• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Yippie... it's a ROAD TRIP!

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
3 days and counting. The Jag is prepped, safety checked and clean - like a racehorse champing at the bit, she's ready for who knows what. I've assembled my emergency road kit, tools, spares, etc. But she is a 36 year old British car, so....

My goal is to eat 300 miles a day (bad back) without touching an Interstate Hwy. We'll go top down only. No fast food and no reservations - anywhere. No computers, phone calls (cell for emergencies only), office issues, politics and no television. I haven't any deadlines at all. Just me, my new Sony Discman and an agreement in 3 days time to meet my best friend from high school in Portland. From there, we'll head East (maybe) and eventually South (for sure) with an estimated return to SF in a week or 10 days.

I've assembled my emergency road kit, tools, spares, etc. But she is a 36 year old girl, so who knows. My buddy Geoff and I did this half a dozen times as young dumb studs but school, Vietnam, work, marriage, kids and life has gotten in the way of a life-long friendship.

Wish me luck, sunshine and a fair wind at my back.........Yippie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Randy '68 OTS

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drive on brother! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jon12

Jedi Hopeful
Sounds like a great time, good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
This sounds like a great story. Tell us more about the 36 year old Jag that is taking you on this trek. Maby we can recommend some spares. Good luck and keep up the faith.

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Randy,

We're all just jealous. Your heading out on an undefined road trip in a '68 OTS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Woo-Haa, Anyway with a cell phone, as long as your Triple A is up to date...You got everything you need for a GREAT trip. Well... as long as the sun shines. I will wish you only the very best sunshine, where ever your trip takes you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Enjoy, and do some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif for me too.

Mike

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Randy,

We're all just jealous. Your heading out on an undefined road trip in a '68 OTS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Woo-Haa, Anyway with a cell phone, as long as your Triple A is up to date...You got everything you need for a GREAT trip. Well... as long as the sun shines. I will wish you only the very best sunshine, where ever your trip takes you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Enjoy, and do some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif for me too.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif A wholehearted endorsement of the above post from me too........and since we will be living vicariously through you, it would be nice if you keep a log and give us a blow-by-blow account of the trip when you get back. That would be fun to read.

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Yep - digital camera in hand. I'll post the pics along with commentary when I get back. Thanks all for the support and words of encouragement.
Randy

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Sounds like great fun! Be sure to fill us in once you get back! The best road trip I ever took in my 67 EType was when we moved from Colrado to Mississippi and I drove the E the whole way. What a great experience! If ever a car was made for open road driving, the E is it!

Basil

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
The road trip was everything I hoped it would be. The Jag cooperated and I was only pulled over twice in 1,400 miles. The first time by a friendly CHP to inform me of a forest fire 5 miles up the road. He suggested I put the top up to avoid asphyxiation. I passed on the suggestion and did just fine through the smoke. Turned out to be a big fire but no significant damage to life or property. The 2nd time I was pulled over was the next morning just outside of Grants Pass Oregon. The trooper felt that I should have had a front license plate installed. I explained that I carried the front plate in the trunk but had no way of affixing it to the hood on a temporary basis. He bought the story and let me go with a warning. Other than those two times, the cops left me alone and we had a blast through the mountains and the Oregon and Northern California coastline. If you would like to see a few pics of the trip you can go here: www.cooperguitars.com click on the '68 XKE link and scroll down to the road trip.
Now if I can only figure out why my freshly rebuilt engine drank 6 quarts of oil in 1,400 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Best
Randy

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy ,Just a thought were you using Synthetic oil???-Keoke

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Great pictures Randy. I really liked the one of the rugged Oregon coast line. I was able to enlarge that one, but none of the others could be enlarged by clicking on them?
Sounds like you had a great trip.

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Randy,

I was jealous when you said you were going... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif You didn't have to post pictures and rub it in./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looked like great fun. I need to find the time to do the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Mike

jarrod

Freshman Member
your roadtrip picture is great and should be published somewhere in a magazine. I think that it's cool that you took the old girl on a long lovely stroll and i know you had fun!!!

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Thanks!
Actually, we're planning anothere trip before Winter sets in. San Francisco to Mexico border - Pacific Coast Highway all the way. Hope to do this in a couple of weeks. Then I really can tuck the old girl in for a rest. Next Summer, it's SF to Vancouver, again, Pacific Coast Highway. We will have covered Canada to Mexico, all coastal road.
Randy '68 OTS, '66 BJ8

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
me too! been there done that; I bought a 1965 3.8 S type in San Francisco, (my second Jaguar), flew to Oakland to get it, got in the car after inspecting it, drove it 2,619 miles and 4½ days through Hwy. 101 South to I-40 East to Tennessee almost non-stop, resting at rest stops except one night when I stayed at a hotel in New Mexico to get a hot shower and a good night's sleep. All I can say is, it brought me home without breaking down. The only problem was a flat tire in Texas, when I realized there was no THOR hammer in the trunk/boot! but some cowboys/ranchers stopped and they had a "Convincer" sledge hamnmer, which carefully convinced the knock-off to rotate, and I was on my way to the next exit where a Goodyear store fixed the flat. Somehow the seller of the car knew of the possibility of a flat, since there was a new spare Tube in the trunk, which was used for the repair.The Goodyear store even had a Brass hammer! (sorry, no leather hammer). After repairing the tire, they would not charge me for the work. I pulled $10. and tried to tip them, they would not take the money either. "Have a Safe Trip to Tennessee" they said, all the employees standing around the "old Jag" telling me to "fire it up". Life is good. And Texas too. By the way, I did stop at XK's Unlimited in San Luis Obispo where I bought their nylon steering column bushes which I installed when I got home.