• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 Mk 111

D

DougF

I was just informed of a GT6 that has been sitting in a barn for 17 years. Rusted battery box and weak floors. Don't know if the engine turns. Don't know anything else about the car. Might give it a look.
I've always been intrigued by the GT6, but something about a fixed top has kept me away. But the price could be right.
Any info or driving experiences would be welcome.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
For me, it would depend on how damp or wet that garage was. There could be frame damage along with the other rust.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Depending on price, if engine and bonnet look ok consider grabbing it anyway - even if you can't bring it back to a GT6, you'd have a great basis for a Spit6.

OP
D

DougF

I would only consider the car if it has minor problems. I have enough to do between my TR3 and Healey to keep me busy for years to come.
It would definitely need hydraulics and probably some electrical and suspension work. I'll have to look at it to get a better idea.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
As to your question about having a fixed top - I think coupes are great. Very different driving experience and often more solid for having the extra metal. I've given up on finding a good GT6 at a price I can afford, but I dearly loved mt BGT and bought a 122s as a slightly bigger replacement.

The GT6s that I have driven were pretty addicting!

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Well, between the spitfire, herald and the GT6 I would say the GT6 is the most fun to drive. It has more power, and to me drives better. But than again I was telling someone the other day I always felt like an old man trying to recapture my youth when driving the spitfire and gt6. When I drive the herald it seems to fit me. Old, slow and broken down.

If you get a chance to get a gt6 I would say go for it. Even if it isn't a frame off fix just get it so you can have fun with it. The experience of driving one is hard to describe but either you will love it or hate it. My now 21 year old son love the GT6. He drove it since he was 16.

OP
D

DougF

Spoke to a gentleman this evening, not the owner but somebody who has seen the car. The engine turns, but the car moves only on wheel dollies...brakes, clutch or both. He told me he was surprised at the condition of the of it. There is still 17 years of barn dirt on it. The body appeared to be solid. The carpets are faded, but the interior otherwise looked pretty good. Seals probably need replaced. The car drove when parked.
I'll be going to look at it asap, when schedules permit.
It's a '73, white/black. No idea on the miles.
It's sounding a little more interesting.

mikecyc72usa

Jedi Trainee
I've had several GT6s of all models. I love the GT6+, but the MKIII is right up there. Both of those handle great, just a bit better than the MKI, and my 1970 was my daily driver in Indianapolis in the 90's for years. I'm trying to find another. Missed a near perfect one in Houston a few months ago for cheap. Oh well...

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
mikecyc72usa said:
Missed a near perfect one in Houston a few months ago for cheap.

You talking about the GT6+ that showed up on Craigslist? I was drooling over it for a couple of days until it disappeared. It looked nice, I was hoping it stayed local.

OP
D

DougF

I don't think this is the same car. I got the impression it hasn't been advertised yet. I won't get to see the car for at least a week.
I have a number of images going through my head. I'm hoping that bat guano hasn't eaten a lot of the paint away.
It's fun and giving me something to look forward to.

OP
D

DougF

I'm finally going to have an opportunity to look at the car this weekend. I've learned that it has actually sat for 30 years. It's last state inspection was 1978. The body is solid except for a hole in the battery box. The gentleman has a garage lift, so an overall inspection will be no problem.
The engine turns by hand and has 74,000 miles on it. The diff leaks...don't they all?
Sounds like a good winter project. The TR3 may have to wait.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
tomgt6 said:
Well, between the spitfire, herald and the GT6 I would say the GT6 is the most fun to drive. It has more power, and to me drives better. But than again I was telling someone the other day I always felt like an old man trying to recapture my youth when driving the spitfire and gt6. When I drive the herald it seems to fit me. Old, slow and broken down.
I know what you're saying, Tom, and I can't really say I disagree <span style="font-style: italic">per se</span>. For me, though, it's more like -- having owned, driven and enjoyed all three (along with some other stuff) -- they all equally suit different moods for me. My GT6s were a bit like "guilty pleasure" cars (power, style, and about as close as I'll ever get to a true GT style of car such as an Aston Martin or E-Type Jaguar), Spitfires were always like comfortable sneakers, and Heralds just exude charm.

This particular GT6 might just have the potential to be THE STEAL of a lifetime. Hopefully it's barn storage was fairly dry, though, particularly involving the underside. I have one early Herald (1961 but first titled near the end of 1962) convertible with under 60,000 miles on it and mostly original -- and pretty respectable -- paint and interior. Problem was that it sat in a dirt floor garage from 1970 until I bought it in 2000. Oddly, the floors and body underside in general survived pretty well, but the chassis suffered mightily, as did pretty much anything resembling a steel line (brake, fuel). And the engine, distributor and carburetors are all (still) well and truly stuck. Oddly, though, the brakes were also all stuck to the drums when I first saw the car, but it took little more than the time it took in jacking up each corner to remove the drums, take out the shoes and put everything back together so the car would roll, which it then did very well.

Moral of the story: Damp storage can affect the strangest things!

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Go to Triumpspitfire.com Go to the photo pages and look at the '71 in Damson. Now, tell me, how could you resist?
I'm about to take ownership of a '71 with a MkI engine and gearbox. It has a severly rusted bottom end. So much so, in fact, I'm concidering removing the top, shock mounts and emergency brake cable guide and installing on a rust free Arizona Spit tub I have.
Also look at the production figures to see how rare this bird really is. I say go for it.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
..sorry, typo...triumphspitfire.com An invaluable resource.

OP
D

DougF

The gentleman said he is very negotiable. It's taking up space in his garage that he wants to use this winter, so it could be a real bargain.
Fortunately, it's about 20 miles from home.

OP
V

vagt6

Having restored a number of GT6s, some of which were basket cases, I'd like to offer a technique that may be very helpful before you buy. Chant the phrase, below, repeat it subconciously while you inspect one for purchase:

". . . patience is a <span style="font-style: italic">great</span> virtue when selecting a GT6 for purchase" (this phrase can be substituted for ALL LBCs, BTW, <span style="text-decoration: underline">especially</span> rusty ones).

Repeat it especially when you pull your wallet out to pay for the car. Because if it's really rusty, you're going to be pulling that wallet out a whoooooole lot more in the near future.

It took me more than a year to find the "right" LBC I last purchased. If you wait, you WILL find one (with minimal rust) that's in your budget range.

Wait, grasshopper. Wait. :yesnod:

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I waited about an hour before I found mine.

If you wanna get technical, you could say several years, but since I wasnt in the market for another car, wanted it, but couldnt, I didnt look.

OP
D

DougF

I went to look at the car this morning. It was much as expected but....
It really needs a full restoration. Sitting for 30 years has taken it's toll. It's basically a solid car needing some floor repair and a battery box. There are a number of question marks since it doesn't roll.
The owner isn't as negotiable as necessary. It's currently overpriced and wouldn't be feasible to get it back to roadworthy. I'm in no hurry.