• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Is he really trying to sell a GT6?

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-GT6-...=item35a4023aa6

Found in eBay Motors->Cars and Trucks
Title: 1969 Triumph Overdrive
Subtitle: 1969 GT6 Restored Nice

Currently at $200, no reserve, deposit of US $500.00 within 48 hours of auction close.

No pictures

Description: 1969 gt6 restored nice. Pictures and description to come.

All the details like exterior and interior color make it sound like an honest to goodness car.

Just cant see something like that go for so little, but will if the seller doesnt even care enough to list it with pictures and discription. I know he said hes going to, but he paid for a 7 day listing. Hes already lost 2 days that he paid for.

D

Deleted member 8987

I looked, no photos.
ALMOST......."gee, now that I have divorced your lazy butt, I'm going to sell your Triumph for what you told me you paid for it!"

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
I agree this seems too good to be true
I sent seller an email requesting the pics
lets see what happens

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Wonder if hed be willing to show me the car in person. Clearly if they say no, its a scam. Its too far of a drive for it to be a "maybe." But if it were a restored 69, which Im assuming means that its capable of driving from Austin to Dallas, its worth it sight unseen...

...its just that my first opinion of people tend to be that they are stupid, not scam artists. Then again, such scammers tend to pretend to be so to bait victims. The other thing is, scammers tend to try a little harder. In other words, steal pics from GT6.com, claim thats the car, then offer a more reasonable, ridiculous price like $5,000. Maybe even $3000 to get people biting. Of course if theres escrow involved, thats an obvious red flag. But when youre dealing with prices that low, youre risking a buyer wanting to pay cash in person. Heck, my gt6 was an ebay item. Didnt make reserve so I made him an offer and did just that.

Of course isnt it odd how after I made this thread and linked to it, there are now 4 different bidders, bidding on it? ...right after the threads first reply too... ...you guys suck =P

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I guess it's just me, but I think if I were to auction a car I would have some pics & description ready before I started the auction so that I could put them in the auction from the start.
I checked the auction ... 6 bids? Who would bid on a car without even seeing a single pic of the car?

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Number_6 said:
I guess it's just me, but I think if I were to auction a car I would have some pics & description ready before I started the auction so that I could put them in the auction from the start.

No, its not just you. I found this very odd as well, thats why I made this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I checked the auction ... 6 bids? Who would bid on a car without even seeing a single pic of the car? [/QUOTE]

6 bids, 5 bidders... ...what kind of ebay newb bids 5 days before the auction ends. I would suspect that either they are new to the auction scene, or are bidding the price higher on purpose to make the auction look legit, and not pay for a reserve... ...but so many of these bidders have a lot of feedback.

Again, $510 is worth it sight unseen... ...but only if its TRULY a RESTORED 69 GT6

LBCs_since_1988

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
SCAM!!! look at all the recent negative feedback. Maybe someone stole his/her password and is using their identity for some quick cash. -happens all the time on eBay. BUYER BEWARE! :nonono:

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Possibly but the first 4 recent ones were all from the same person, all of which are duplicate responses. If you look at the auctions he bought from it seems very strange that one single buyer would spend so much on so many items from the same user. I can understand combined shipping, but what is this guy? A sunglasses reseller? Looks like much of his buyers do the same.

I dont see 4 negative feedback. I see 1. He bought a lot, but hes still one customer, and most likely one shipment. I still wouldnt consider this a guy worth messing with (he still hasnt responded to my question about if its capable of driving to Dallas). Plus this seems to be his first automotive sale. Hes real big with sun glasses sales.

G

Actually, of the 5 people bidding, only two are newbies; the other three should know better. It's hard to tell any more what these people are thinking, both buyers and sellers.

People just walk away from their bids. I hate to see this happen to eBay, as they are a great buying/selling venue.

My ex and I probably bought and sold 10,000 items on eBay. Since moving to TX, I bought a boat and a TR on eBay. Towed the boat back from Michigan. The TR fell thru; the guy turned out to be a shyster in Ohio. Would not allow a Triumph friend come inspect the car until the auction was closed. I retracted my bid.

'Sorry for getting off on this tangent. Obviously, when buying ANYTHING off the INTERNET, ANYWHERE, Buyer Beware. Caveat Emptor. Lave sus manos.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I used to sell on ebay and you would not believe how annoying people are. About 35% of my auctions were never paid for. I got my only negative feedback (thankfully Im back to 100%) because the buyer thought I ripped her off on shipping. Ive had people get made at me because they wouldnt include apartment numbers on their shipping address. Luckily these items were cheap enough that I would just resend a new item. Then I had the morons who would bid just to win. I would have buy it now for like $10, and immediately post up new stuff with buy it nows when the auction ended, and people sometimes would bid up to $60 for these things. Then of course when they get it in the mail theyre upset. No crap. If I paid $60 for a $10 item, I would be too. I swear, if I auctioned off a brick, and it closed at $100k, theyd expect me to ship a house! Then there were bidders thats just bid to make buyers pay more. These I worried about because I had one who did this for many of my auction and he never won, ever. I was worried people may think he was me and I was having him bid it up so Id make a bigger profit. His bids always canceled my buy it nows.

Anyway seems that the auction ended early. He cancled all bids. But now you can see how much everyone was willing to spend
https://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=230384876198
Two separate people proxy bidded $1000!

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I've bought and sold a couple hundred items on ebay, mostly photograhic items, firearm accessories and of course car parts. I only had one jerk to deal with.
No diappointments on my part because if something needs clarification, I ask before I bid.
I try to take decent pictures, concise descriptions and charge a reasonalbe flat rate shipping to keep it up front and simple.
I love doing business on ebay.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Its back.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-1...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Beautiful car... ...hes still a moron though for the last auction. I would of spent $200-500 sight unseen, sure... ...too bad he never got back with me on whether or not it could be driven to dallas. Maybe he was too busy getting his pictures and description ready.

Then again maybe theres some sort of story where someones forcing him to sell his car, didnt want to, but at least he could say he listed it so theyd leave him alone. Then again, there was no reserve on it, but now there is

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
:nonono: No..he'd be a moron if he did sell the car for 2 to 5 hundred dollars.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Now that we can see pics & a desc. of the car, that is a very nice looking GT6. Wonder what his reserve is? Well worth the current $6K bid Plus a lot more.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
poolboy said:
:nonono: No..he'd be a moron if he did sell the car for 2 to 5 hundred dollars.

No, that would be his punishment for being a moron. He ended this thing a day early. Imagine if you will if he had a medical emergency, or someone died. Basically preventing him from being on the Internet that day. He can't cancle the auction, and someone wins. That's a binding contract. Now clearly he doesn't care about negative feedback, and even if he did I supose it's worth taking the hit to keep the car.

But I'm pretty sure ending the auction early results in full seller fees. Otherwise why have a reserve? With no pics or description I'm surprised it got that high. Had he just done those two things to begin with, not only would it be just as high, but probably make the reserve he set without even needing a reserve.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Gosh - lot of angst over what amounts to our collective play shopping. It's his car, he can do whatever the heck he wants. So be it...

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
So yeah, he will be charged a fee. And I'm pretty sure this was done before the 12 hours. I knew seller who used to always do this to avoid selling to low and not pay for a reserve. I am a sniper so this was very annoying. It is also against eBay policy. I wish I knew back then because I would have reported it. Clearly this gt6 person isn't doing the same since it looks like this was the first time and he has a reserve on this one

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior