• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A side curtain costs?

HerronScott

Darth Vader
All,

My TR3A didn't come with any side curtains so I was wondering what's it going to cost to get a pair to use as cores for rebuilding?

Scott

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
My guess is maybe $25-$50 for a pair of steel frame cores. Unfortunately I just sold off 3 very ratty sets of originals for $60 about 2 months ago. I still have a couple of aluminum frame (Amco?) versions sitting around - pm me if you'd like to take a look at them - I'm not sure if they are rebuildable unless you do it yourself though since they aren't factory frames.

Randy

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This is a very good question that I have been wondering about. My TR3 came with two very old ratty sidescreens that are unusable. The only place that I see that does rebuilding is TRF but including the cost of shipping them the cost of rebuilding would as much or more as new sidescreens. Are the sidescreens that the big 3 sell the same quality as the original sidescreens? What I mean is I'm sure the new ones probably look as good but are the internal frames the same quality as the original frames?

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
The problem with new side screens is that they may not fit your car well and it is no fun trying to bend the arms to fit on a nice shiny new set. If you are able to buy some old ones, you can fit them and adjust them to your car before sending them away to be rebuilt.
I bought a new set for my TR3 about four years ago from a British supplier. They don't fit the current position of the brackets on the doors. Really I need to bend the mountings on the side screens to fit the doors better and then probably re-locate the brackets on the doors. That will leave a mark on the door cards.
I have just kept using my rattly old Amco side screens and one day when I re-trim the car I will consider fitting the new screens.

OP
HerronScott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Randy,

Thanks for the information. I haven't seen a lot come up on either Craigslist or eBay in this kind of condition so didn't really have anything to go on as to what a reasonable cost was going to be. There's no worry that I'll need them soon since I first need to build the garage to work on the car(s) so I'll just keep my eye out for some cheap used ones.

Back in the 80's when we used to go to a lot of the British car shows (British Car Day in Bowie, Md, Import Day at Carlisle etc), there used to be a lot of people selling used and NOS parts. Is that still the case or has that dried up with the advent of eBay and Craigslist?

Scott

PSUTR3B

A few years ago while restoring my TR3, I bought used frames from TRF. They sent them to me so I good fit them to my car and then I returned them to TRF for rebuiling. They came back to me very nicely done. I still did some final tweaking and they fit very well. I'm thinking I paid $75 for the set of frames which were in good condition. And with TRF if they were not satisfactory I was sure I could return them with no problem.

Gary

OP
HerronScott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Gary,

Thanks, I saw that TRF said they could supply used frames which was an option depending how much they wanted for them.

Scott

OP
HerronScott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Hey thanks! I've been searching eBay every couple of days but hadn't see this one yet. I'm watching it now although his shipping costs are going to bring the total up.

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On the subject of side curtains -- I have heard described but not seen a set-up wherein someone has made a set of folding side curtains. Not the ones that fold in half (I've seen those) but rather a solid straight piece across the waist-line with a flexible window that attaches to the top (velcro?) and a flexible lower that attaches to the LTDs on the door.

The whole dingus rolls up really small when stowed.

That sounds like just the thing for long trips where you do not expect to use the side curtains but have to take them 'just in case'.

Anybody seen these in action?