• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Saturn-What now?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Penske has backed out of the deal with GM (to buy Saturn)

Wonder that will happen to Saturn now?
--More Info--

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The reason he backed out was that GM said it will stop the line.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, the <span style="font-style: italic">Skye</span> really is falling.

bugimike

Yoda
hehehe...Chicken Little WAS right after all!!! :laugh:

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
That's a real bummer. My fiancee is from Tennessee, and there's a big plant there. Lot's of jobs.

With both Pontiac and Saturn consigned to history, I wonder what will happen to the Solstice/Sky platform. I've read that they had reliability problems, but I always thought that the Solstice was a cool looking beast.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
MadRiver said:
That's a real bummer. My fiancee is from Tennessee, and there's a big plant there. Lot's of jobs.

Yes, indeed - a HUGE hit to the midstate. The town of Springhill was little more than a dot on the map before Saturn arrived.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
MadRiver said:
.......With both Pontiac and Saturn consigned to history, I wonder what will happen to the Solstice/Sky platform. I've read that they had reliability problems, but I always thought that the Solstice was a cool looking beast.

Yeah, that (along with the loss of jobs) is one of the things that I feel bad about.

Our Miata is 10 years old (but still perfect). We had talked abut giving it to one of the kids and looking at a new Sky or Solstice.

There is *nothing* else from the US manufacturers like the Solstice/Sky.
I hope this doesn't make the rest of you gasp, but in the long run I was hoping the Corvette would morph onto this platform.

Oh well....maybe the new FIAT/Chrysler connection will bring some interesting cars to North America.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
I have a freind who got one of the last Solstice GXP it is a coupe with a 5-6 speed standard trans. really good looking car Instant collector item. The sky and the solstice were just getting off the ground.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I worked for Oldsmobile AND Pontiac over the years.

I too promise not to do that again, thereby causing additional plant shut downs.

Of course, Nissan, Cadillac, Ford and Lexus are still doing OK, so I wasn't a total jinx.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Except for a '55 Chevy convertible & a Buick Skylark, I'm innocent.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So which one-a youse is responsible fer Hupmobile? :devilgrin:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
So which one-a youse is responsible fer Hupmobile? :devilgrin:

Wasn't me, I'm only responsible for Simca... :laugh:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That was a mercy killing, Art. :smirk:

Thank you!

tomshobby

Yoda
I worked for a large company once and it was being sold. In a meeting where the employees were being told of the pending sale I asked what the price would be and after being told I suggested that at $14,000 per employee we should buy it ourselves. They all thought it was stupid and felt they were better off accepting their fate. The company has since been closed down.

I still think it would be a smart thing for the workers to buy the company themselves instead of all the whining. This working for the "man" has to end.

Oh, I left that company shortly after the sale and started my own engineering consulting company. Things were much better.