• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More questions... yeah I'm sorry...

VanHalenMan

First off. Today I changed my plugs and wires and the car runs MUCH better, the oil change tuesday helped out too. With all this new actuon under the hood I'm seeing something weird. When I'm cruising down I-70 at 65-70ish mph and I decide to get off I usually put the car in neutral and roll off the interstate and up the off ramp today my car dies while rolling. I can sit at a stoplight and the car won't die, but rolling from 65-70ish to 0mph it dies. Any reason why this would happen after changing my plugs? Its really weird.

Also...

I'm trying to improve gas mileage. So far I've replaced the plugs and wires and changed the oil. What else would help my gas mileage problem. Its not lookin so hot right now.

My oil pressure "problem" needs to be looked at. I was told in another thread that a relief valve may be stuck open or shut, where about is this and how can I check it?

AND LASSST Question...

Does anyone want to give me their AIM name so I can ask an occasional quick question. I PROMISE I won't be toooo annyoing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thank God for this board. Although my car seems problematic. There is a 96 Jeep and a 97 infinity in my driveway that aren't working all the while my 74 TR6 chugs along everyday to school, work, and to the girlfriends house almost perfectly. Now if I could just nail these silly stupid problems. It would be perfect.

Yesterday my car rolled over 00000 miles. From here on out I'm going to keep perfect track of the maint. I do to her. As if she was new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
It's possible your fuel pump is on its way out . . . at speed it can't keep up with the fuel needs resulting in an extra low bowl fuel level that causes a very lean condition on your off ramp.

Gas mileage-Check that none of your calipers or drum brakes are dragging. What is your mileage? If you're in the 20's, that's what to expect. Make sure your ignition is as strong as it can be (good coil & leads, rotor, cap, points/condenser). Finally, check that your carb needles aren't set too rich.

Your oil pump PRV is easily removed from the driver's side of the block below the distributor. It's a hex-shaped plug that protrudes a couple of inches from the block. Remove it and the PRV plunger & spring are easily retrieved for cleaning. Check for any binding on reassembly. There is an uprated PRV spring available from the Big 3 to increase the bypass pressure.

Good luck.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Another factor in gas mileage would be your tyre pressures.....you need to check these weekly (more often if you have wires I think) and make sure that they are up to snuff all the time.....can make a difference of 20% in fuel economy. These TRs were never the most economical of beasts at the best of times though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TR3cubka

the best tip i can give to your gas mileage situation is to keep your car tuned properly. The proper air fuel mixture will make sure you produce as much power as possible, AND prevent wasting gas that isnt even burnt. Just make sure you have someone that is qualified to do it or you could make your problems worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
V

VanHalenMan

Okay, keeping the car tuned properly is hard when I know NOTHING about the car... haha, that's where you guys come in though... I wish I knew all, but I'm a young idiot.

Okay. Is there any sites that I need to see that can help me with little piddly stuff?

I have 2 new questions.

It sounds like behind my speedo there is a kitchen timer, you know the white ones that you sit on the oven and they click away almost a buzz, it sounds EXACTLY like that, what is it?

Question 2

When taking off in my car, it seems sluggish, like it bogs down and then rockets off. what can I do to fix this...

I need someone who works on Triumphs to just freaking tune my car for gods sake.

Yet again, thank you for your help.

-Chip

AIM: VanHalenMan

if anyone wants to give me an aim name so I can ask dumb questions THAT WOULD RULE!

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
It sounds like your cable may be going bad to the speedo or needs to be lubed. As for the other question you already answered it. The carbs need to be tuned as well as the rest of the car.

Get a good manual and it will walk you though alot of this. I refer to mine like a bible. Also if you go to some of the car parts places for Triumphs you can get catalogs with great pictures in them that break parts down really well. I refer to my spitbits and victory catalog all the time when working on the car. Tom

piman

Darth Vader
Hello VHM,
when you say the car bogs down then goes, this is the classic indication of weak mixture, and strangely this makes your fuel consumption worse.
Why do you put your car into neutral at 70 mph?, in the UK, that is an offence for the simple reason that you do not have full control of your vehicle. So the simple cure to your query is to modify your driving style.
Good luck,
Alec

OP
V

VanHalenMan

I'm going to get my car tuned by an older man in Chilicothe Missouri I guess he knows his stuff and can get one running great in about 45 minutes haha so my dad says. We will see how it goes.

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
VHM,
Regarding your question about a website that can help you with a bunch of stuff, your best bet isn't actually a website. Invest $50 in a Bentley manual for the TR6. It will tell you how everything (and I mean literally everything that has to do with your 6) that you need to know.

mike crane

VHM
Try the buckeyetriumphs.org website for in depth technical info. Webb is right the Bentley book is indispensible when working on the TR6.
Mike