• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Tires for a GT6

Rob_T

I was curious as to brand, tire size and feedback good or bad, that anyone has used on their a GT6. Currently my car has 165/70/13 on it, but only 2 hold air.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

D

DougF

Tire Rack only shows one tire in a 165, but if you are willing to bump up to a 175, there are 14. Reading the surveys, there are several good options. I have always had good success with Kuhmos. The General Altimax HP that is listed is what I currently have on my TR6 and has been a very good tire.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I've got Sumitomo HTR T4 175/70-13's. They've been on the GT6 for a little more than a year and I'm pleased. My driving style would be described as "spirited at times". Noticed that they were much quieter and that the steering was lighter than with the 155/80-13 Pirelli P3's they replaced.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I've not (yet, anyway) had Sumitomos on a GT6, but I've run 175/70s on a couple of them almost since that size became readily available in the 1970s. They do seem to suit the car a bit better than the original 155s while maintaining about the same rolling diameter, etc. I do have similar Sumitomos on a '95 Mercury Mystique, though, and I have no complaints at all!

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Unfortunately the choice is somewhat limited for 13 inch tires, but here is a good resource:

https://lotus-europa.com/tire_survey.html

(scroll down for the survey results)

Comments reflect installation on the lighter Europa, and most folks run at lower pressure so youresults may differ.

Rob.

OP
Rob_T

Rob_T

I've found the same problems with availability with the local shops. I'll check out Tire Rack, for more size options now that I know 175 70 13 won't have a clearance issue. Sumitomo will be on my list.
The Lotus site is an awesome resource, thanks.

Cheers,

Rob

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I have 13s on mine. I dont remember what the size, maybe 155/80-13. None of my tires match and all but 1 need to be replaced before its ever driven, but I got a good kumho on it.

I plan on trying to get more original dunlop tires, and use the kumho on my spare. If a dunlop tire isnt available, I will try goodyear. Kumho is a good brand. Had them on my mustang and my husbands neon, but it just doesnt seem appropriate on a gt6... ...I dunno, maybe Im weird.

I should point out that I have wire wheels. If I had minilites, I may do something else. Steel wheels... ...I dunno

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I hate to disappoint you, but you'll find very, very little in the original 155R13 size. I don't think there's anything in Dunlop; Goodyear doesn't seem to have anything, either. For what it's worth, typical OE tires on the GT6 in the US were Goodyear G800, 155SR13; they haven't been around in many years. There seem to be only five different tires in that size available through TireRack, and three of them are snows!

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
I hate to disappoint you, but you'll find very, very little in the original 155R13 size. I don't think there's anything in Dunlop; Goodyear doesn't seem to have anything, either. For what it's worth, typical OE tires on the GT6 in the US were Goodyear G800, 155SR13; they haven't been around in many years. There seem to be only five different tires in that size available through TireRack, and three of them are snows!

Seems the goodyear 155sr13 was recalled back in 1980.

I found a bunch of these, never heard of any of these brands though (other than kumho) https://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=155%2F80-13

Anything here that will work?
https://www.sascosports.com/products/index.php

-Edit-

Quick question: Does any of these work?
https://store.coker.com/search.php?mode=s...ubstring=560-13

-Edit 2-

Found it!!!
https://www.ottawatiresdirect.com/dunlop-sp-40-as-p-12475.html

I'll probably hafta get them somewhere else though, but Dunlop SP 40 A/S is it. I can still get Dunlop C41s from Coker, but its $190 a wheel! And for 13s, I just think thats too much.

JonShar

Freshman Member
Just reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one!

I've got 155/80-13 tires currently, will I be fine to convert to 175/70-13s? I've got minilite wheels, not sure if that matters.

Cheers!

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one!

I've got 155/80-13 tires currently, will I be fine to convert to 175/70-13s? I've got minilite wheels, not sure if that matters.

Cheers!

I would think that there should be no problem provided that the wheel width is in the 4 1/2" to 6" wide range. Any narrower than 4 1/2" wide or over 6" wide would likely be problematic.

JonShar

Freshman Member
I would think that there should be no problem provided that the wheel width is in the 4 1/2" to 6" wide range. Any narrower than 4 1/2" wide or over 6" wide would likely be problematic.

Cheers mate! I haven't measured it, but the inner part of the rim seems to be a good 1/2 inch wider than the current tire, so that should work - I'll measure it later though. Thanks for the heads up!