• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Elf?

huck6

Jedi Trainee
I saw what looked like an Elf with a mini bonnet at the Dayton British Car Day. Was this a custom job or did they actually make such a car?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I belive that they actually produced such a vehicle, but only in South Africa.........it could easily be a custom job, but without checking the identification plate it is hard to be sure.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Steve,

You're referring to the Wolseley 1000, and there is one in the States that was privately imported in, I'm not sure where the owner lives though.

For clarification, the Wolseley 1000 was built with the Austin/Morris Mini saloon car body with the front clip of a Wolseley Hornet.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

For clarification, the Wolseley 1000 was built with the Austin/Morris Mini saloon car body with the front clip of a Wolseley Hornet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherlock, seems to me that Steve saw an Elf/Hornet ( Mini with boot ) without the Elf(ish) bonnet.
Thus 'trunk without bonnet', not 'bonnet without trunk'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Whee

Freshman Member
Most likely a custom job.

South Africa produced two unusual variants, both were Wolseleys rather than Rileys.
The MK 3 has the Hornet back and the standard Mini front. I'm not aware of any outside of South Africa.
The Wolseley 1000 has the Hornet front and standard Mini rear.
There are two outside of South Africa. I have one of them.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Nice rare car you have...

Is yours the one that is documented on the internet, where the owner drove it around the States to different shows and such after it was delivered? I see you mention that there are two of them here now...

We'd all love to see pictures! Of course...

Whee

Freshman Member
Yes it's that one that you reference!
Since then it's made a trip Seattle->Illinois and back to MM2004. That was before I purchased it; I drove my other Mini on that trek.