• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

150 CD stromberg spraying gas HELP

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I have a 1970 GT6 with dual cd strombergs. I broke down the other day and wouldn't run right. I figured it was a carb issue. When I took the filter cover off the one carb was spraying gas out a hole on the right hand side at about 2 oclock. I rebuilt the carbs and found a diapham ribbed in this carb. I put them back on and the car started and ran fine for a couple of minutes and then the gas started to spray again out of the same carb. If I stick my finger over it the car still runs fine and no gas spray.

So what is it. Did I not get the float set right or what. Everything else looks ok and the only thing I can guess is that the float has something to do with this. It this a pressure release area if to much gas gets in the bowl. Help. The other carb is working great.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Where exactely on the carb is the hole? Is it low on the body near the bowl, and opposite the fuel line? Or is it higher on the body and towards the rear? Also if it runs fine while you have it plugged with your finger, I'd say just try making a plug and putting it in the hole.

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
The hole is were the air cleaners mount at about 2 oclock. Just up from the stop that you mount the air cleaner can on to the carb.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Really? That is bizare, I can't even think of a fuel passage along the front of the carb. I don't have a 150 handy so I can't take a peak at it, but what I would do if it were me is plug the hole and go on with my day. I'll try to get a 150 body today and see where the gas could posssibly be coming from.

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Tom.
I think I may have ahd the same prob on the Sports 6, If memory serve's It's a stuck float, I had crud holding my float valve open, Just to see if I am talking about the same area, It is the large hole to bolt the AF onto...Right?
Good luck

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
The large hole is at about 3 oclock that you mount the air cleaner canister into. This one is at about 2. I am pretty sure it is a float issue. I wanted to work on it last night but my 16 year old son needed help with the stereo in his car. He took out the old one and put in a new one and had the ground wire hooked to the illumination light wire so everytime he turned on the lights the radio went out and he would soon blow a fuse. Took about 2 hours to track down what wire was what. I hate electric issues. I hope tonight to look at this , I think I don't have the float adjusted right. Thanks for all the help. Tom

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Just to close this out I wanted to let you know what was the issue.
The float it has a small hole in it and would fill with gas. So it would never rise to turn off the gas flow and the extra gas then gets pushed out this hole. It is just a float issue in reality. Thank you all for the help. I learned alot about the 150 CD. It is funny they only made this one for the 1970 GT6. Why they don't change numbers on them I don't know but this one has a few differances then the other types. Have a good day all. Tom