• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vacuum Pipe Adapter - HELP !!

G

Hello Folks,

On my TCF-series TR3B, I have to install a vacuum pipe assembly from the spark advance to the intake manifold.

Standard-Triumph never heard of the assembly, so neither does The Roadster Factory. I was able to find FOUR vacuum pipes at Moss, with TWO adapters that fit into the intake manifold under the front carb. There are two adapters, one for the TR2 and one for the TR3. I ordered a pipe and the TR3 adapter.

Well, the threads on the adapter are wrong on BOTH ends; i.e., they do not fit the manifold and do not fit the female fitting on the pipe. So, I will return the TR3 adapter and try the TR2 adapter. I am not too optimistic.

So, here is my question to you. If the TR2 adapter will also not fit, SHOULD I RETURN THE ADAPTER <span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> THE PIPE, OR KEEP THE PIPE BECAUSE ONE OF YOU KNOWS OF A WAY TO ADAPT THE PIPE TO THE MANIFOLD?

I am desperate enough on this that I have contacted the previous owner, to see if he, by ANY chance, kept the adapter that he took out of the manifold when he removed the vacuum pipe assembly.

Your expert advice is appreciated,

George

alfa33047

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I took the Webers off my TR-3 last week and had the same problem. I went down to my local NAPA store and bought 4 feet of 1/8th copper tubing and the ferral fittings for both ends and the adaptor for the intake, I already had the distributor side adaptor. I do not know the size as I took one in that had been removed with a pair of pliers and the corners were destroyed. I put SUs back on my motor. Try NAPA. good luck, Bill C, Mesa, Az.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, first problem is that the pipe does not run to the manifold. The advance unit is not supposed to get manifold vacuum, but instead 'ported' vacuum that is not present when the throttles are closed. The union should screw into threads in the bottom of the front carb. If you have an opening in the manifold, it's for something else (or most likely originally unused).

I believe all H6 carbs take the same union, Stanpart 108364, which TRF has crossed to SUAUC4490. It's a 'special', as the threads are not SAE (and it takes a Whitworth wrench).

There were two different lines, earlier cars have a threaded fitting at the vacuum advance while I believe your 3B should have a push-on fitting. The later line is Stanpart 509167. Both the line & the union are listed on the H6 carburettor page of the SPC.

As Bill notes, you can use standard 1/8" copper line & ferrules. But you'll still need the nut that holds the line to the union, and the union itself. The nut is also special I believe, and AFAIK only comes with the proper line.

OP
G

Randall is correct. Is my face red. :wall:

I took a long, hard look under my front carb. Sho' nuff, there was a copper "stump" coming out of the carb which had been flattened and bent 90 degrees. I was ecstatic for a moment. Then I tried both the adapter and pipe fitting from Moss. Neither fit: one too small, one too big. :devilgrin:

So, back on with the stump. Some day, I might consider it again, but now I am looking at door pockets, a hood stick cover, and a spare wheel and tire.

Thanks again, guys. "When you care enough to send the very best." :bow: