• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Want TR3? Got $32,000???

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't care how nice of a restoration it is or how much money he spent on it, no TR3 is worth $32,000. If he is a car guy he should have known this. Thats insane.

Bugeye58

Yoda
The sad thing is, some Schmuck will buy it, and everyone on the planet that owns a TR3 will think their car has increased in value because of it.
Arrrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!
Anybody want to buy a $50,000 GT6?
I thought not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

G

It looks like a pretty slick resto. I admire someone who has the time and the coins to resurrect an LBC to that level. I hope he gets his asking price! It just makes mine worth a little bit more. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Bill

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
Wow, that paint job alone is worth more than most peoples complete cars!

$32,000 for that car would be a steal compaired to what it would cost you to get one professionally restored to that level. I really don't see it as driving up the value of your average TR3.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
One TR3 has been in Hemmings for nearly three years at $19K.

I don't understand how people seem to think that the value of their car is derived from the cost of restoration. A TR3 that takes $250,000 to restore to a concours level still is only worth $16,500 -- although some have sold for higher to people in the "more money than brains club."

This car doesn't even have OD!

TR3cubka

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif while i agree with you completely, i think a lot of these guys list the cars on the reciept value. (cost of all the stuff they put into it etc) just because they know no one will buy it. Someone with that much background in the car, assuming he did it all himself and it seems he did, would know that the car would never be worth $32,000. So why? Id say to keep the old lady off his back "look hun, we have 40,000 in the car! im listing it for 32,000 im SURE someone will buy it soon!" you get the idea, im just speculating. Either that or he does belief he can get that much for it, but without some special history, it just shouldnt go for that price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

G

All this hyperbole about what a restored LBC is or is not worth is really irrelevant. Very few professional restorers will take an as-is example of a collectable car and do a true concours restoration on it with the distinct purpose of reselling it at a profit. They are almost always done for a specific client. True, some LBC's are climbing in value to the point that sinking a fortune into it with the anticipation of selling it for a fortune+ is a valid business decision. Cases in point: early XKEs, some big Healeys, etc. There are always some dot-com zillionaires out there who want the best and are willing to pay for it. That said, a guy that sinks 20-30K into an LBC, not counting his labor, knows in his heart that he will never get his asking price. Usually he is like the rest of us and does this as a labor of love. I for one have 30+ thou in my TR6 (please don't tell my wife!) but it has kept me out of the bars and really is my only hobby. I don't fish, golf, hunt or chase women (anymore, on all three accounts). It has been my sanity. It's not for sale and never will be. (Unless one of you has $29,999.00 you want to part with). Point is, we all agree that MOST commercial sellers on Ebay are shysters.
MOST private sellers want the max and most buyers want to pay the minimum. It's a matter of economics. It all boils down to, when in the market, ask a knowledgeable friend for help. Never succumb to pressure from the seller (there are plenty of LBCs out there) and do your homework. I have seen plenty of guys on this forum that bought cars that they were convinced were the deal-of-a-lifetime, only to find that these little boogers will eat you up when you really get into them. If I were a rich man, I personally would give the gent at the top of the forum his money in a heartbeat, knowing what I know now. Just me.

Bill

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Vert well put TR6Bill. You have just made the case for the value of this TR3. It has been long said that "you never pay too much...you just bought to soon".

BRIAN TOWNE

The unfortunate thing about this beautiful classic is that it is now a "Trailer Queen" at best. You won't see on the daily commute. Sad...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

V

vagt6

Whoever that restorer is, I say cheers and congrats to him! That TR3 is a work of art, and nothing less.

It is always difficult to place a dollar value on a work of art. Value, and beauty, are within the eye of the beholder. I hope he gets his $32K, it will help increase the value of all our Triumphs!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Speaking as one of our younger forum members, I must say I hope cars like this one do not start a trend of driving up the market on our brit cars. One of the great things about LBCs is the fact that us younger guys can actually afford to get into a fun, vechicle which we can work on and take some measure of pride in. Used to be any kid could go to a junk yard or a used car lot and find a 30s ford or chevy to hot rod. Now days only guys who were kids when those cars were 20 years old can afford to buy one and build a rod. Muscle cars, from my father's generation became collectible and expensive before I ever even got a license. The way the car world is anymore, the only option a young guy has to find an older car that he can make something of in a junk yard or on the used car lot without having to shell out 10 grand for a basket case is a British sports car. If a trend starts with these cars becoming more and more expensive till buying a TR3 becomes like buying a 69 Camaro, this car market will become as old, and stodgy as the hot rod and muscle car markets are becoming today. I don't think any of us want to see this happen with our beloved little cars.