• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ugly cars?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Found this link about "Ugly cars" but I don't agree with all of there assessments. Specifically, I have always liked the Chevy El Camino as a dual purpose vehicle with the utrility of a truck but the look and ride of a car.

Ugly Cars

Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
But the car that it was based on was rather a plain-Jane, and the pickup attachment made it more homely still! The function was good, just no thought given to the form, methinks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Mini pickup was a similar idea, and Ford had a similar vehicle in Europe, based on the Cortina. This didn't appear until the late seventies, so it was based on the Mk IV, but the idea was continued with the Sierra. These were based on attractive vehicles, which helped.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Found this link about "Ugly cars" but I don't agree with all of there assessments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you not agreeing. I like a lot of the cars they show. I never thought the Edsel was all that bad. Hardly refer to the grill as urinal shaped either. Not too much different from the shape that Alfa Romeo has had for decades.

Old cliche - "it is all in the eyes of the beholder" - plus how much the media influences us one way or another.

Strange as it may seem, I think the Pacer is cool somehow. I always wanted to put something like a 500 hp engine in one with little if any outside changes and "surprise" people a bit. Same with a Gremlin.

The El Camino and the Ranchero are very cool in my eyes.

I owned a VW Thing here on Bonaire and it was both practical and fun.

Bruce

Steve_S

Yoda
I agree with all of them, except perhaps the Citation which is so ugly it's neat. The El Camino was practical, but that takes no points off the ugly score!

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If the El Camino is ugly, what about all the car-based "ute's" down under? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
But that's because being upside down all the time and having all the blood rushing to their heads makes the Aussies march to the beat of their own drum.......they do things a little differently down there. And long may they continue!

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
..., I think the Pacer is cool somehow. I always wanted to put something like a 500 hp engine in one with little if any outside changes and "surprise" people a bit. Same with a Gremlin....

[/ QUOTE ]
Got a buddy who's an AMC guy, apparently the same 390cid V8 from his Javelin is an easy bolt-in fit into a Gremlin using factory parts.

The Thing is ugly but it's a very cool ugly. Like an F-117 or a (real) HUMVEE they have no "styling". Their forms follow function in the purest sense. They aren't pretty but they function great and look cool.

The Edsel grill by itself might have looked OK. It's the fact that it's bolted into the front of a car that looks like a tile wall with chrome plumbing in a public restroom that makes the statement "Urinal".

The El Camino and Ranchero looked good in their muscle car heyday. Too bad GM didn't know when to quit. Not only is the Citation schnozzed unit pictured seriously ugly in its own right but it's also an embarrassment to fans and owners or earlier models.

PC.

daddytiger64

I am in trouble...they all look good to me. I know a guy who owns 5 Edels, my parents rented a Thing when we were on vacation in Hawaii years ago, I had a buddy with an Gremlin (even with a 304 V-8 it was fast), another friend had an AMC Pacer and a third was into El Caminos.

Personally I was expecting some really, really ugly cars...where people do all sorts of things to them

William

Darth Vader
I never thought Edsels looked all that bad, if a bit over the top chrome wise, but not extremely so when compared to other fifties American boats. The grille never bothered me, although it is quite unique.

I sorta like early El Caminos, when you could buy them with 396 big blocks and whatnot. Very sixties styling. The AMCs, to me are just plain dumpy (but again, compared to contemporary cars, unique, so I can see where they were going).

-William

TR3cubka

I dont know why people would call an el camino ugly. You might not like them, but i seriously dont think the belong on a list with the gremlin, pinto and thing...

Not to mention their donor model, the chevelle i think, was a pretty decent car in its own right, and both could be made wicked fast with the original V8 blocks. to each their own i guess, but for a car that ran from 59-88 they must not have been that ugly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I agree with all the cars on that list except for the el camino. I thought the earlier ones looked pretty good. I also really like the thing, cool little cars.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I just done with the british ugliest cars. Vey funny, although it did include the Daimler Dart and the Bugeye Sprite two cars I have always liked.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
I am in trouble...they all look good to me.

Personally I was expecting some really, really ugly cars...where people do all sorts of things to them

[/ QUOTE ]

Now for me the link below IS a really ugly car and I am with you Paul, I think those listed on that ugly page are all OK. Don't like the way they were written up either, saying paint came off etc. That has nothing to do with ugly.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...p;category=6472

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of them, except perhaps the Citation which is so ugly it's neat. The El Camino was practical, but that takes no points off the ugly score!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't explain why, but I always thought the El Camino was a sharp looking car, but then I've never been accused of having impeccable taste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

Basil

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Bruce I do agree, that cars got about 1500 pounds of ugly it hasn't thought of using yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That looks like something that was designed by Picaso on a bad acid trip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Basil