• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello, need onfo on a super 7/caterham...

Iambny

Freshman Member
Hello, my name is Anthony, from long island new york.
I have intrest in buying a caterham super 7.
I just have some questions...
Has anyone ever bought one from over seas from a dealer, and how much work was involved to complete the deal?
Are these legal u.s. road cars, and what kind of insurance did you get...collecter, exotic ect..
When buying a car like this over seas, how hard is it to register?
I've always loved the "pure sport" in this car,and would love to own one, thanks for your help and time!!!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Has anyone ever bought one from over seas from a dealer, and how much work was involved to complete the deal?

I assume you mean an overseas dealer? I bought mine at an extremely good price from a US dealer. Have you found a better price overseas?

Are these legal u.s. road cars

Yes

and what kind of insurance did you get...collecter, exotic etc.

Collector insurance.
When buying a car like this over seas, how hard is it to register?

Easy to register but not sure when you import one. Because mine came in parts, it was simple to register.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Why do you want to buy it overseas?

Have you considered a Lotus 7? Usually cheaper than a new Caterham.

Have you considered a Birkin? They are a decent replica for about 2/3 the cost of a Caterham, although simpler.

OP
I

Iambny

Freshman Member
Thanks for the great advice....and to Bruce b. it must have felt great building one! i wish i had the time, and tools to do such a task.
Actually, i never herd of Birkin till you mentioned it. I checked out their USA web site, and as expected i also love there 7's. The problem is none of their cars come fully assembled, but they offer a link to a dealer in M.A. that fits them with the motor and other extras. I actually would like to find a used one, nothing fancy just a basic 7. Do any of you know a reasource sites (web pages) where these cars, lotus, caterham Birkin are sold and traded constantly? I will be seriously looking for a car come december-feb (winter months) for my spring summer fall toy. I would greatly apretiate any advice in seeking for one of these cars.
Again i thank you!!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
https://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/se7ens/

This is the address to the Yahoo Group for (mostly) non-Lotus Sevens. E Bay usually has a couple 7 type cars for sale, Trader Online has them. Hemmings.com has them too.

They are a lot of fun. New cars are way heavier than originals, unluss you pay the extreme prices for a "superlight". They are still way lighter than other cars.

Caterhams mostly have a De Dion rear suspension with a Ford rear end. Birkin has a live rear axel with Toyota rear end. Both mostly use Ford Zetek engine. Caterham "Classic" has a live axel.

Early Westfields, what are called "pre lawsuit" cars are also good copies. Later ones are kind of wierd looking but they work well I guess.

Cars from the 80's and early 90's usually have a Ford Kent motor, a decendent of the Cortina engine. They are very reliable and durable. In the normal state of tune, 1700cc Supersprint, they put out about 125 hp (Caterham claimed much more) Zetec puts out 140 horse. My car, with a 1500cc Ford, has 101 hp on the Dyno, and is much more than adequate in power.

Good luck finding one.

racing girl

Jedi Knight
Another one to consider would be the Dax Rush, the only downside is that they would have to be imported as a kit and then built up, it's the only way to get one in. They have a number of engine options including an absolute screamer... a turbo charged Hayabusa! 0-60 in 2.6 seconds! One of these beasties turned up at Battle of the Brits in Michigan this weekend, I immediately found a new best friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif His car is not turboed, yet, but he does have a nitrous bottle on it which is giving him 280bhp! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Nice cars.

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Westemp

Freshman Member
Anthony.....there's a Caterham dealer in Caledonia, Ontario, Canada. He's got 2 for sale at the moment. Your US dollars would go farther in Canada and you could drive it home.Doug McDonough can be reached at: www.caterhamcanada.com or 1-905-765-5370