• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Boring subject, but still need help TR6 trim rings

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
On my cross country trip I lost two trim rings. I went on Ebay and there were four used aluminum trim rings for sale. I just got them today and they look different from the ones I currently have on my 69 TR6. The Ebay rings are aluminum just like mine, but they are much heavier and are about 3" in width. The ones in my 69 are lighter and only about 2 1/4" in width. Quite frankly, the Ebay rings have a few dings I will have to work out, but they are much better made than what was on my car when I bought it three years ago. I have talked to a number of TR6 owners who said they never had this problem before which got me questioning if the trim rings on my car were original to start with. So, my questions are: 1)What years had aluminum trim rings? 2) Are the 69 trim rings different from the other years, or did I have the wrong rings on my car to begin with? Any comments would help greatly.
Kevin

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't have my literature handy, but ISTR a 69 TR6 should have the 'Rostyle' full hubcaps, instead of the trim rings and center section found on later TR6. The rings you describe sound like the optional rings used on earlier cars (with narrower wheels).

Do your wheels by any chance have the 3 posts sticking out, between the trim rings and the center trim ?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I had a '69 TR6 from new, and it came with the "Rostyle" hubcaps.

Edit: Here's a page from a '69 brochure. It's not very clear, but will give you the idea.

'69 TR6 Brochure Page

There's probably none of those horrible things left in the world, But if there are, they will most likely fetch a king's ransom! :laugh:

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I do know all five wheels are correct - I learned the hard way to make sure and measure the width which separates TR6's from earlier Triumphs. All TR6 wheels are 5.5" (6.5"across total width.), but the 69 is further unique in that it has a non continuous weld. If there were three posts for the Rostyles, I can see the holes where they would have been attached. The 69 TR6 I owned 30 years ago also had black center caps and trim rings (can't remember what they looked like).Of course, my earlier Triumph was used, and the owner could have made modifications back then too. I don't know how many options there were back in 69. I know the Rostyle caps were an option in 69, but were a pain since they tended to fall off easily when you hit a bump from what I have read. So, the bottom line is are you saying that the width of all TR6 rims were the same for all years?

Kevin

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ichthos said:
So, the bottom line is are you saying that the width of all TR6 rims were the same for all years?
Yes, I believe the early TR6 rims were 5.5" wide, but had the 3 studs for the Rostyle caps. I've got one like that, somewhere (but I think it's bent).

Just checked, the Moss catalog agrees with my (admittedly fallible) memory.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sorry, my last reply was confusing, what I meant to say is are all TR6 trim rings the same width? I like to keep my car as original as possible, but there is no way I would go back to the Rostyle caps. If center caps and trim rings were added to my car and weren't really and option, I would at least like to have original TR6 trim rings. By the way, when I mentioned the trim ring width, I was using a caliper width. If you used a tape measure it would be closer to 4".

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P