• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It LIves!! Bwahahahaha

DonP

Country flag
I know this won't be big news to you other "old guy" TR fans out there, but it shocked the heck out of my son.

My '62 TR3B had the clutch go out and got parked in my garage waiting for me to put in a replacement clutch over the winter - the winter of 1992 that is.

That was the winter the wife, after 23 years, decided to "find herself " and trundled off leaving me with three kids and a house to take care of. Fixing the TR was kind of low on the priority list as you might imagine. Over the years stuff piled up on the old beastie, (as it does on any horizontal surface in a garage).

Fast forward to Summer 2004. Last weekend, for no special reason, I started the archaelogical dig and lo and behold I discovered a TR-3 buried under layers of sediment in the garage.

After digging it out and replacing the battery (thanks for all the advice guys) I put in some fresh fuel, drizzled a couple of quarts of good fresh oil on the rocker arms and tried to clean out most of the spiders under the bonnet.

I also pulled the plugs sprayed some Liquid Wrench in each cylinder and hand cranked it a few times to make sure nothing serious was stuck or broken. I hooked up the new battery and pumped a couple of quarts of very ugly gas from the bottom of the fuel tank. Of course I also checked the points to make sure they were clear and not stuck.

Yesterday (Sunday) my son stopped over just as I was ready to give it a try. He was really laughing it up at the idea of the car ever running again. (Oh ye of little faith!).

A little fresh gas in each of the newly cleaned float bowls to prime the pump so to speak and one small shot of starter fluid in each SU and she started on the second or third turn.

Mucho smoke and spiders spraying out the exhaust system. My son was amazed beyond belief. (Darn, I should have bet him I could have started it with the hand crank and picked up some easy money).

Now he's impressed at the durability factor and is all excited at working on the '66 Midget he has (Yes, indeed a lesser car, but still more noble than a mini van).

We're going to the British Car Fest here in Chicago at Moraine Valley College in two weeks and I think it's time I started looking for a hard top.

Good to be back in the game again. I'm looking forward to next Spring on the road with a rebuilt engine, new clutch and maybe even a re-spray.

Don P.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking forward to next Spring on the road with a rebuilt engine, new clutch and maybe even a re-spray.

Don P.

[/ QUOTE ]

That re-spray - Is that to get the rest of the spiders? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Great story! Welcome back to the world of LBC's, and welcome to the Forum. Keep us posted on your progress, and I'll celebrate your success with a drive in my TR3 this afternoon!

Mickey

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Way to go Don - The Brits knew how to build em' - another testament to the fact that they're great little cars.
But there is one more thing I was wondering about: Did your Ex ever find herself? and if so, where was she when she stumbeled across her?

Best of luck to you, your son, and the spiders!

Bob M.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Great story and welcome. What a great feeling you must have.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
In the famous words of Billy Crystal "It was only mostly dead" Did something similar with my ol' 62 bug that had lain unused for 8+ years.
Welcome back to the fun!

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Nothing like a Triumph rumbling to life to make you feel rejuvinated! Make sure the next companion like driving topless ... er ... ah top down - drop head.

TR3cubka

congrats! im glad it runs for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I had a similar experience once with my 47 packard. It sat in a nevada field for close to 25 (yes 25) years. rust isnt a problem here thank god. Anyway, these old packards are beasts, so we decided to see if we could start it since they weigh so much. A battery, some gas,a little oil and she fired up. None of us could believe it. We were just hoping the starter would hold out long enough to get it to the trailer but we were able to drive it on!

They just dont build them like they used to, you know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Enjoy your "new" LBC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
its good to hear your 3 started up with no major problems. Happy motoring, and enjoy the ride (and the tinkering).

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR-3s rule

My old 3A was tough as nails. I couldn't kill it despite all my stupidity. Now, though I'm much older and wiser, the 3 is long gone. You can thank the tractor origins of the engine for its toughness. I lot of people will criticise the engine for its beginnings, but aren't you glad. I just wish I could find another 3 I could afford.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Re: TR-3s rule

Welcome back!!!

There's nothing like the feeling of getting a car started after a long period of storage. It's like winning the lottery.

If owning a TR3 isn't fun enough, sharing the fun with your kids makes it even better!

Cheers,
Sam

OP
D

DonP

Country flag

"... sharing the fun with your kids makes it even better!"

The proper role of your children is to humiliate you at unexpected opportunities.

Years ago, when my son was about 14 or so (and already knew everything), he and I were riding in the TR one afternoon and stopped at a light.

A convertible full of young girls, all somewhere between 17 and 22 years old pulled up next to us and started asking all kinds of questions about the car and how old it was. As the light changed the girls all said how "cool" the TR was.

Through the whole incident my son, a normal 14 year old, was struck totally mute by attractive young women talking directly to him. When we arrived at my parents house he ran in and told my Mom and Dad that; "Wow a bunch of really cute girls thought the TR-3 was a really cool car ... even with Dad driving it".

Ah, is anything more effective at bursting your self-image bubble than the sharp tongue of your own child?

Of course now he has his own MG, and his own kids to belittle him, so the circle of life is complete.

Besides, my 5 year old Grandaughter thinks the TR is cool, so there!

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight

My quote is "Old Triumphs Never Die, They just leak more oil" I even have it printed on some book markers and such. Its as true now as it was in 69 when it came to me near the end of a beer soaked night!
MD(mad dog)

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
I don't usually allow myself too much excitement, but made an exception for you DonP. Nothing quite compares to the thrill of that glorious chaos of an engine firing up that really shouldn't be. To the uninitiated, it's not something you can easily explain. BUT...when the uninitiated is your skeptical know-it-all son, well, it just doesn't get any better than that, especially when the son becomes "one of us"
Congratulations!

DonPete3

Alright folks...both of these stories are 100% true.

Thanks to to my old man, and those girls in that car (man they were hot) I have inherited the British car fascination.

God help us all.

DonPete3 (aka DonP's son)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Apparently the son has also become one of us here on the forum. Welcome aboard Don Pete the third? Hope you and your dad enjoy the forum and though you own a much lesser car than your father does may you still have fun with it and someday graduate to Triumphs.