• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

choke connection 67B

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I can't seem to understand this system. How am I supposed to pull the choke lever up from below the lever? I know to bring the cable up through the abutment, and then lock it through the ferrule above. But if it's locked in place how can pulling on it move it, much less raise it?
There is a little play at the dash, perhaps a quarter inch. I'd love to see a picture of a working unit.
There is also a new development of a sticking throttle, I've traced it to the new throttle cable sort of binding in the sheathing, I'll be driving along and it will stick unless I hit the gas pedal very sharply. It's almost as if there should be a return spring on the pedal assembly,but it's not there.
Mike

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Mike - The trick is that the inner and outer sheath move in relation to one another. If one of them is fixed solidly, and you pull on the choke knob, the other will move. This seems counter intuitive, but it works and works well. there was just a discussion about this on (dare I say it) The MG Experience, MGB Forum.
Cheers,

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Dave,
I guess I'll need to really tighten up the connection at the dash, as it is a tiny bit sloppy. I'll heed the advice to disconnect the battery.The real pita is that we had it set up correctly a week ago before we had to pull the unit again to correctly install the throw out bearing fork. I have never understood it, but I'm smart enough to know that I'm not smart enough to understand everything. As long it works, that is fine. But with the current hookup, I'm not getting any movement on the cable at all, nada. Bupkus. Hopefully with a tighter connection of the knob it will improve. That makes about as much sense as pulling up from below. The explanation over at the experience was very good indeed.
Mike

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. The outer sheath is doin' the "work" in this case. Kinda: "Push-me-pull-you".

The "slop" can be taken up at the inner cable attachment point on the air cleaner bracket. Tightening the bezel behind the dash can be a challenge, DO heed the "disconnect battery before attempting any repairs" advice. Smoke escapes rapidly when you're upside-down under there. A "crow's foot" can make that job easier. Can't recall the size of the nut (they vary with cable mfgr anyway) but it's near-impossible with a regular line wrench.

Sorry I couldn't get a photo to ya, Mike. We were sittin' on a restaurant patio havin' an outdoor lunch with friends. I was pleased to take your call, just not in any condition/position to render aid. 200 miles south, island visit.

And don't hesitate to call <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> time. That was an impromptu trip, a welcome retreat. Had we been at th' hovel it would have been different. Profuse apologies!

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Doc, not to worry. Nothing to apologize for at your end. Sorry to bother you on a Saturday, I know the office hours. :wink: Turns out no matter how many times I ask that choke question I get the same answer, "It's supposed to work that way" Definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over and over and expect different results. Still you gotta wonder why they decided that three left turns was better than one right.
Mike

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As far as the sticking throttle goes, there should not be a return spring on the pedal. The return springs are on the engine side of the carb unit. There should be three springs total as far as I know. If the cable itself is what is sticking no amount of springs will keep it from getting stuck. I would imagine the issue is a frayed cable as they are wound and rather stiff, which can lead to fraying. I've found the G string from a bass guitar is an acceptable roadside replacement for a bad cable, though I wouldn't use it any longer than it took to get the car home as I can't speak for the reliability in the long run. Always handy to keep random junk in your toolbox, has kept me from expensive towings a few times.

(Kensai not realizing he was signed in as Bcliff...)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Personality conflicts?!? :jester:

Bicycle brake cable, Teflon lined type, inna glovebox.

Kensai

DrEntropy said:
:lol:

Personality conflicts?!? :jester:

Bicycle brake cable, Teflon lined type, inna glovebox.

Thankfully no...

Bcliff is my father. I was posting from a laptop he is normally logged in on while I was away from my regular computer and did not consider that I was logged in as someone other than myself.

I suppose bicycle cable would work but it just wouldn't have the sweet ratcheting feel/sound that you get from a wound guitar string...

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Turned out to be the new throttle cable just needed a little white grease, problem solved. Now I just need to re-install the gear shift lever, I installed it backwards and it was hitting the chrome trim ring when trying to go into third. You'd think if you could only install something one of two ways, that you'd have a fifty-fifty chance of getting it right. Not me! So far on this tranny replacement I've installed both the throw out bearing and the gearshift lever bassackwards, fortunately the lever is a tad easier to fix.