• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

re-chrome price

griff

I sent my windshield frame and Stanchions for a re-chrome estimate and wanted input from the gang on what you may have paid in the last few years for either or both.

A quick answer would be greatly appreciated as I expect a call from them tomorrow.

The Stanchions definately need it and although I can probably get by with the frame, I am afraid it will pale beside newly chromed stanchions.

Please share.

Griff

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I say $650 to $850!

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't know the TR3 that well, but I paid $1500 for all the bright work on my BE Sprite. All parts were in good shape with a minimum of rework required. Parts turned out magnificant. From what I have heard, this is pair for the coarse.
Scott in CA

OP
G

griff

Thanks Guys,

I will post the estimate this evening when I get home.

FYI I saw another post that said the wait time was really long and at this shop in Fayetteville NC it is still in only weeks. I took a couple of parts to them about a year ago and got them back in 4 weeks.

Later
Griff

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Griff, my stanchions were $150 and the two piece surround (frame) was $350. This shop is in Knoxville, TN and they did show quality chrome.

Cheers, Tinkerman

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Can't help you there but i will say that really good chrome lasts. Cheap chrome does not. It may look good when you first get it (the cheap stuff) but beware down the road. You might want to look into what is underneath the chrome. How thick is the copper layer and other layers under the chrome layer etc. Do they give a guarantee? how long?
R

OP
G

griff

The price ended up being $700 for stanchions and frame. I would like the contact info on the knoxville place for next time though.

Thanks,

Griff

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Griff; What kind of price were you expecting, I priced stanchions, frame and a couple of small items were about $900. a couple of years ago.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
If you want to get chrome work done on the cheap , you must work like a dog yourself. The first thing is to get all the old chrome stripped off in a chemical bath(the chromer does this) Then you take it home for many hours of fun, polishing out the imperfections with increasingly fine sand paper/dremel ect. When the metal looks like it needs just a clear coat to shine like a diamond, its ready for the chromer to dip at a very reasonable price.Look for a shop that does industrial chrome work. Things I prep up myself come back in 48hrs......
MD(mad dog)

OP
G

griff

I was anticipating about what Tinkerman noted above($500) My pieces had no dents/dings, very few scratches (none deep). The main issue was the chrome on the stanchions was down to flaky powdery residue in spots. In fact I may could have polished out the frame pretty nice but I was concerned that the Stanchions which badly needed chrome would look so good they would highlight the fact that I didn/t do the rest.

At any rate, I gave them the go ahead.

I am still searching for a temp gauge if anyone wants to part with one. Nisonger told me mine was not rebuildable due to broken needle??

Later

Griff

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Griff,

You may want to contact Erik at Her Majesty's Service in Swansea, MA. I think that he had several temp gauges for TR3's. I have no financial interest.

Her Majetsy's Service

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Griff, I just sent you a PM.

Tinkerman

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I recently did my TR3 side stantions and windshield frame for around $750. Quite pricey, I thought, but they turned out great. I'm thankful the British cars of this era had much less chrome then their US counterparts; I'd imagine a rechrome job for a grill from a 54 Buick Roadmaster would bankrupt the common man.

OP
G

griff

I got my chrome windshield pieces back and they are beautiful with one very minor exception and I want advice on it. On one of the two stanchions there is a very very tiny nub (about the size of a small/thin pencil point.

Is there anything I can do without risking the piece or should I ship it back and ask them to take care of it? (What a pain)

I am not sure that one would notice it by sight but if you run you fingernail softly by it will catch. My main concern is - does this make it more apt to be a bigger issue later.

All opinions welcome.

PS: I actually had my first couple of test runs (no windshield doors or fenders). LOVED IT Only issue was a loss of a little brk fluid from loose fitting. Boy 50 mph w/ut the doors and windshield is a bit un-nerving!

Griff

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Griff who did the chrome work? If Knox Custom Chrome did it I know they will fix it. If so send me a PM and I will talk to you about it because I have a bit of a problem also. The plating on my valve cover is so thick that I can't get the oil cap on.

Anyhow let me know.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
As far as the bigger issue later on it could be, depending on what caused the bump. My feeling is to take care of it now when the plater should warrent it, then having to have done all over again and it would cost you.

Tinkerman

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It's hard finding reasonably priced chrome replating services here in the SF Bay Area. Does anyone know of a good shop that will accept and return parts by shipping?

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I rather suspect that the shop I used would do that. I might add that you really get what you pay for in the re-plating area. Good plating is expensive. If you would like, I would be happy to call them and find out about the shipping for you. By the way I have no financial interest in their business, they just did a good job for me.
PM me if you wish to go forward with it.
Tinkerman