• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My '72 Europa

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Last November I bought a 1972 Lotus Europa Twin Cam and from then until now I've been renovating it, as a driver rather than a concours car. Last week I insured and registered it, and took it for its state inspection. It's now road legal, though not 100% finished. Come to think of it, it never will be!
Anyway, here's a link to some progress pictures I took on the way
Europa progress

RobT

Jedi Warrior
My, you have been busy! Looks great. The "before" and "after" pics of the engine bay are quite impressive. So how is it on the road? Been for a good blast on the "twisties" yet?

Congrats and enjoy.

Rob.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Nice.

Dis you do away with the wood bulkhead?

What did you yse on the frame?

OP
Roger

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks both.
Rob,
I haven't had much chance to really test it yet, I'm still setting dampers etc. But I live in anticipation!

Super 7 - No, I left the bulkhead in place. I think it's made of FRIB (Fire Resistant Insulation Board) that we used to use in the construction industry in UK. I sandwiched double-sided foil-backed glaasfibre insulation between it and the aluminium sheet you can see, and dispensed with the other stuff that was there. I hope it works OK - if not, something else will!
The frame was in remarkably good shape when I got the body off, which was a blessing. It was take down to bare metal externally only, (there was some surface rust) and had one coat of primer and two of enamel - Rustoleum. I reckon it'll probably never have a hard life again and if what Lotus did lasted for 37 years, this ought to be good for another 40 or so!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DynaMat can help stave off some of the heat/noise on the bulkhead, too.

Did ya change out the water pump when the unit was out, Roger? It ~can~ be done in situ but things are TIGHT in there.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Roger:

What dampers/springs are you running?

I have AVOs all round, and stock springs. My set-up is probably not optimum for handling - the AVOs like most dampers for the Europa have the adjustable perches, so I have it wound up about 1 inch higher than stock - this prevents getting "hung up" on speed bumps and wiping out the front spoiler or rear gear linkage on driveway ramps etc. Even so, I take things nice and slow on any large irregularities.

I assume you have found Jerry Johnson's Europa site and its resources, and the Yahoo web ring?

Also you should be prepared to be constantly questioned about the Europa when filling up for gas, getting groceries etc. Last week I had someone follow me to work and into the parking lot to quiz me on the TCS. All of which I find quite flattering really.

Cheers,

Rob.

OP
Roger

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
The PO had changed the water pump, so I left it. If I get a problem, that's another little job to keep me busy!

Dampers are Spax and springs are lowered, from RD. I'm still working on getting them right. I'm familiar with the issues with bumps, driveways, etc. - I have been running an Elise as Daily Driver for the last 4 years. That's also got me accustomed to the "What is it?" questions, though yesterday when the 2 of them were together I got a "What are they?" question for a change. I explained that one was a 30 year older design than the other (near enough) but they weren't too different in what they tried to do with contemporary knowledge and availability. I like the questions too, particularly if they're intelligent and/or enthusiastic. I can't stand those who want me to put "Chrome Rims" on or other similar horrors.

And yes, I found Jerry's site and it was invaluable. I just emailed him to say so - that's a great resource for a Europa fettler.

Country flag
That looks really nice! Good luck wiht it.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Roger, you and I have different understanding of the word "renovate." A renovation means you cleaned all the stains off the interior, sprayed the vinyl with Armor-All, washed the engine compartment with spray Gunk, washed the car and treated the paint with compound and a buffer, and changed the oil, plugs wires and filters.

That is not what you did. You did a frame-off restoration.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

How true.

"Just make it RUN fercryinoutloud!!"

:wink:

OP
Roger

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Thing is, if you say you've done a "frame-off restoration" peolple expect an immaculate, concours car, and that's not what I did.
The main reason for taking the body off was to remove the frozen-in front suspension pivots. There isn't much room with the body on, and since all the bushes were disintegrating the wishbones had to come off. Being retired, I have plenty of time to indulge myself and it gave the opportunity to de-rust and paint the chassis.
But I've put it back together as a goer, not a looker. Very much function over form, though trying to keep it looking respectable. I may treat it to a respray one of these days.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Nice motor, Roger. You can remove the pivots with out taking the body off. I have a 73 on the floor at the moment and have done the suspension and shockers.
Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
D.

OP
Roger

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Grantura_MKI said:
Nice motor, Roger. You can remove the pivots with out taking the body off. I have a 73 on the floor at the moment and have done the suspension and shockers.
Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
D.

Well, maybe you can, but if they're frozen in place and several days soaking in Kroil doesn't budge them, what do you do then? I had to cut and drill them out eventually.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
That is what I have done. It is a crappy job no matter what. There is really no good way to soak them, so I usually just figure that I am going to spend some quality time with the drill motor.
Cheers,
D.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just remember: on reassembly anti-seize is your friend. :wink:

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Do not give away all the tricks, Doc. I also tighten suspension hardware with the vehicle standing on it's tyres.
Chees,
D.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If ya do tighten it with the stuff danglin' the car looks like it's "on point" when lower'd to th' ground! Ever see a Lotus tiptoe down th' street? :wink: :jester:

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Yup, on the end of a tow truck! Just wish that I could get this one out of the workshop. Rear servo keeps give me problems...it is off to the rebuilder's once again.
Cheers,
D.