• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radiator Hose Clamps

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As far as function, I think the modern ones are easier to use and, in particular, easier to remove & re-use. If you're not worried about demerits at the Concours, I think they are a better choice.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree:
FWIW, all modern clamps are not created equal. Some of the ones advertising "stainless steel" have only the band made of stainless, the screw and/or housing are coated steel. I like to search out the kind that are all stainless, so the screw can't rust and bind (get mine from MMC).

Also note that the modern clamps are capable of generating very high forces, which can damage the hose and shorten it's life. In general, they don't need to be very tight to hold and seal. If the hose material is bulging through the slots, the clamp is too tight.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Iv'e never had any problems with the original type

removing them and reinstalling them has never been an issue'

alt.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I also use the wire clamps just because I prefer the orignal look. Never had a serious problem getting them to seal. Never cared much for the 'cheese-grater' clamps.

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
Stamped steel hose clamps using a worm drive to tighten them are the worse imo. The thread pitch of the worm is far too agressive to tighten well, and they strip out the flat steel band easily.

The oem wire types using a fine thread screw into a nut allow far tighter tightening, and do not strip out. I like them.

Then there are the spring wire types used on many modern cars. Just squeeze the ears to release. They work well, but since I can't control how tight they are, I've never been terribly comfortable with them. But they do work fine.

There are some plastic ones on the market. Interesting with their zip-tie like claming. I like the ability to control the clamping force with a pair of pliers. Bit tricky on getting everything square when installing them.

OP
J

joejoecat

The reason I ask is that I just replaced a radiator and all the hoses. I can't get the top radiator hose to stop dripping with the worm type clamp.Tr4 by the way.

PeterK

Yoda
joejoecat said:
The reason I ask is that I just replaced a radiator and all the hoses. I can't get the top radiator hose to stop dripping with the worm type clamp.Tr4 by the way.

Just a thought. But did you remove the thermostat and replace the inlet upside down? If you did, the hose angle is incorrect and it will fit but it will also leak. btdt.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Something else wrong then, IMO. Any of the clamp types should work plenty well enough to seal.

You certainly wouldn't be the first to find defective new parts.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I'd check for corrosion/grunge around the inlet pipe - you can get leaks if it isn't smooth, no matter how much you tighten.