• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shipping heavy bulk items [triumph related]

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I found a period correct hood locally. The guy wanted $1000 for it, even though, its got bondo and rust all over it, doesnt have trim or badging or anything. Since I explained to him what they REALLY go for, he asked for my counter offer. My offer was $250 and he keeps my mint 1970s hood, or $300 and I keep it. Sounds like a good deal considering that vehicles is beyond restoration, its just there to store gt6 parts, its been sitting for years, and hed still have a hood to cover his engine

Anyway, its been weeks and he still hasnt responded to my email, so Im guessing no. I found one in CO, as well as others elsewhere. The going rate seems to be $300. Problem is I dont know if any of these people would actually ship something like this. I know I wouldnt. If I did, Id use ebay, not craigslist. And before I contact anyone about it, Id like to know just how much something like that would cost, and what steps to take. Basically I want to do as much work as I can for the seller.

I basically know nothing at all on the subject of shipping. Im just pretty sure that if someone showed up at the post office witha a giant freakin hood, theyd either turn them away or charge them $5000.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Maybe in NY. But Im from TX... ...truck country. Factory to millions of trucks and SUVs. You are never NEVER supposed to haul anything in your truck, EVER! I dont care if that sucker has rhino lining. Never ever ever! And SUVs were never designed to haul cargo like that! How on earth is a single parent supposed to chauffeur their only child to and from school?!? They cant take the bus! You cant tie it to the roof! it will flip! it will scratch the paint! decrease fuel economy! Not to mention how if they went any slower in a turn theyd have to go backwards!

Its sad, but my mustang and my husbands neon has hauled more stuff than most SUVs and trucks. Probably been off road more times too.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We've ferreted home five drawer filing cabinets, 12' Christmas trees and 26" TV's with an MGB. Just need to be creative.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
DrEntropy said:
We've ferreted home five drawer filing cabinets, 12' Christmas trees and 26" TV's with an MGB. Just need to be creative.

All one trip? Ive been pretty close in my mustang, but since I already had cargo, and didnt want to scratch my trunk, I made more than one trip.

I just love the looks we get at Lowes and Home Depot when we load up the neon. Everyone stepping out of their SUV and truck, walking towards the entrance with their jaws dropped.

Once I carried my own mustang bumper, in the neon, not the convertible. The guy I met had a Honda Element. He couldnt get the thing to fit! Maybe Im right, maybe SUVs are useless. (I consider cross overs, mpvs, and on some odd days 3-5 doors SUV) I mistook a scion for an SUV, only because being parked in a row of SUVs, it just blended in. Man modern cars are big!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
You might be over the size limit - but try Greyhound. Greyhound Package Express can handle things like fenders/doors etc., and the price will be pretty cheap based on my experience.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Rent a U-haul and go pick it up. Regardless of how you get it home, you will pay for the transportation, either directly or indirectly.

Also, whatever you do, you need to act quickly. When your state eventually becomes a foreign country there will be additional charges for import duty for anything coming from "outside" :jester:

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
What you will find is the weight isn't the issue. It is the size. You most likely will want it on a pallet with some type of box and wood around it.

I am looking at having an engine moved from NY to Minnesota and it is about 500lbs and would be about $250 freight.But it has to be on a 4x4 pallet. The guy on the other side would have to be willing to help with that. Go to this site and this will give you some ideas of charges. https://www.freightcenter.com

Your best bet is to go and get it and strap it to the roof of the neon. Make your husband take you for a nice 3 day weekend or something to a romantic place and pick up the hood on the way home. Kill two birds with one stone.

The other way is to call a moving company and they move stuff all the time. I got both my motorcycle moved by the local United Van Lines. They dead head back all the time from places and are looking for anything to make some money coming back. They can put it against the wall with blankets and do a really good job of moving it. It may take a couple weeks or months for them to have a truck going that why but I paid 400 for the first bike (850lbs) and 4 years later during the high price of gas I paid 600. One came from Florida and the other from Arizona.

You may find that you can buy a parts car for about the price of the hood.

Good luck.

T

Tinster

angelfj said:
Rent a U-haul and go pick it up. Regardless of how you get it home, you will pay for the transportation, either directly or indirectly.

Also, whatever you do, you need to act quickly. When your state eventually becomes a foreign country there will be additional charges for import duty for anything coming from "outside" :jester:

<span style="color: #CC0000">Frank: you don't mean the special handing and US postal fee of $87
to mail a $13. rocker arm from PA to PR zip code 00961 do you? Crooks!

I guess it takes a whole lot of special effort to type 00961 instead of 21045.</span>

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
angelfj said:

That wont matter.

If we adopt our own currency rather than use the US dollar, it will be stronger and hold its value better. Such taxes and fees will only be a matter of pennies to us. Besides theres always NAFTA.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
TR4nut said:
You might be over the size limit - but try Greyhound. Greyhound Package Express can handle things like fenders/doors etc., and the price will be pretty cheap based on my experience.

Wow, that sounds very possible. I'll hafta get dimensions for it
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Packages will be accepted for transportation, provided the dimensions of the package are within 30 inches X 47 inches X 82 inches.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much something like that would weigh

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
<span style="font-style: italic">Such taxes and fees will only be a matter of pennies to us. </span>

Sounds like a plan - I can't wait! :rolleyes:

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
<span style="color: #CC0000">Frank: you don't mean the special handing and US postal fee of $87

I guess it takes a whole lot of special effort to type 00961 instead of 21045.</span> [/quote]

Are you kiddin? What about the flat rate boxes?

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
angelfj said:
<span style="font-style: italic">Such taxes and fees will only be a matter of pennies to us. </span>

Sounds like a plan - I can't wait! :rolleyes:

Actually, according to some people, were already our own country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Texas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]In 1861, eligible white Texan males aged 21 and older voted four-to-one to leave the Union. Texas met the qualifications, under international law, of a captive nation of war, since the end of the American Civil War in 1865.[/QUOTE]

In other words, we became an independent nation after Mexico. A decade later we became a state, losing Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Wyoming as part of our once great nation. Then a decade in a half later we succeeded again. We never rejoined officially.

Its kinda like if the US gained control over hungary after WWII. Well I know the soviets did, but basically they didnt really do anything during the war, much like Texas. Somehow after the war US just assumed TX was part of the nation again... ...many people did/do

T

Tinster

angelfj said:

I guess it takes a whole lot of special effort to type 00961 instead of 21045.</span>

Are you kiddin? What about the flat rate boxes? [/quote]

<span style="color: #990000">Not enough profiteerng for the vendors.
The worst I can recall was $75 shipping for a $4. dizzy condenser.

D</span>