• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 tire size photos?

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hey all, I'm trying to decide between 205/70 and 215/70 tires for my TR6 on stock 15 x 5.5 steel wheels.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone have photos they could post of their TR6 and comment what tire size/brand you're running, and how you like them?</span>

I'm looking mostly for aesthetics since I don't drive the car too hard, followed by the best handling characteristics possible. I thought it might be useful to get a thread of pics going that show various tires sizes, preferably showing side and front angles to get a sense of height and width.

While I'm at it, a few other TR6 tire size references and comments:

- SCTOA size chart/comments
https://www.sctoa.org/tech.htm

- VTR page
https://www.vtr.org/maintain/tires-tr6.shtml

- Size difference calculator
https://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=tyre.htm

- Consensus on size
From what I've seen, consensus seems to be 205/70-15, with 215/70-15 a close second. Downside to the 215/70 is that some people say they rub on the tube rear tube shock conversion kit if you have one <span style="font-weight: bold">(can anyone confirm yae/nae, and which kit you have?)</span>, and some say they look too wide. But 215/70 is closer to stock diameter (205/70 are smaller than stock).

- Old versus new
I came across Coker, who sells a redline tire in the original stock size of 185-15 (with purported sidewall ratio of 82, or 185/82-15). They're pricey though, and I'm not sure how modern they are in term of tire performance. Diamondback Classics (https://www.dbtires.com) seems to be a nice hybrid--they put redlines on the sides of modern tires. Unfortunately I don't think there's much market for performance tires with 70 series sidewalls, so <span style="font-weight: bold">any recommendations people have for modern tires in terms of looks and performance are appreciated! </span>

Thanks, and hope that's helpful too! Feel free to comment on my comments as well.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I'll take some later today and post...

205/70/15 are a pretty common size to run and few people report any rubbing issues with a stock suspension set up.

What are you looking for by way of ride/handling/stance?

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
tdskip said:
I'll take some later today and post...

205/70/15 are a pretty common size to run and few people report any rubbing issues with a stock suspension set up.

What are you looking for by way of ride/handling/stance?

Thanks... I'm looking for the best handling with a stock appearance. Biggest concern is that the wheels fill up the wheel wells nicely since to my eye that's a great part of the TR6's design. Hence leaning toward 215/70s, being the closest in diameter... but also want to go to tube shocks in the rear eventually.

Stance-wise, I was thinking of lowering the car 1/2" or 1" with the Goodparts springs. Perhaps that's a variable too?

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi,

You can check out the wiki ( Tire sizes ) There lots of information in there and a few photos.

Personally I'm running 215/70/15 without any problems.

Cheers

EDIT, They fill out the wheel well pretty good, in fact they stick out slightly, so you'd have to be careful about lowering for wheel rub. I'm interested in lowering too so let us know how you make out.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
not TR6, but here is a photo of my TR260 with Goodrich redlines, 205-65R 15 on AR Silverstones.

Attachments

• 18047.jpg
    18047.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,991

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Frank,
you better put 4 anti-theft nuts on each wheel before i steel those baby's. LOL
I LOVE those wheels! (don't worry,i'm about 3000 miles away)
Rob

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Frank,
Rob

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks! Wiki is a great reference, too, though some more photos would be helpful.

Can anyone confirm if 215/70s rub on a tube shock conversion? And if so, did 205/70s not rub?

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
MTribe said:
Can anyone confirm if 215/70s rub on a tube shock conversion? And if so, did 205/70s not rub?

I can't tell you about 215 width tyres, but I recently bought a set of 205/70-15 tyres (Yokohama) and have had no problems with rubbing - I have the "simple" shock conversion kit from TRF (the one that attaches only to the chassis).

Cheers
Alistair

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
trfourtune said:
Frank,
Rob

I understand and I did.

BTW, we just returned from 8 days in the Canadian Rockies, followed by a few days in Vancouver Island. Your country is soooooo beautiful!!! You are very fortunate.

Attachments

• 18074.jpg
    18074.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,293
  • 18075.jpg
    18075.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,766

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
MTribe said:
Thanks! Wiki is a great reference, too, though some more photos would be helpful.

I have the TRF "structural" tube shock kit and my 215's don't rub. Other tube shock setups might be different though.

I've heard of some one running 220 or 225's without problems. I think it was some one here but I 'm not sure.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Frank, I saw that you have one lock per wheel, i said 4 lock nuts per wheel. LOL
Glad you had good weather. It's been one of the driest ever. Usually it rains about every other week in the summer around vancouver. There is a reason why it is usually green here. Hope you didn't have too much smoke from the forrest fires.
R

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
Frank-

Very nice looking wheels.

Do the wheels shown in your photo have the "polished" edges?

Also, I see that you have a spinner mounted along with the lug nuts. Can you get these wheels with the the center hole for the spinner mount without the wheel stud holes drilled?

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
One more thing, I have a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Exalto 195/65R-15 tires that have never been mounted.

I would like to use a wider tire now and will be selling the Michelin's if anyone is interested. I'll post them in the classified section.

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for all the help.

I have BF Goodrich Radial T/As on order, 215/70, will report back here and on wiki with results.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Tabcon said:
Frank-

Very nice looking wheels.

Do the wheels shown in your photo have the "polished" edges?

Also, I see that you have a spinner mounted along with the lug nuts. Can you get these wheels with the the center hole for the spinner mount without the wheel stud holes drilled?

Tab:

First of all, you need to know that American Racing hasn't made these wheels since 1972. They were available on TR4, 4A and 250, through all North American dealers. I don't know if they were sold outside of North America.

Yes, you have to keep the rims polished or they would eventually look like the spokes. Magnesium oxidizes in the presence of water.

My wheels came off of a wrecked TR4 which I had to buy to get the wheels. I paid $600 for it in 1979. I then parted out the car and made about $1000 total.

I believe your question is, were these wheels sold with a splined hub so that they can be fitted like a knock-on wire wheel. Is that right? The answer is no. At least American racing didn't offer this type of wheel.

There are other alloy wheels being sold now that have knock-on/off hubs. Knock-on Alloy Wheels

Best regards,

Frank

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Frank.

I'm not sure if I'm going to use the knock off's or not yet. I'd like to since I have the spline mounts and brand new spinners, but the last set I bought from Superlite didn't fit. The offset was way to large and my car looked like some type of "Hot Wheels" model.

I did find these made by Konig, they're not knockoff wheels, but they're not too shabby looking and the price is good. I just don't know anything about them and if you can use them for racing or not.

web.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tab,

I have that same wheels (16"X7") on my car, but in silver. I don't race it, but a call to Konig will answer that question.

Attachments

• 18152.jpg
    18152.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,167
  • 18153.jpg
    18153.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,247

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tab,

I have Falken 205/60/16". It is lots of fun to drive in the curves now. It was good with the Goodyear 205/70/15 tires, but these with the 7" wide wheel make a big difference.