• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tsikuris Classics?

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I contacted Paul Tsikuris today of Tsikuris Classics in Lakeland, Florida about painting my car when it's ready.
He's a real nice guy and has restored a ton of pretty neat English cars, as well as others.

I've spent the last few weeks contacting and talking with other restoration type oufits all over the country, but all were so far away that I just didn't want to send my car to them. I can haul it on a trailer to FL. It's definitely a road trip, but not that bad.

I saw his advertisement in British Motoring and did a little research on his shop. He sounds very impressive, and so far is my number one choice. They restored a Jag last year that won a Pebble Beach, so they must know how to do it.

The price he quoted me was not as outrageous as I thought it would be. It's not cheap by any means, but not the 15 to 20k price tag I was expecting to hear.

Have you guys ever heard of him before?

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Nope, but appearantly hes got a pretty good reputation. I found this, and the statement of "prepped to a higher standard by Paul Tsikuris of Tsikuris Classics" kinda says a lot to me.
https://www.race-cars.com/carsold/austinhl/ah3000/ah3000ss.htm

And this...
"Paul is one of the best classic British auto restorers in the world, so if you want to drive a beauty like this, try Tsikuris Classics in Lakeland, Florida"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3yzu2tUB0g

And hes been featured on CNN...
https://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/moneymag_archive/1991/06/01/86596/index.htm

Lots and lots of sites and real powerful responses from everyone about this guy and the work he does...

Before, During, and After Pics of one of his Jobs...
https://www.wintermeyer.com/Joe's Big Healey Page.htm

Seems to have a good name with the Tampa Bay Austin Healey Club as well.

So... I say you found yourself a superb option.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't trust anyone with two consonants to start there last name, maybe two vowels LOL:smile:

carpoor

Freshman Member
Paul does outstanding work. However he farms out the paint work to a very high quality painter across the state.
Paul has a reputation of not exactly disclosing what it will really cost - he will do the metal repair and prep work to get it ready for the painter. There are many customers that have wound up spending $50-75k on their car with Paul. Make no mistake - the work is first-rate and beautiful - just know what you are getting into.
If you want nothing but perfection then you will get it - just be prepared to pay the price.

OP
Tabcon

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I'm a general contractor and have a similar reputation as Paul, that is we do high quality work, not run up a ridiculous bill. If he wouldn't sign an agreement at the start, then I wouldn't deal with him. I would hope that he would realize the market value of a TR4, as opposed to say a 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS. We discussed this the other day and he seems to understand the concept...lol. Besides, there really is no body work as all the panels are brand new and I'm painting the interior of all them as well as the entire tub interior and bottom.. All he has to do is fit the body panels and prep it for painting.

I can see charging that much for a full blown restoration, but I don't know anyone, and i know some fairly serious collectors, who would spend that on a paint job unless it was a car worth upwards of a million.

I would expect a 10 to 20K bill, hopefully somewhere in the middle.

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Tab,

Maybe before you send the car to him, have him sign a contract stating that the most you are going to pay is 15K (of whatever you think is your limit). Then if he comes back with a 20K bill you have some protection.

Cheers.

OP
Tabcon

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
We use a cost plus contract with a maximum cost limit all the time. You'd have to be nuts to sign an open ended cost plus contract since what it really equates to is a license to print your own money. Another way would be to use what is called a cost plus fixed fee contract. The contractor charges a set amount of money to be paid in stages over the course of the job and the customer pays all the invoices as they are presented. This type of contract is starting to be used more and more lately. It works!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tab- Just because the panels are new doesn't mean there isn't any prep. I was amazed at how much work my Brand new Bonnet,boot and door skins needed when I had them painted. A good paint job will show all the low and hi areas.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mkutz said:
A good paint job isn't cheap, and a cheap paint job isn't good.

But a 15k paint job on a TR4 is much more than what's practical/necessary.
You have to be able to get a great PJ for much less.

4aKen

Jedi Trainee
My first respray was from a guy who advertised, "I'll paint any car any color for just 29.95." I think they washed the car first.