• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WOW..I used to have one of those!

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yesterday three of us took our TR3A's to a local come as you are car show. Some of everything there...but really its a chrome and flame event. We are always amazed how many guys stop by to check the TR's over...and wind up saying "You know...I used to have one of those Triumphs...it was the most fun car I ever owned!"
That was my story too...and I was lucky enough to find a great builder and now get to enjoy it all over again.
How about you...how many times have you been told that "I used to have one of those Triumphs...." story? Gil

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I get that all the time driving around SoCal. pretty much guaranteed to have at least one person come over with a story and wistful look in their eye every time I stop to get gas. I love it...

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Given that fewer yhan 25,000 Heralds were sold in the US, I've been surprised in the last seven years how many times I've also gotten the "I used to have one" line from people. I've even encountered a couple of Brits (tourists or expatriates) who reminisced about learning to drive on a Herald.

Heralds were very popular driving school cars back then in England, and I can understand why, as they really are incredibly easy to drive...or to learn to drive on. Case in point: my son got his license last summer on an automatic. My ex- temporarily gave him her old Saturn five-speed to use until the autobox Paseo he had was roadworthy. The Saturn admittedly was a bit tired and cantankerous, but it totally flustered my son. Twenty minutes in the Herald, and he was a: driving almost like he'd been at it for years; b: back to being enthusiastic about manual shift cars; and c: ready to steal the Herald from me. (Thankfully, we got the Paseo going shortly thereafter, and the Saturn returned to its rightful place on my ex's front lawn with a FOR SALE sign...where it's sat ever since!) My son still plans to borrow the Herald for his Senior Dinner-Dance...where I'll wager at least one teacher or chaperone will say "I remember those little cars...." :wink:

Oh, and as for those "chrome and flame" events, recently I've found that those and local "cruise nights" have attendees far more appreciative of a wide variety of both stocks and customs/rods. That includes the Herald and other LBCs, late 1940s stock Studebaker pickups and early 1940s Packards...as well as lead sleds, highboys and pro-street cars!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
GilsTR said:
...how many times have you been told that "I used to have one of those Triumphs...."story?

Sometimes I think every TR3 has had 50 owners, or else they really built a million of them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
At least once I've gotten both "had one of those" and "what is it" from the same person. Turns out he had had a Sprite. "One of those" to him meant "British Sports car", rather than "59 TR3A".

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I had just bought my TR3. You know, that period that your still finding out what needs to be repaired. Anyway, I was burning out coils one after another. I had coasted into a parking lot with no ignition and was waiting for the tow truck.

The first guy who stopped had proposed to his wife in a TR3.

The second guy had driven his brothers during college.

The third guy had been a fighter pilot in Europe during the 50s and had raced both TR3s and XK120s.

I've owned it for 4 years now, and the stories keep coming.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
gsalt57tr3 said:
You know, that period that your still finding out what needs to be repaired.
Oh, you mean that magical time before you finally get rid of it!
:devilgrin:

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
The latest quote I have, from a parking lot attendant. "Oh, I thought you had a triumph, but its an MG. I used to have one." I was driving the TR4... The TR gets more attention than my corvette used to..

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, lots of the "I used to have one" comments, but as others have stated, many seem to mix the MG, Triumph and AHs in there muddy memory, but even when its a different car, it usually starts with "I used to have one just like it" and many times as the conversation goes on you realize that "just like it" is a pretty fuzzy concept to some people.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR3driver said:
At least once I've gotten both "had one of those" and "what is it" from the same person. Turns out he had had a Sprite. "One of those" to him meant "British Sports car", rather than "59 TR3A".

A few years back while I was visiting a friend, I mentioned I was thinking of getting a TR3. He said that a guy had one for sale on their front yard not far from his place. And it was cheap, just a couple thousand. I said OK let's take a look. Turned out it was a Karmann Ghia coupe. He's really only into Mustangs and as far as he's concerned all of those little two seat foreign cars are the same. I had a hard time convincing him it wasn't a Triumph TR3.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Years ago, my old girlfriend and I had some people over. A girl said to me that I should look at the car a guest had driven.

"What is it?"

"One like yours."

I thought, "Wow, a TR3!"

I think that some folks have a different idea about the definition of "like".

It was a Checker Marathon.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Twosheds said:
Years ago, my old girlfriend and I had some people over. A girl said to me that I should look at the car a guest had driven.

"What is it?"

"One like yours."

I thought, "Wow, a TR3!"

I think that some folks have a different idea about the definition of "like".

She meant...one like yours as in 'old'

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Twosheds said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Best laugh I've had all day!

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
I have to agree with this post as I have the same inquires no matter where I go \

funny thing is more people find the TR more interesting than any other I drive

less the Esprit got to love that funky Lotus orange

OP
G

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have enjoyed all the posts...I figured many of you had also enjoyed the "I had one of those" experiences! This past year I have gone out to buy a TR3A from a owner who said his wife wanted it "Gone"! Well...it was a MG midget. Drove 30 miles to get another TR3A...and it was a MGB. Close...but no cigar!
I agree that the "Chrome & flame guys" do appreciate our LBC.
I we always take time to appreciate the talent & hard work they have done. Gil

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've gotten many "There's one for sale just like it"
stories.When I go & look at the car,it's a kit car,or some-
-thing not even close.But if you don't go look at it,you'll
find one of your friends driving a pristine,garage kept,TR3
in perfect condition - that he bought from the original owner,
for $500.

- Doug