• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My phony Aero Screens

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice!

But doesn't that "Craftsman" logo get in your line of sight...? :jester:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
DSC01397.jpg

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Don, yup, those are the original holes in my '56. There is some discussion as to the orientation of the arms themselves, I like the screens closer rather than forward.

I may fashion some sideplates that sandwich to the vertical screen chanel to further mimic the originals but will do that whenever. BTW I just inverted thescreens so the Brooklands script is to the inside, the outerside just says Made in England (not original either) but better than saying Brooklands.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Don, wasn't really a kit, I just purchased the legs (4) and had him throw in a scale drawing of the original glass. Had a local guy cut the glass for $30 so a pretty cheap route.
I did put 3 18 guage machine spacers on each side of the screens for a proper fit in the original holes but they are hardly noticeable.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I think they should be as you have them showing in your photo. The idea was that you drive your sidescreen TR to the race track with the full windscreen mounted, then you remove it for the race and your aeroscreens are right there - already in place for you to start your race. No delay. No fuss. No muss.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Where did you get the rubber, glass and the legs from? I just recived the legs but they don't look like that.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
had the glass locally cut using a template, any glass shop should be able to do it. The rubber is a simple L shaped door seal piece that I applied double sided trim tape to.
Tinman, take a pic of the legs you have and post, maybe they look diff when mounted.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They are not chromed brass as the original but cast aluminum and the castings have minor imperfections in them, still, I'm happy with them for the price and the look/function.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just a thought. If they cut te glass does that mean it is not tempered, or was it safety glass with the film in the middle??? Or was it tempered after the fact. I know nothing about this sort of thing so I get nervous.