• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Suspension

bighly

Jedi Knight
I am staged to go through my BT7's suspension.
As a somewhat agressive driver, I am leaning towards stiffing up the entire lot. Does anyone have the "racing" cylinders in their armstrongs or have experience with these (available from Moss)? Also was thinking to add a aftermarket rear anti sway from British Victoria. I have also seen neoprene bushings that assist in increasing the effectivness of the anti sway bars (reduced busing squash). Thoughts, comments, and shared experience would be greatly appreciated here. I will probably do the rear first:
-Leaf springs
-Armstrongs (well leftys)
-Stiffer shock inserts (advertised as racing)
-Rear anti sway
-neoprene bushings
-Anything rubber or resembling what used to be rubber :smile:.

Your advice here is greatly appreciated.

Scott Brunkhurst

Jedi Hopeful
Bighly,

Are you going to be racing your Healey? If not, I would suggest you just update your equipment with new stock parts. These old cars are stiff enough as it is and the extra stress is probably not a good idea unless your going thru everything. I have an uprated suspension and it is not a fun drive on typical new england roads.

SB

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Due to the poor quality of rubber suspension parts most have experienced lately from the large parts houses, I would recommend using the neoprene bushings. If your just going to drive the car on highways, I wouldn't change the rear suspension (panhard rod) or replace the shocks internally. If you want a stiffer ride, you could go with stiffer springs in front and rear, also replace the shock oil with a heavier viscosity. That should do it.
Good Luck, Johnny, 59bn7
thirsty.gif

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bighly,

I agree with Scott, at least for the rear. Stiffness here will definately translate into jarring your fillings. Unfortunately, our California roads are not what they used to be, and I certainly feel every imperfection in my BN4. Also, if Victoria British sells the ADDCO rear bar, I couldn't get it to fit well and ended up not installing it. It's suppose to attach to the shock links and there isn't enough thread on the link to go all the way through the nut with the sway bar link attached.

Instead of stiffening the shocks and adding a rear anti-sway bar, make sure your springs are good or replace them both. Don't replace just one. I agree with replacing the all the "rubber". Replace the bushings on the Panhard rod with polyurethane bushings (They're the same size as the front sway bar bushings). This will help side-to-side movement.

At the front, increase the anti-sway bar size and use polyurethane bushings here, especially on the end links. I've lowered my front end about 3/4" and used an offset bushing for the upper a-arm that allows me to dial in negative camber. If you're really aggresive, you may need to reinforce the lower a-arm mounts up front. For racing, these would be reinforced, as would the engine mount brackets.

cheers.gif

John

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
Great advice from all. So I will try the following:

-Renew bushings with neoprene front and rear.
-Renew front springs and rear leaf springs
-Renew shocks (stock)
-Renew king-pins
- ball joints

If I still desire a more tooth jarring ride:

-uprate front sway bar
-uprate shocks

Any suggested sources would be welcomed

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think just having new leaf springs is going to make your ride much better...mine where added a few weeks ago...and the ride is much smoother...however I do also have an anti sway bar...so it hard to tell which is doing what...cornering is very tight...all I need now is get behind the wheel of my car and then with a little shot of adrenaline...I'm going to give some cop writer's cramps...
rolleyes.gif

Red Healey's make great targets...
shocked.gif

tlthorne

Jedi Hopeful
Try the stock suspension first with new bushings
andother worn parts replaced. Then if you wanna
make it stiffer some good recomendations in the
Vintage Racing British Cars(pretty sure thats the name of it). He has listed some of the common
upgrades. You didnt mention if you had wires or
disc wheels, the tires will make a big difference
in the way the car handles, as much as some mods.
Good Luck!

tt
clueless near st.louis
thirsty.gif

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
Great point. I have a new set of Michlin ZX 175/15s from Coker Tire mounted on a pretty sorry set of wire wheels. I will be renewing the wire wheels as soon as I can get a kitchen pass.

Scott Brunkhurst

Jedi Hopeful
If your going to replace the wheels, make sure you check the splined hubs. If they are in poor condition they will ruin your new wheels. Also, if your going to upgrade for H.D. use you might want to have the spindles magnafluxed in the corners where the inner wheel bearings sit. They tend to stress crack. You can get replacements from Dennis Welch.

SB