• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nasty Healey

Sparkie93

Country flag
Rick,

FYI in case your Tiger exhaust manifolds don't work out. 63-65 Ford Falcon V8 driver's side exhaust manifolds look very similar, exiting downward allowing clearance for column shift.

Robert

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
I love V-8 engines, oodles of cheap power and they sound great. But somehow they don't work so great in Healeys. Seems like the car was really designed around an in-line engine, the V-8's and their manifolds just don't fit all that great around the frame and footwells. Rick looks like he knows what he's doing, I look forward to see how it comes out.

I think if I ever built a nasty boy Healey, I would look for a decent straight six engine to put in there. Maybe a Datsun 280Z, Toyota truck or the like. I think it might fit just a bit better, but I haven't seen anyone do this.

Bill S
Albuquerque, NM

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If i can ever find the right 100-4, I'd love to put in a Honda S2000 engine. I think a 240hp 4 cyl and a six speed that weighs less than the stock powertrain would be PERFECT!

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's my Nasty Boy !

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Don't know how you do it, but it looks great.
Here's one from the the British Car Days event held in Southern New Mexico.
Great site you have by the way.

Attachments

• 18837.jpg
    18837.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,537

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Legal Bill, I keep eyeing up my 2.8 liter six in the Z3 as a possible swap into a 100/4. Lots of tuner go fast stuff for them as well. And like the Honda, very reliable.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Andy - Rides will be given to those who have medical clearance, sign a liability waiver, and have a note from their significant other. Engine weight is about 75lbs lighter than the Healey lump.

Sparkie93 - Hope the Tiger manifolds work, but I'll keep the Falcon ones in mind.

Healey 100 - Guy named Mark Lambert did a 280ZX drivetrain swap about 15 years ago. Motor fit like it was made for the car, motor mounts were even in the same place. Fuel injection and AC. Very nice!

Dougie - Unless your name's Norm Cowdrey, I ain't buying that!

Legal Bill - Never drove an S2000, but understand you really need to rev the heck out of them. Honda makes nice motors, so could be a winner.

BabaKahawa - I'm fond of the stock body with a big motor "Walk softly, but carry a big stick."

Hedgehog - Swapping a six into a 100 will take a lot of work, I'd probably do the Bimmer swap into a six-cylinder car. Might as well get the motor from an M Roadster while you're at it.

Rick

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
If I were to do a swap, it would be late model(96or so) Supra, bullit proof engine(3 liter), w/single turbo(conversion), I've had them between 700 &1000 horsepower on dyno. Also sweet 6-speed.IRS rear would be great also. cheers Genos2

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've thought of that myself. the problem is, the BMW six is layed over, so it needs a lot of room east to west. That is the problem with the Healey engine bay. It is narrow.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
HealeyRick said:
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Legal Bill - Never drove an S2000, but understand you really need to rev the heck out of them. Honda makes nice motors, so could be a winner.

I've driven mine for the past six years. Pushing 2700 pounds, there is enough power for 0 to 60 times of 5.5 seconds. I'll bet it would do 5 seconds or better in a 2000 pound car. And that is about all I'm looking for. Yes, you need to rev it to reach the power, but it has a 9000 rpm redline that is sweeeeeet as can be. If you like formula one, you'll love this. If you keep it under 5000 rpm, it is just a smooth happy 4 cylinder. It probably produces 20% more than the stock mill at that range. But above 5000, its a whole different engine!

I understand the love of the V8. The Honda F20C motor is just a different direction to go in, and for me the high output 4 fits the basic personality of the 100. I think I've convinced myself that if Donald was building the car today and looking for an engine, the F20C would be his #1 target.

AJAX50

Country flag
A very interesting nasty would be to fit a TVR Speed Six engine. Six cylinder, 400 plus bhp, very light and modern. I started to plan one of these but the base Healey deal fell through. I'd organised to borrow the a block of a Speed Six to see if it would easily fit a BJ8. Maybe some time in the future.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Tiga2;
Get some pictures up..... I'd like to see it.
"keep left"... All right !!

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
4th of July in Santa Fe for the car show, I bought this 6 years ago in Seattle and restored it about 4 to 5 years ago. The conversion was done was done in the '70's. It has a 327, t-10 4 speed, Ford rear end, front discs, heavy sway bar, recored rad & 72 spoke wheels.

Foot boxes were cut down some with plenty of room for headers.
It is relaible as heck and doesnt leak oil....and a blast to drive!

It needs a 5 speed..... next project.

Attachments

• 18906.jpg
    18906.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,309

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Tiga2:
Am I seeing things or were you at the Las Cruces British Car Days?
If so.... I say you run.
Great car!!!