• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Electric Fan

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm in the middle of a ground up resto to my TR3, and would like to use a thermostatically controlled electric fan.

What is the procedure...I understand that the original fan assembly provided harmonic balancing for the crank. What can be removed?, and what has to stay?? Also, is there enough room to mount behind the radiator?, or do I need to go with a pusher?

What size and make is generally the best for this application??, And where would I have to mount the thermoswitch to activate the fan??

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I added one to mine some time ago. I left the existing fan on, due to the balancing issue. The fan I bought mounted to the front of the radiator, and I hard wired a switch up under the dash. It's not in use unless the temp. climbs up close to 200 (which is pretty much always in summer traffic). As it turned out, it didn't help as much as I had hoped, so I'm looking at replacing the radiator with something more substantial in the future.

Mickey

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Martx-5

I have put an electric fan in two TR3A. I used a 9 inch pusher fan (mounted on the front side of the radiator pushing air to the rear of the car through the radiator). It came with a thermal sensor that is a probe that inserts into the fins of the radiator to energizes the fan at a set temperature. The ones I bought from JC Whitney came with controller that allows the temperature set point to be adjusted up or down. They fanand controller with a wiring harness cost about $100. I wired mine so that the fan would only have power to it when the ignition is on. I had to make a small alteration to the front apron behind the grille to fit the fan in.

In the first installation, I kept the original fan installed. The last one I did the original fan blades were removed, but I kept the fan hub extension. IMO, there is not room to fit an electric fan on the rear of the radiator and retain the original fan. The cross tube may also get in the way.

My experience is that a TR3 radiator in good condition will keep the car cool (around 180 Degrees Fahrenheit) at road speeds above 30 MPH. It tends to heat up quickly in stop and go traffic. The original fan is not very effective in my opinion. I've found that the electric fan keeps the water temperature below 190 in stop and go traffic.

Safety Fast,
Dave

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I am of the opinion after 35 yrs of tr3's and 4's that Dave is correct.A tr radiator in good condition works well if moving. I have tried and am currently using a pusher type fan.But I must say my favorite setup is to adapt the tr7 fan to the tr3 hub, this gives superior air flow at any speed, weighs less than the old steel / aluminum paddle type, and will not pitch a blade off at speed.
I used it for manny years in my tr4, and now intend to put it back, leaving the pusher for some emergency(Death Valley???)
MD(mad dog)