• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other Craigslist Herald

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Stupid Craigslist addiction. $300, a 1000 miles of driving, and 19hrs of my day. Yep, spent my yesterday and part of today driving. All because of this,

100_4208.jpg

100_4211.jpg

Paid $150 for the car.

The good. The previous owner said it ran when he parked it in his barn 8-9 years ago. I figure the 1147 will be plan C for the MKI Spit. That is if it runs... Did I mention it came with a new-in-box top? The body is extremely rust free as well. It also came with the promise of a clear title.

The bad. The interior is completely missing. The distributor was removed a few years ago and it has been sitting open. It was inside, but the is visible crap in the motor. Although the tire have 0 miles on them and show no signs of rot, they're at least 20 years old.

I spent about $120 in gas and another $20 food so overall I think is was a pretty good deal. The funniest thing about this whole transaction was the car came from the town I live in right now. It was hauled 500 mile away to Lincoln, Nebraska only to sit in a barn for? Oh, the irony! Good night.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Nice find! Love the Heralds and in particular the convertable. Like the extra wing mirrors - very "Mod". Are you sure its not a 948cc? Thee handle on the bonnet was for only the earliest (948) Heralds.

Rob.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I am glad you saved it. I figured talking with you the other day would make you want to save it even more.

I talked with the wife about it and the look came out and I knew it was not to be.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
RobT said:
Nice find! Love the Heralds and in particular the convertable. Like the extra wing mirrors - very "Mod". Are you sure its not a 948cc? The handle on the bonnet was for only the earliest (948) Heralds.
Rob, the bonnet handle actually continued through the "948" series and onto the earliest of the 1200 series. It's hard to say, but I suspect that, in this case, either a previous owner liked it and added it or it's a replacement bonnet from a 948 or a very early 1200. The side-flasher lamps are about right, having been used from the late 948 series through to sometime in calendar year 1962.

And yes, wing mirrors are cool...if not terribly useful. They're also unusual for a US-spec. car...unless this happens to be yet another "Personal Export Delivery" Herald, in which case it might have been equipped with the mirrors from new, for use while in the UK?

Either way, this car is an early "Mk2" 1200, with the later, stronger chassis.

I don't know whether to feel proud, responsible or just plain guilty for helping two Forum members obtain Heralds in recent months. :devilgrin: But that's me...helping people save Triumph Heralds, one car at a time.... :angel:

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Andy,

So you are the one how my wife doesn't like. I hope you can run fast.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Amigo, you have it bad... glad you're still having fun.
Patrick

T

Tune_A_Fish

Good to see the car made it back to Colorado safely, I suspected you might post it here, I have looked here in the past to see what people are doing with these cars and never signed up.

I guess the tow hitch held fine with the recommended amount of bolts re-installed (you owe me a shirt) ha ha, You need to forward an address so I may send the title to you when I receive it from my brother, oh and by the way the GT6 2+2 I mentioned, I guess I still have it and its stored "in some barn" in Colorado, I may need to dig it out and see just what shape its in.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I still have it and its stored "in some barn" in Colorado, I may need to dig it out and see just what shape its in.[/QUOTE]

I've got a shovel. Thanx again for all your help and welcome to the BCF!

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Whooohoooo! It runs! It fired right up after a bit of the usual tweaking you do to a car parked long term. One of the tires died already, it split open in several of the grooves in the tread and went flat. Hehe, the car has been rolled less than 100' or so. Don't think I'll be driving on them, ever.
grin.gif

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Congrats.It is always good to get it running.