• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Alternator for TR3

jkent59

Freshman Member
Thanks for the help on my last posting, the TR4A manifold is in the shop getting ready for it's new life! The other project I need help on is converting from the original generator to an alternator. I've read a couple articles on the wiring aspect and mounting and feel comfortable with it, however, I'm a little up in the air over the pulley that I need to use. Is there a "ready to use" alternator out there that's compatible with with the pulley on the front of the crank? I've checked out a couple of the complete kits avaliable on the net and the seem way over priced! Thanks again for your help!

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I have been planning to do this on the TR4, though it is off the road right now so no progress.
I purchased a rebuilt Lucas alternator so as to keep as authentic as possible even if not original; I think the wide belt pulley from my generator will fit.
The kits are expensive because they include new pulleys to use a modern, narrow belt, sometimes people adapt a harmonic balancer from an MGB for use on the crankshaft pully.
There are also some Delco and Bosch alternators which fit easily, but the output may be too great for a car without modern electronic conveniences like rear defroster, big stereo, electric fuel pump etc.
Let us know how the project turns out!
Simon.

OP
J

jkent59

Freshman Member
Thanks for the input. We're going to replace the wiring harness when the body work is finished and we're upgrading the lights to halogen so the extra output from the alternator will be a big plus. We also have an electric fuel pump which was in use when the car was running, a hot coil for the electronic ignition and a reduced gear starter ( we plan on driving this car a lot!). Any suggestions on the ampes output we should be looking at with an alternator?Thanks for your help....

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
My TR4a has electric fuel pump, Pertronix ignition and electric fan, and was running on the original generator which has about 25 amp output. Problem is driving at night or in rain when you have everything going, at stoplights lamps dim, turn signals slow down, screen demister is useless. (I also use a small battery to save weight!)
Any increase should help; I think the Lucas alternators are 35-43 amp output depending on model.
Simon.