• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opel

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There was an earlier thread on Opels, as I recall. I remember back in the early '70's the 1900, or the "Manta" coupes were great little cars. Back in my autocross days, there was one two-tone green one that walked all over everything in its class. Problem was the lack of support from Buick dealers who didn't seem to back them.

Mickey

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The Mantas have an enthusiastic following in the UK, there were some special editions introduced which really were quite nice. They are really not to be considered an investment though. The GT was a cute looking car that does have its devotees, but once again, not what you would put your money into if you were hoping for a nice or even modest gain in value.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My wife and I bought a 1973 Opel Manta Luxus. It was a deep purple/ brown/ devil's food cake knid of color. Rich wide wale cordoury upholstery. It handled very well and and had willing-to-rev engne. We were the contenders on the autocross course in Wheeling, WV back then. The only person to beat us was a guy named Harry from Pittsburg who also drove an Opel. Monthly we beat up the Pintos, Vegas, VWs, Spitfires, Hondas, Fiats, MGs, and (when the course was set up properly) even Corvettes.Don't get the wrong idea here- My wife is a great driver and I did OK, but it was the car that did so well.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I really like the look of the Manta for some reason. The GT is also nice the 4 banger is a bit underpowered. They are a terriable as an investment but so are most cars. If you buy one buy the best possible example as they aren't worth restoring moneywise (can also be said of most cars)

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Depends... Which model of Opel are you thinking of? And what do you mean by "investment"? Opel's are so unknown in North America, and future demand likely low that there is little likelihood of future price increases. If you like the idea of owning a unique car and don't expect to make mega-bucks off of it I don't see why you shouldn't purchase one, just don't necessarily expect to sell it five years for a profit if that is what are getting at. And there is parts support in the States through a network of enthusiasts (there is an Opel message board - North American based - that seems quite active)

OP
T

TimeforChange

I am not looking to make a profit out of it. I was wondering whether or not they're junk cars and not worth the money. I like the look of it and think that with the proper work they can look REALLY nice.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
They aren't junk by any means.......quite competent, and the Manta is a pretty nice car. You are right about improving the looks with the right work being done. Why an Opel by the way? Do you have a lead on one? Saabs might be ripe for new ideas too.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I say get an Opel. I had loads of fun in my GT, and if it hadn't been a rust bucket I'd still own it. It was fast handled well, and looked great. Or you could also listen to Steve, our former Saab salesman, and get a Saab they are also nice little cars, and the 900 turbo is very sporty.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Opels are just about the best financial "investment" you can make in a car. Just do the math.

Dump $100k into a new ricer (a ridiculous number of people do) and then you can turn around and sell it in two years for $30k. Your Return On Investment; -$70k

Drop $50k on a new Porsche Boxter then sell it in two years for $35k. ROI; -$15k

Pump $25k into restoring a muscle car that you bought for $15k and you can probably sell it for $30k. ROI; -$10k

Buy an ok LBC for $3500 and spend $15k working it over and with any luck you'll be able to sell it for $12k. ROI; -$6500

If you buy a tired but intact Opel for $500 and spend another $5k making it your fun little toy you can be reasonably certain to get at least $1000 for it down the line. ROI; -$4500, you can't beat that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

PC.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
The Opel 1900 was the scourge of Showroom Stock Sedan racing when the class was new, so they were outrunning the Rabbits etc in those days. The Fuel Injection was a pretty high tech feature back then.

I actually prefer the boxier 1900 sedan styling to that of the Manta. Plus a lot of Manta's had vinyl roofs (yuk. The GT seems to be the only one with a following here in the US though. A Manta or 1900 sedan in good shape would be hard to pass up for me if one presented itself. All things considered I would probably rather have a MK I Capri though.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
All things considered I would probably rather have a MK I Capri though.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really is something about the Mk1 Capri that makes it so desirable. That is one of those few mass-produced cars to have been styled correctly from the outset. Mind you, there is a certain 70's appeal to the vinyl roof. The Capri also had one of those on certain models, don't forget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I have to agree that a vinyl roof on a Manta is hideous. Luckily I haven't seen too many of them around this neighborhood.

As I recall Car and Driver reported that the Manta was so successful in its Showroom Stock class that the rules makers decided to ban it. Opel fans claim it was politically motivated. The excuse the governing body gave was that the fastback shape gave it an unfair aerodynamic advantage. This left the class to the square-back version of the same car, the 1900 coupe (known as the Ascona in Europe). The Ascona then went on to dominate the class.

Since my Manta was the best car I ever owned I would naturally lean toward one. That said, I think any of the cars on that platform are great, the GT, Manta, Ascona or Wagon. The GT is the considered most desirable these days so the prices aren't exactly cheap but they are quite reasonable. Mantas, Asconas and Wagons are very inexpensive but will usually need some work when you find one.

I had to turn down a '75 fuel injected Manta last year for next to nothing because I just didn't have the space.

They have a cult following in Europe so parts and go-fast goodies are available. If you're looking at a GT you'll be able to get whatever you need here in California from The Opel GT Source.

PC.

OP
T

TimeforChange

The reason I am/was interested in an Opel is that I love originality and uniqueness in a car. You don't see any Opels driving around in the streets anywhere. At least I don't. From looking at pictures of them, the width of the car is basically nothing. Is that right? The Opels I've seen that are for sale, seem to be 4 bangers. Is this commmon? Do they still have the performance that you guys are talking about with 4 bangers? Do Opels have steel or fiberglass bodies?

I saw a pic of the wagon in the website you gave PC. I loved it. I have always been fascinated by the looks of wagons. If I had a choice between the 2, I think I'd definately go for the wagon. What do you guys think?

here's the link of the wagon...

https://www.opelgtsource.com/pictures/custom/shop.cgi?cart_id=584310.23560&page=custom.htm

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...here's the link of the wagon...

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, that Wagon pictured is a one-off custom modified GT.

The standard wagon looks much less intriguing.
asc-a-b.jpg

It looks just like an Ascona in front. Note that the Asconas sold in the US were two-door coupes, not sedans.
asc-a-a.jpg

I still love the Manta.
X70Manta2.jpg

The Standard engines are SOHC inline fours. Most were 1900cc but some early GTs may have come with 1500cc motors, I don't remember. European GTs came as 1900cc, 1500cc and 1100cc versions.

The stock motor is rather pedestrian and somewhat docile in as-delivered, smogified form but has a solid bottom end and can be tuned up reasonably high for an engine of that era.

If I had an Opel today I'd probably get a 2.0L 16V motor from a newer car for it. They are very common in Europe and the UK and available at reasonable prices. (you see lots of those 16V engines installed in 7s in the UK)

Gil has pictures of a variety of GT engine installs (some very wild) under the Gallery section of his site: https://www.opelgtsource.com/pictures/engine/shop.cgi?cart_id=584310.23560&page=eng.htm

PC.