• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Interesting/Nice TR4 on the Bay

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Ebay TR 4 Number 160347441634 Nice car certainly.

No overriders, but seller has them to go with the car, other than being a nice looking car (no financial interest) it shows the original bill of sale and loan note on the car.

Price and options, sold August 19, 1965--seems to definitely be an original TR4 alright (not a 4A), but interesting that sold in August 65 it was sold as a 66 model, I know they could play more fast and loose with model years back then, but I thought they generally only marked it as a later year model if it was old stock they couldn't move, but who knows, maybe by August they were worried it would be labeled an "end of model year" car if they sold it as a '65 with people wanting to wait for the 66s or dicker down the price, so they painted '66 on the window with some bar soap and sold it that way.

Neat to see the original paperwork in any case.

tomshobby

Yoda
Probably have this wrong but I seem to remember something about American cars being registered with their vin number when they came off the assembly line. And foreign cars were not having their vin number registered until they were sold.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Nice pics, and interesting bill of sale. I'll be interested to see what this goes for. I have mixed thoughts on the car - pics look great, but what I see is a very clean but very definitely restored car - not original. Don't want to sound too negative on it, as it does look like a nice car. But if the intent is to make it 'the best in the world' as the ebay description starts out, I'd make sure the over-riders were installed. Also, the color is nice, but what was it originally?

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Not judging wherther or not everything was done correctly, but that is one nice looking 4.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
According to Piggott, the number makes it a '64.

newmexTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So clean! I can't imagine my car being that immaculate. I wonder what it'll sell for.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
It would never win a concours show. No <span style="font-style: italic">patina.</span> A friend restored his '67 to that level and trailed it to the VTR Nationals/Summer Party a few years back. Never even got an honorable mention. The judges' comment: No patina.

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
TR6BILL said:
It would never win a concours show. No <span style="font-style: italic">patina.</span> A friend restored his '67 to that level and trailed it to the VTR Nationals/Summer Party a few years back. Never even got an honorable mention. The judges' comment: No patina.

Well, congratulate your friend for me anyway. It is nice to hear folks are putting the time and effort into 4s and 4As.

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
A beautiful car, for sure. Interesting that it has the same temp gauge that tdskip was asking about in an earlier post.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR4nut said:
But if the intent is to make it 'the best in the world' as the ebay description starts out, I'd make sure the over-riders were installed.
Agreed! I'd also have made sure the entire commission number had been stamped on the obviously repro plate (they seem to have left off the last "L")!
TR4nut said:
Also, the color is nice, but what was it originally?
Cactus Green is a legitimate Triumph color of the period, but I don't think it was routinely used on TR4s or, for that matter, other Triumphs bound for the US.

I'd really like to have seen the car before the over-restoration; I've a feeling it wasn't really all that bad and it would have been almost as valuable and much more enjoyable as a car! :devilgrin:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
This is not the first time around eBay for that particular car. I think it sold last year or the year before in the low $20's. Or maybe it was pulled due to not meeting minimum reserve.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
TR6BILL said:

Bill: If this is an accurate story, IMO the judges had no basis for deducting points for " lack of patina". TRA and VTR have different judging standards, but I have never heard this explanation. Both organization have a similar philosophy that a "perfect" restoration (concours) would be a car that appeared as it did on the show room floor, but definately not a car that is over-restored. Doesn't VTR usually have a daily driver category? Is it possible that your friend had entered his car as a daily driver rather than concours?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I looked at the pics again, and I'd say this car is arguably better than the one that sold on Barrett Jackson a couple of years ago at a mind boggling price. So value-wise, I have no idea where this one can go - but maybe Barrett Jackson is a better venue for it to get top dollar?

V

vagt6

Wow, what a dreamy car!

Interesting to see what it goes for, OR, if the reserve is met. I'll be he's lookin' for a blue-sky price!

mikecyc72usa

Jedi Trainee
At the VTR South Central Regionals in Marble Falls, TX this past spring, the concours judges used the philosophy of "the King/Queen of England called Triumph, and ordered a car. The standard that car would be prepared to is what we are judging by." Patina was nowhere to be found. I have many pics from the event, as my friend and I were the official photographers. I can post the link if you like.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
WOW,
I don't care what any of you purists think, that is a great car! 99% of tr4's will never be as good as that one. Buy it and drive it. If i had known what i know now about tr4's when i bought my project car, I would buy that one in an instant if i had the cash (and it were a different colour).
Rob

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, I think that color works very well on the car, I'm surprised it wasn't used widely for TR4s - I think it would look good on a 3 as well.