• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey Liftback ?

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Re: Healey fastback ?

I started a thread about A-H fixed topped cars last year, and asked if they were still around. Never saw or heard about this one before- looks like a lift-back.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

ModifiedBJ7 said:
- looks like a lift-back.
Or a hearse. :jester: It kinda looses the sportiness.

Shane

Jedi Warrior

Wow, looks like the only true four seater Healey. Maybe a custom job? Don't really care for it, though...

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

Looks like a custom. Donald Healey did make 2 (maybe just one) for himself, if I recall the story. That does not look like the one I saw though.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Correct, DMH did have a personal car that resembles this one but this one is not his original personal car.---Keoke

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

You may want to check out Bill Emerson's book on pp 106-109. This car is very similiar to the two that were comissioned as test vehicles by the DM Motor Company. :driving:

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
If I remember right, someone in the '70s offered a fastback hardtop,it used the stock boot& was pretty sleek looking.I really wanted a hardtop at the time(wa weather), luckily the urge passed, though I think it would have looked cool on my '60 BT7(2place)black,better left stock. cheers Genos2

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
There were fastback hardtops available. I looked at one for my 1965 MGB in 1965.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Wasn't there a recent article in one of the nations pubs about a year or so ago about the ACME unit?

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
hmmm, 15 minutes to install the beautifully designed top. I'm leary about that claim.

I do like the lines. I also like the tail lights.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Where do I send my money????? I doubt it only takes 15 minutes to install though.

I do remember the 2 hardtops DMH made. Since BMC wasn't interested (they went with the MGC). I did read somewhere that DMH sold the plans to FORD in 1969 and they in turn used the plans to make the Mercury Capri hatchback. I always thought if I could find a '69 Capri maybe I could utilize for a AH.
What do you guys think?

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
according to Graham Robson's book, 'Austin-Healey 100 & 3000 Series, the ones built by DHM were called Hatchback Coupes and they do have a more vertically sloped Hatch at the rear. the side rear window treatment is shaped differently than the one you show. Reference: Pg-173. I believe I like DHM's design myself.

B

BUNDYRUM

I can see 2 good reasons for liking the ACME Fabricating Co top.

bundyrum.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
What's the other one Bundy? Oh, you mean the car!

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello vette,

I can honestly say I was not thinking about the car itself this time.

AUSMHLY. That picture is the same one as on P183 of Chris Harvey's 1978 book, HEALEY The Handsome Brute.There is a very brief description but nothing with any detail.

On page 177 of the same book there is mention of 2 BN1 type cars converted to coupes one of which acquired a 100/S engine and gearbox that Donald Healey drove for a number of years. The 2nd car was built with a 6 cylinder engine and had an opening rear window. I remember a car in Australia in the early 1980"s that had this feature. I think this was copied off the Austin A90 Atlantic Hardtop.

Mention is made of a Ralph Boothe maybe from So Cal who also built a coupe on a BN2 he bought in 1956. I believe this has been documented elsewhere.

P 178 of the same book starts to talk about the 2 6 cylinder coupes X312 built at Warwick and X313 built by "Tickford".

The only other coupe mentioned was one on p 179 called a WSM.

More details and photo's on X312 and X313 can be found in Geoff Healeys' 1980 book, Healey: The Specials, Pages 153-160.

There is a phot and few details on Page 83 of Graham Robsons' 1981 book, The Big Healeys: A Collector's Guide.

Best Regards,

bundyrum.