• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What Spark Plug?

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
I searched the archives, honest.

I have a 77B, with Weber and headers. It's new to me so I am not sure what is happening internally.

This evening I am going to be installing a Pertronix into my 25D with a Flamethrower.

I am looking for a suitable inferno to develop inside my combustion chamber so what spark plug should I procure?

The Pertronix stockists said that I need to gap at 30 thou, do yah'all (sorry for the vernacular) concur?

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Personally, I have always liked NGK plugs. BPR6ES is what I have plugged in right now. I have run Bosch, Champion, Delco, and even Splitfire (waste of money), but I have always gone back to the NGK plugs.

Just my $.02

V6MGB

Same for me.
I used Champions both in my Mini and the B for years but had three fail straight from the box. Changed over to NGK and never went back.

I too have tried the rest over some number of years including the Splitfire , multi poles (two three and four)and most of the main brands and ended up going back to NGK.
Get them anywhere , the price is right and they work 100% until they are replaced.

If the car is new and you are not sure what the PO has done then I would stay with the recommendation from the ignition stockists.
If you run the car and think a change is in order at least you have some background baseline to work from.

Good luck , Pete.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All I'd say is avoid th' Bosch plats in th' Brit mill. Champions have worked well, NGK too. Of th' two I'd pick th' NGKs for your engine. Just pay attention and do some plug cuts fer fun.

OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
Okay I installed the Pertronix and flamethrower plus the specific NGK plugs mentioned above. I did not move the dizzy.

Car did not start afterward and I had a captured audience (Kids and the Wife - oh the shame).

After I checked and triple checked my wiring's, I rotated the dizzy clockwise and she purred to life. Will break down and pick up a timing gun this week.

Why would timing have changed just from installing new points?

Also I changed the fuel filter. All sorts of interesting stuff came out and were in the pleats. The in carb filter also had some sediments.

On the shakedown drive the car drove the best it's driven so far but there was a slight hesitation from transitioning from 40 to 60 mph. When it got to say 50mph it acts as if there is a turbo adn just picks right up and scoots.

Any thoughts?

I am thinking perhaps maybe the Weber needs to be cleaned.

MGZT260

Jedi Hopeful
The igniter does not install such that the "break" in the light occurs at exactly the same time BTDC as the original points. Lesson learned, even when installing replacement points throw a timing light and dwell tach on for preliminary settings as worn distributor shafts will throw off a feeler set gap by enough to make an engine not fire. Nobody I'm aware of sells shim bushes for distributor shafts for these like AC-Delco had for 1930's-1940's GM straight 8s.

On the plus side for breakerless electronic ignition, first time I did one I went from 30-40 seconds cranking with chokes fully engaged to 10 second or less cranking with only part choke required -that much better of a spark and that was igniter only, no hot coil.

V6MGB

Quicksilver,
Good to hear you are both mobile and enjoying it too.

The hesitation might be an indication the carb needs a clean and , given the rest of the fuel system had signs of rubbish in it , I would do it in any case just as a precaution.

Clearly it is not urgent and I would have a check on the distributor first.Worn bushings and drive gear slop can all contribute to spark scatter which will take the edge off the performance you are seeking.
Also check the vacuum operation of the advance curve. A sticking plate can also cause hesitation.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers , Pete.