• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Right-hand-drive popular again?

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Lately up here in Canada I'm starting to see a lot of RHD cars but from a different source... Japan!

It's becoming fairly common to see a 1987-era Toyota Land Cruiser with RHD, I believe it's the BJ71 series, I've seen at least six of them motoring around Calgary since moving back.

And today I saw a RHD Mazda RX-7 (second series), it had a different badge on the back and the bodyshell was highly modified, I suspect the engine was also suitably modified...

I'm not sure if you'd see as many late model Japanese RHD cars as up here in Canada compared to the United States as any cars older than 15 years can be imported into the country from anywhere in the world, whereas in the United States it's 25 years.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I drove a RHD Elan in Alaska for a prettl good while. It was no problem in town, but on the highway, with all the main highways in the state being 2 lane except for Anchorage to Wasilla and Fairbanks to Eilson pretty much, it was a bit of a pain while passing. Veer to the right to try to peek around the car ahead, or you are fully in the oncomming lane before you can see if it is clear. That can be dicey, and not worth the conversational value of RHD. Of course with a passenger to look for you, it was pretty OK.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm pretty sure this is true:

For many years (at least up to the 50s), Sweden drove on the LEFT side (like UK) but most of the cars had steering wheels on the left (like US). This was due to the fact that the road-shoulders were very rough and it was important for the driver to be able to see them clearly. Passing was no big deal, since there were so few cars.
(EDIT: I edited the above statement after I realized that I had mixed up right/left and UK/US....duh!)

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Right hand drive seems romantic enough and nice if you're in control of the vehicle, but if you have to ride with somebody else in control it's a different story -When my wife and I cruised to the Bahamas years ago we needed to take a taxi from the dock where the cruise ship anchored to the motel - Talk about a "White Knuckled Ride" - Enough to make you sweat!

And here in the US - I don't know how the drivers in anybody else's state are but here in NC they'd be wrecking at every twist and turn for gawking at a right hand drive auto - they're really rare and not often seen here!

Bob M.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Apparently its a bit of a trend with those how like modified Civics and such. Everything Japanese Domestic Market or JDM is somehow better and cool. Including RHD. So some people are converted their cars this way! Of course a lot of it is low mileage imports from Japan. Lots out in BC - they seem to be able to ignore the 15 year old rule there somehow too.

My Scimitar is RHD but I've yet to drive (long way off) but its looks reasonable enough to convert to LHD with TR6 steering rack.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Sweden used to drive on the left side of the road up until 1967, now they drive on the wrong side of the road, i.e. the right. Britain is now the only country in Europe still driving on the left. Of course, the Australians and Japanese continue to exhibit good sense in doing the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

catfood

Jedi Knight
Reminds me of the old Joke...

The (***insert suitable country stereotype**) are about to start driving on the left starting with the lorries...., the cars will be moved over next week!

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll bet you see a righty everyday and just don't realize it. Almost all mail trucks in the US are right hand drive. Driving them really isn't that hard.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I've got a RHD '61 Midget I'll have to dig out and start driving, the next time I get to California. I drove a RHD Bugeye when I lived in Tucson, and it was a major pain around town. However, it was a blast on the Interstate when you were following a truck and eased into the left lane to pass. The trucker would look in his mirror and see no one in the "drivers seat"! I actually thought about installing a dummy steering wheel on the left, but decided that may get me some unwanted attention from the local constabulary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
As far as the rice burner crowd thinking RHD is cool, I think that in their case it would be scary, as most of these clowns I see can't master driving LHD yet!! Not to mention thet the stereo controls may be harder to reach, (particularlly the volume) and we all know how important that is to them.

Jeff

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
RHD may be a pain, but I'd love to bring in a Type R Accord.

I thought about making my Elan RHD, even have the dash and steering rack just not the pedal box. I guess I just wasn't that sure how i would like it.

A guy up in the interior of BC is selling a RHD Anglia wagon for $600.00. That might be fun!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Not sure if it is still the case but there was a time when more people drove right hand drive cars then left.

I also remember reading about Henry Ford and I don't recall why he did it, but changed his cars to left hand drive. Otherwise we would all probably be driving right hand.

Bruce

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Interesting topic. Since I just bought a pair of right hand drive Daimlers, I guess I'm going to find out what its like to drive from "the passenger seat".

Can anyone relate what its like the first time? What should I watch for and how can I be sure I'm not crossingh over the center line? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's really not that hard. Instead of looking at the road centerline (yellow line) to keep your car straight, look at the outer edge marker (white line). I deliver the mail in a right hand drive truck everyday, so I don't even think about it being backwards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
First thing you will notice is how strange it is to shift with your left hand. Next you will notice that you tend to drive in the middle of the road because when you're to the right, it feels like you're going to hit every parked car. Driving a canyon road will give the impression you're about to fly off the road. Eventually it becomes completely natural despite driving RHD on the right side of the road.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
I deliver the mail in a right hand drive truck everyday, so I don't even think about it being backwards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so THATS where your forum name comes from! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
First thing you will notice is how strange it is to shift with your left hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That won't be a problem since these are "Pre selector" gearboxes. There is a pre-select shifter on the column like an automatic, then you mash a pedal to change gears. Very odd, but sounds like fun.

Basil

Bugeye58

Yoda
Basil, it will be a lot easier to drive the RHD Daimler here, than it was for me to drive a LHD Chevy Impala through the streets of London! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Basil, it will be a lot easier to drive the RHD Daimler here, than it was for me to drive a LHD Chevy Impala through the streets of London! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years back there was a lady from England here who went to cross a busy street and looked the wrong way...you can guess what happened.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I deliver the mail in a right hand drive truck everyday, so I don't even think about it being backwards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so THATS where your forum name comes from! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said it was very original /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif