Thread: Wood Steering Wheel

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wood Steering Wheel

I would like to replace my ugly stock Spitfire Steering wheel with a really nice wood and chrome wheel. Problem is... I've looked and looked, and I have yet to find a nice (non-ebay) 13.5 inch wheel and adapter. I looked on Momo's site and all they have are the ultra-modern race look stuff. The color of my dash wood is in my signature.

I know some of you guys have one of what I'm looking for, so where did you get it, and how do you like it? Do they hold up well from cracks? Do they get hot in the sun more so than the stock black wheel?
    Pete - US Navy Retired!
    White 1980 Triumph Spitfire w/OD

THE LIST: Replace Furflex Door Seals (again)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Wood Steering Wheel

Pete-

Well, taking ebay out of the equation does limit things!

Unless you've changed out the steering column on your Spitfire, you might have a little harder time getting a boss, since the later Spitfires 79 onwards had a different spline setup. Moto Lita carries the boss for your car (B45) but they can be pricey. There is a UK-based Ebay retailer that sells Moto Lita at a pretty good discount - I've used him a couple of times with good results.

I was going to point you to this style MotoLita, but it only works for the earlier Spits:

Randy
    Randy
    70 TR6 - running
    59 TR3A - slumbering
    64 TR4 - got another one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Re: Wood Steering Wheel

There is a guy on this board, GB Lawson, (no relation to me) who professionally restores wooden steering wheels. You may want to send him a PM to see if he has recommendations for a 13.5" wheel and hub for the Spitfire.

Here's his web site:
    https://gblandco.com/

Our project Spit has a wooden rimmed wheel on it but it is in less than great shape from years of previous owners. I'm confident saying that it's at least 14.5" in diamter. While there probably are 13.5" wooden rimmed wheels I haven't personally seen one.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1