• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Classic collectable RV's

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Don't know what you think, but I'm convinced that the RV's from the period prior to the 1970's are worth saving (within reason), even some selected 1970's examples of RV's are semi-collectable.

I'm trying to gather together a picture collection of surviving RV's from those time periods and it's coming along very slowly, I realize that many of them still function fine and that their owners don't necessarily view them as collectable, but I wish some people would take the time to show them off sometimes.

I know that a wander through the Barrie Automotive Flea Market (back in my Ontario days) went by many of these older RV's that vendors owned, most of them were also very beat up...

I get the impression that people in England take much better care of their older RV's, and are far more active with RV meets. A classic RV combination at a show can be quite sharp looking, I've seen car show pictures of owners with a 1960's pickup sporting a period 1960's truck camper, nice looking units actually, also a nicely fixed up antique travel trailer behind a period car would look great at a car show but have never seen that yet.

Any classic RV collectors/owners out there in this crowd? Would love to see pictures of anything you come across and/or own... Another little piece of transportation history to research? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I've seen several small restored trailers (hard shell campers) that were probably fifties vintage at car events over the past couple of years.

Also, a local WW2 vet has several GMC motorhomes from the seventies that he's renovated - he drove one to Hershey (PA) last year with a few friends. These GMC's seem popular around here. They have a Oldsmobile V8 FWD unit like the Olds Toronado used and dual, tandem rear wheels. Anyone who saw the movie Stripes would recognize the GMC as the "Urban Assault Vehicle".

One of the guys who went to Hershey in the GMC last year liked it so much he bought one via eBay and is in the process of renovating it. Not an easy job.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
John Weimer over in Cape Girardeau, MO has an old Travco into which he shoehorned a modern Dodge/Chrysler diesel drivetrain

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
There is an old 20s trailer court in Bisbee Arizona that is now a B&B that provides accomodations in vintage trailers...

https://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/travel/articles/0718shadydell18.html

Pictures of some of the trailers at the Shady Dell...

https://homepage.mac.com/themugwump/PhotoAlbum4.html

On one of our club breakfast runs I spotted two vintage trailers in the restaurant parking lot and couldn't resist parking for this photo...

trailers2.JPG

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Have heard and read a little about the Ultravan's, have only seen one (that belongs to a well known collector in Ontario) and only saw that Ultravan the one time... unfortunately it was parked in a spot where it was hard to get a good picture...

Have also seen once an old Commer (Hillman/Rootes) motorhome here in Alberta, and I know a guy in British Columbia who has a 1970 Bedford CF camper van (have seen his pictures), there are some neat import campers over here and some neat older domestic ones too.

I suppose my fascination with RV's stems from growing up around them, as my dad regularly towed a small travel trailer around on vacations around Alberta, we'd usually head up to the mountains, once we went with it to Expo 86 in Vancouver, B.C. and another trip was up to northern Alberta (Lesser Slave Lake region). He always towed an older trailer, 1970's-vintage even into more recent years, there are lots of the old 1970's travel trailers still being used regularly here in Alberta.

Anyway... I have a small collection of classic RV pictures in this photo account - https://community.webshots.com/user/sherlock_canuck

Always looking for more...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Haines, Alaska...there's an old RV for sale on the north side of the Haines Highway inside town near main intersection...I mean, real old - '60's!

64Spitfire

One of my neighbors had friends from out of state visit them and they showed up in an Ultravan. First and only time I had ever seen one of these Corvairs. I’d love to have one, or a 1947 Flxible Clipper bus!