• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shimmy Shimmy

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Ok I need some help diagnosing a problem. I get a strong shimmy at 25 mph and again at 50 or so. I thought that it was a bad wheel bearing. Replaced it and it was better but still there. I am planning to replace the other side, but what else should I look at?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sounds like a tire/wheel balance problem to me. When I had a similar problem with my motorhome, I took it to a friend who ran a tire shop, and he rebalanced that wheel using a bubble balancer ... wound up with a lot less weight and the problem disappeared.

Also worth noting that some of the manuals say to leave the front wheel bearings way loose. IMO you should follow the later Practical Hints (owner's manual) that says to only back off by 1/2 flat.

PS, I recall that when I was a kid, Dad had a car that had a vibration at a certain speed. They had tried swapping tires, and rebuilding the entire front suspension; finally gave up and just didn't drive that speed (58 mph as I recall). Then when the front tires eventually wore out and got replaced, the problem disappeared! Apparently, the real problem had been bad ball joints; but the tires had "caught" the problem from the ball joints. Swapping tires didn't help, because that was before replacing the BJs.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Eric:

Have you changed the position of any of the wheels, e.g. left to right or front to back?

Is it possible that you have 'thrown' a wheel balance weight?

Do you have wires or steel disc wheels? If wire, check for broken or loose spokes.

easiest way to eliminate wheels is to take your car to a shop with a wheel balance machine which will dynamically balance the wheel/tire.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Thanks I had considered that a possibility. I'll check the balance, new tires that were put on 4 years ago and then the car was parked. I did do the wheel bearings 10 ftlbs. then back off 2 flat.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Also they are steel discs. Whats a good torque for lugs?

Twosheds

Darth Vader
ekamm said:
Thanks I had considered that a possibility. I'll check the balance, new tires that were put on 4 years ago and then the car was parked. I did do the wheel bearings 10 ftlbs. then back off 2 flat.

Two flats? That's too much, unless it's a typo.

I back off until the next hole lines up.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I drove it a little yesterday and plan to check it before I go out again. That setting is what the workshop manual said. Although I typically tighten bearings for any application until the get difficult to spin and then back off a hair till it spins smooth.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Went home for lunch and looked. Definitely threw a weight on the right front. Same wheel that I replaced bearings on. Can't believe that I didn't notice it earlier. I'll take it in get balanced today. The front end is sloppy and some of it is at the steering box. I'm sure not untypical of 50 year old cars. I want to rebuild the front end this winter. Any reviews on the rubber set sold by TRF? Looks like it takes care if all rubber in the front suspension.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Got the wheel balanced and it changed the shimmy, but it is still there. I guess that I'll start looking at the suspension. Now I have a new problem. See my post maybe you can help.

captainde

Hi I have a similar problem with my tr-3, I had all wheels balanced but the tires are very old, (20 years) I replaced one tire already because it had a flat spot on it from sitting for 18 years. I noticed that the control arm bushings (upper and lower) are very dry and cracked which may be causing the shimmy. I will replace the control arm busings this winter. The ball joints are fairly new.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Captainde

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ekamm said:
That setting is what the workshop manual said.
It was later changed to 1/2 flat in the factory owner's manual "Practical Hints for the Maintenance of the TR3".

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I read that in the manual the other day I have a rear brake problem that needs attention and when I get it up I'll check that. I also plan to replace rubber on the front suspension this winter but if you look at this (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/613554/Wobble#Post613554 )sounds like a lot of people having problem with steel wheels out of true and I'm considering a set of minilites. I'd like to find some used ones$$. I also looked at the steering magic kit on TRF site but no one had seemed to have used it so I'm still not sure what all that I need to replace but it all looks suspect. bThe other thing that I plan on is the peg in the steering box is likely worn which is a steering play issue.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
captainde said:
Hi I have a similar problem with my tr-3, I had all wheels balanced but the tires are very old, (20 years) I replaced one tire already because it had a flat spot on it from sitting for 18 years. I noticed that the control arm bushings (upper and lower) are very dry and cracked which may be causing the shimmy. I will replace the control arm busings this winter. The ball joints are fairly new.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Captainde
<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="font-style: italic">Any ideas would be appreciated.</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 10pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">Please (and don't misunderstand the urgency of my reply) replace the other three tires (and the spare) on that car! You are driving an accident waiting to happen with tires that old.</span></span></span>