• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

F1 and Renault

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Two year suspended ban for Renault, Briatore is banned from any FIA sanctioned motorsport for an "unlimited period" and will not be allowed to manage any F1 drivers. Symonds received a five year ban. Decent decision, I just wish they would have come down harder against Renault.

T

Tinster

I'm surprised they even went as far as they did.
I expected a much milder slap on the wrist.

dale(Tinster)

A

aerog

Hmm:

<span style="font-style: italic">Briatore will also not be allowed to manage any drivers in F1, with the FIA stating that it will not renew any Superlicence granted to a driver who is associated with Briatore. At the moment Briatore manages Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Heikki Kovalainen, Romain Grosjean in F1.</span>

But then...
<span style="font-style: italic">The FIA also ruled that Alonso, who testified at the hearing, was not involved in the Renault race-fix matter.</span>

Does that mean Alonso, Webber, Kovalainen, and Grosjean won't have their licenses renewed to race?

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
aerog said:
Hmm:

Does that mean Alonso, Webber, Kovalainen, and Grosjean won't have their licenses renewed to race?

I think it means that these drivers will have to get a new manager. I bet there is some sort of get out clause in their contracts they can use.

V

vagt6

I'm not surprised that it happened, but that they got caught. Anywhere there's lotsa money flying around (as in F1), inevitably there's corruption.

Sad news for a sport that's already reeling.

I hope this doesn't continue to spiral downward, sending F1 down the tubes.

Too bad. :nonono:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
While I understand the pressure Piquet must have been under, I am surprised he is not penalized. For a "crime" of this magnitude (if you agree with the verdict), he is the one who committed it.

As my mom told me as a teenager, when I am behind the wheel, I am the person ultimately responsible... regardless of what other people tell me ("all clear on the left" or the ubiquitous "how fast can this car go?")

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Mike, Point very well made. Ultimately, Piquet Jr.'s "penalty" will probably be the inability to secure a ride at any level.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
You're probably right! He also did not do too good of a job at Renault; but #2 under Briatore is always misery... just ask Button and Fisichella, two respectable drivers that were squashed under Renault.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Parts of an interview with Robert Kubica:
https://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78813

Q. What are the chances of Nelson Piquet returning to Formula 1?

RK: I don't know.

Q. Would you welcome him back?

RK: Him? Whatever, I'm not the boss of this paddock so he can come in, no problem as a driver. But you have to be really desperate to do something like this. If everything was done on purpose I would jump out of the car on the starting grid. I'd say I'm not racing or I feel bad instead of doing it. I'm surprised. He's an experienced driver, he's done a lot of races and I'm very surprised he made that deal.

Q. Do you think giving him immunity sends the wrong message?

RK: Yeah, normally if you go the police and you say you killed someone but you know someone else who killed three people, you will still go to jail. Maybe you will not have 100 per cent penalty, but you will still have problems. As I said, it's complex.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Quotes from other drivers: https://www.kansascity.com/461/story/1465943.html

Button: "I don't know if you can have too much sympathy for a driver that crashes on purpose."

Webber: "That's what he did and what he has to live with and it's very dificult for him to come back."

Rosberg: "We have this everywhere in life, in business, sport. There are always going to be individuals who do something illegal. It's a matter of getting them out of the way, which has been done."

William

Darth Vader
Tinster said:
I'm surprised they even went as far as they did.
I expected a much milder slap on the wrist.

dale(Tinster)

Easy to explain, Dale. The cars aren't bright red and Italian.

Frankly, this about seals the deal for me. I'm done with "Formula One".

-Wm.