• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Cooler Leak

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Found a small (new) puddle of oil under the 250 this morning. I traced it to the oil cooler. At first I thought that the leak was at one of the two threaded connections. No, such luck. This thing is all aluminum and is part of the set up with the spin-on filter adapter, etc that I bought from Moss, part number 235-995, 16 row, dimensions, 11"x5"x2". I notice dozens oil coolers available domestically for less than half of the Moss replacement price of $160.

How critical is the size and how can I be sure that the threads are identical?

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Frank, On my GT6, I run a Mocal 10 row with a Mocal thermostat (180deg.). I think it works great on the 2.0 6 cylinder. That threading business is another story. My guess, if you purchased from Moss, you would want the BSP threading. Take a look at this from Mocal: https://64.202.180.37/files/tchart.pdf. It should allow you to determine what you've got.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Peter: OK, so the cooler requires a rigid mounting. I had 4 - 1/4-28 bolts/nuts through the bottom flange and the radiator bottom shield. Do you believe this could have caused the leak. The mounting kit appears to provide clamping force between the top and bottom plate. Is that correct? BTW, it appears that I actually got this unit from TRF. I am hoping they will send me a replacement.
Thanks for your input.

PeterK

Yoda
Yes, the 1/4-28x? bottom only mounting is a problem. Use top and bottom reinforcing plates and long bolts that clamp the cooler tight. Might also want to tie-wrap the hoses to prevent torquing the fittings.

hth

-PK

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
I agree with Peter, aluminum oil coolers <span style="font-weight: bold">will</span> crack and cause you to loose your oil. A friend's cooler split, luckily while he parked in his driveway, and dumped his whole oil supply. I used the Earl's clamp on top and bottom and scored four long pieces of stainless 1/4" all-thread and a bunch of stainless nuts, washers and lock nuts to brace the whole thing to the skid plate. Used multiples of each to lock the all-thread to the plate, to the brackets and to itself. Meaning, didn't so much over clamp the cooler as made a very rigid cage for it to rest in. Understand?

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
I agree with Peter, aluminum oil coolers <span style="font-weight: bold">will</span> crack and cause you to loose your oil. A friend's cooler split, luckily while he parked in his driveway, and dumped his whole oil supply. I used the Earl's clamp on top and bottom and scored four long pieces of stainless 1/4" all-thread and a bunch of stainless nuts, washers and lock nuts to brace the whole thing to the skid plate. Used multiples of each to lock the all-thread to the plate, to the brackets and to itself. Meaning, didn't so much over clamp the cooler as made a very rigid cage for it to rest in. Understand?

Bill, yes I understand the issue now - OK