• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another interesting website...

terriphill

Darth Vader
I stumbled across this tonight and after sending it on to several of my History teachers, thought I might share with y'all...
Remember September 44

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Terri for the link. Being a history buff, I enjoy reading anything about world history. I know this story fairly well, but your link to this particular article, filled in a few questions I had. Thanks again, PJ

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Very interesting. I just read the Op. Pegasus section, but I've bookmarked and will return to read more.

I had never heard of the composite "Mistel" aircraft before. (below)

ag_mistel.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
Very interesting. I just read the Op. Pegasus section, but I've bookmarked and will return to read more.

I had never heard of the composite "Mistel" aircraft before. (below)

ag_mistel.gif

I never heard of that one either Nial, and I'm pretty much up on world aircraft. Digging deeper into the German ingenuity, you'll find aircraft that were ahead of their time. Fortunately, for world piece, the German machine of the time was defeated before most of those machines could be put into production.
Had the <span style="font-weight: bold">ME 262</span>, shown here, an aircraft that we could not touch with what we or anyone else had,
Bundesarchiv_Bild_141-2497_Flugzeug.jpg

gone into full production 6 months earlier, the war probably would have taken a drastic turn. Thank God it didn't!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
PAUL161 said:
.....Had the <span style="font-weight: bold">ME 262</span>....gone into full production 6 months earlier, the war probably would have taken a drastic turn. Thank God it didn't!.....

That's so true.
Although I know at least one was shot down (by a Mustang?) so they probably would have needed a year or more to get them fully developed.

At any rate, even with the best aircraft, they could have never beaten us in the West *and* the Russians.
But it might have "stretched it out" longer. So Thank God indeed!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think the ME 262 was one of the most beautiful planes ever designed!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
I think the ME 262 was one of the most beautiful planes ever designed!

I agree with you Tony, it really was a beautiful design. Odd thing about this aircraft was, It was ready for battle a year before Hitler released it, as he wanted them to convert it into a bomber. Thanks to this blunder, a lot of lives were saved. They had a Naval version with folding wings also.

<span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-size: 10pt">A live one flying!</span></span>
https://www.world-war-2-planes.com/me-262.html
Me 262

1433 were built, only a very few survived.

Country flag
One point that's often overlooked is the role of German Industrial policy and its affect on the maintainability of the equipment.

As I understand it the emphasis on highly specialized and continually evolving equipment meant that the German forces had superior equipment, but that there was often too little, with models being superceeded by more sophisticated versions. Thus the maintenance engineers on the front lines had numerous variants of equipment that had slightly different components- made it harder to keep parts and maintain everything. They'd have done better to produce longer production runs and substitute volume for minor improvements in effectiveness- that were not necessarily realized in the field because of breakdowns that couldn't then be so readily fixed.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think there's one in the Smithsonian.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Along with a bomber version (forgot the ME designation) with retractable gear. Scary stuff... if Schickelgruber had been more a strategist and less a dreamin' maniac we'd all be goose-steppin' automatons. LBC's? mmmm... doubt it. :shocked:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd love to have a model of it hanging from the ceiling of my upstairs gameroom....need to stop by my local model shop to see if they have one.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd go for B-24's and F-22's, personally. :wink:

aeronca65t, yup, chuck yager in his p 51 shot down a 262 as it was making an approach for a landing but not in a dogfight, id seen a 262 in the raf museum while in england, very cool ship.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag