• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 TR250 Up-date, engine compartment painted

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
TR250 Update, engine compartment painted

I took the plunge and ordered some Signal Red paint, I thought about royal blue, always liked the color, but it started out life red, so will finish red.

Decided final fitting and fettling of rockers/A/B Pillars/ doors should be done with the motor in place, didn't want to put the motor in twice, so painted the engine compartment, including the new metal put in the hole that had mysteriously appeared where the battery goes,

I must be kind of a visual guy, because the shiny red paint is an inspiration, most all the major stuff is rebuilt or checked and OK'd including the motor, transmission, carbs, generator, alternator, most of the hydraulics except the brake booster.

My major projects, the seats, final paint prep, and the rear suspension and driveline, also have to build the adaptor to fit the J type O/D/

But at least things are coming along, as I said, the shiny paint makes me feel like I am getting things done.

enginecompleft.jpg

enginecompright.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Re: TR250 Update, engine compartment painted

Outstanding job! You are going to really appreciate it when everything gets bolted back in.

Randy

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

You will not regret doing it the right way.

Now for the hard part. You must give the paint enough time to cure and then cover everything painted with soft cloth or masking paper when you put things back in.

Is the body painted yet? If not, you will want to make sure that everything is sealed off underneath to prevent overspray from entering the engine compartment and spoiling that beautiful clear coat.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

Brosky, yes, have thought about both those things, body isn't painted yet, overspray will be an issue, as will getting it back together without scratching things up, am thinking of taping some towels to the inner wheel wells to keep them a little safer in the process.

There were times recently when I didn't think I would ever get it all done, still a long way to go, but the progress on the engine compartment is good for moral.

Would like to have it done before the snow flies, but I know next year is a much more realistic scenario.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Nice work! The engine compartment looks great.

What did you use to spray it with?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

DNK said:
tdskip said:
...What did you use to spray it with?

Paint Sprayer

Should have known that was coming Don, should have known...

Let me be more specific - did you use a conventional gun, Preval, or Turbine sprayer?

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

I assume you are asking about paint, standard HVLP gravity feed gun, paint is a single stage urethane enamel from the Autocolor Library Restoration Shop line of paints, it was much cheaper than the local body shop and they offered Signal Red, so thought I would give them a try and see what I thoughr of it by using it to spray the engines compartment.

I think the paint is fine, I had to add a little bit of extra reducer to get it to lay down as wet and smooth as I wanted it, but it was hot in the garage and I think a little beyond the reducers temp range.

The only thing I noticed I was surpristed it was still tacky to the touch for quite some time after painting, like 5-6 hours or more, thought maybe I mixed it wrong, but made up another batch and had the same result.

Was a little humid could some water moisture in the paint cause this, didn't create any problems, dried fine eventually, just took a little longer than has been my experience with other paints.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The only thing I noticed I was surprised it was still tacky to the touch for quite some time after painting, like 5-6 hours or more, thought maybe I mixed it wrong, but made up another batch and had the same result.[/QUOTE]

Remember what I said about the hardest part was coming up in letting it cure? The longer the better.

Now you can get started painting the engine to make it look good in it's newly remodeled home.

Or as some would say, you can begin to add the bling.......

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

Well Paul since you brought it up...it actually looks a lot better in the flesh than in the pic, the digital photos don't seem to compliment the black paint or the chrome very well. I covered it with the plastic trash bag while I was painting the engine compartment.

motor1.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Before you stick that motor in that nice compartment.
Ditch that oil canister and install a spin on.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

You know I read the spin on would be better for the anti return function, giving better oil pressure on start up, but the old filter and pump were still full of oil when I took them off the engine after sitting idle for months (and the crank didn't need anything but a polish after 90,000+ thousand miles) so the stock setup can't be too bad.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Just when you go to change the oil.

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Hi,

I noticed in your first picture that you were using newspaper for masking. You might want to be careful about that, because the ink in the newspaper can stain into the paint, and ruin your paint job. You can get proper making paper at your auto parts store or use brown craft paper (not sure which is cheaper). Plastic is ok as long as you don't put right up close to where you are painting, as the paint can run off the plastic to where you just painted.

cheers.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

As far as the spin on vs. cannister, I used to curse the cannister, but I have been changing oil on British cars with cannister filters for so long I have just kind of gotten used to it. As far as the newspaper, yes, I had heard that too, I used it to cover the windsield which will eventually have the glass replaced and get repainted, and the frame, which I wasn't too worried about, but appreciate the tip, and will upgrade to the right stuff when I paint the body, Greg