose about 90% of the postings. I've pretty much decided that I'll only look at a car being sold by a long-time owner, who:
1. knows the cylinder compression readings,
2. has all the service records,
3. has time to answer all my questions
4. has treated it at least as well as he/she treats the spouse!

(never met a spouse who slept out in a corn field ... but maybe I've led a sheltered life)

Oh the stories I could tell. Like the Maryland guy who said he'd owned his 220SE for 15 years and was only selling it because of financial reasons. While I was waiting on more pictures to be sent, I accidentally found the exact same car on a dealer's website - in Maine! Called him up and asked about it; he said he sold it to a guy "in Maryland" just a few weeks earlier.

Lying through their teeth ... grrrrrrrr

T.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You might ask your local Mercedes dealer if there's a longtime owner you still comes in for warranty work thatmight be talked into selling.

Another place to look is the Mercedes Club....those guys pamper their cars.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tony - I'm also checking MBCA, BenzWorld, PeachParts, and various other MB sites and forums, plus local clubs. A couple weeks ago I found this classified ad in the MB Star magazine:

<span style="font-weight: bold">1964 220Sb Sedan, Gray/red, many new parts, engine needs rebuild, seats recovering, CA car, no winters.</span>

When I went over to check cylinder compression, here's what I actually found:

The engine is completely disassembled because owner needed to find out why it would not turn over. It had a bad head gasket which caused a coolant leak into two cylinders. The seat covers (M-B Tex) were sold to a friend of the owner, who had a similar car ('65 220SE sedan) and was converting from a bench seat to buckets (front) and whose dog poked a hole in his back seat while giving birth to puppies as he was driving along, unable to assist. Owner was going to recover the seats in leather and did not need to keep the original covers so he sold them to another guy. The seats have not been recovered yet and are basically very old dried out foam. The windshield is cracked but owner thinks he has a replacement for it. Owner did not drive the car in the winter because he only drives SAABs in the winter months. It is non-metallic gray with a white top and red interior, with patches of rust all over. Compression in the cylinders is not much of an issue since the engine is in pieces.

Isn't this fun!

T.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just an old parts car!

Country flag
Back in March, there was a 1965 220SE on Bring A Trailer. No takers and the Buy-It-Now was $6100. You can the pics still at BaT. Chances are good it's still available. Check BaT and who knows, you might be able to track it down.

Now, if you could "settle" for a slightly different MB, there is a 1971 600 Landaulet on BaT via eBay....for a mere $550,000!! And it too didn't sell!! LoL

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Silverghost said:
Back in March, there was a 1965 220SE on Bring A Trailer. No takers and the Buy-It-Now was $6100. You can the pics still at BaT. Chances are good it's still available. Check BaT and who knows, you might be able to track it down.

Now, if you could "settle" for a slightly different MB, there is a 1971 600 Landaulet on BaT via eBay....for a mere $550,000!! And it too didn't sell!! LoL

I've seen those incredibly high ebay "sales" - never could figure out why someone with the money to buy something that expensive would actually even *use* ebay. But why does a seller use ebay for something at that high price? The ebay fees are relatively low (for listing anyway ...), and it does get "exposure". And maybe the seller figures he/she is spending relatively little (at $550,000, only around $200) to list it, with the possible big return from someone who "just has to have it".

Interesting ebay fee calculator:

https://www.rolbe.com/ebay_motors.htm

T.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
In a line of old Mercedes alongside the highway behind a locked fence in Tennessee:

mercedes01.JPG

PA290492.JPG

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tony! What part of Tennessee is that? What's the area code? When were the pictures taken? Did you take the pictures?

That '62 220S looks promising, altho' I can't tell how much rust there is in that picture. Looks like it could be heavy on the doors and wheel wells ... or maybe that's just leaves reflecting?

Thanks.
Tom

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
About 40 miles or so from me on US 231 just over the TN/AL line south of Fayetteville, TN; I took the photos today; Area Code is 931.

Yep there was rust on bottom edge.